Draft Strategy: McBeane Absolutely Must Draft Around the Offense this Year

Ronin

Any GM that goes into the draft with a mentality of "we have to draft (any position other than franchise QB)" should be fired.

Draft for value and all will be well.

Unless you don't have a franchise QB and didn't just draft a potential franchise QB last year (and even then you can still take another).

Otherwise, it's value over everything else. Highest grade at a premium position on days 1 and 2. Best players available on day 3.

• Like (+1) 2

The focus on the short game bit ignoring Beasley was frustrating. Also there was a weird part of John Brown is only a deep option but he doesnt have a lot of TDs over 30 yards or something. Surprised he didn’t fit the silly Allen had the longest time to throw of anyone in the league in there. 

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Draft strategy in 3 steps:

1. Evaluate and list the the best cultural, scheme and athletic fits

2. Value where/when they should be drafted 

3. draft the best guy available when it’s your turn while staying alert to move up or down to get good value 

its that simple. 

Yep. And stated in a few thousand less words than the OP.

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Unfortunately, I did. Reader's Digest Version: If Allen continues to play the way he has he will not only not reach franchise level, he will not even reach above average level.  He needs tons and tons of offensive help and 24 hour a day coaching (mere experience won't cut it) or he will never overcome his "handicaps" and "terminal errors." The chances for it actually happening are small and if anyone doesn't believe what he does, then you fall in the "rainbows, unicorns, and lollipop contingent ."

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     So why didn't he just say that in 3 lines!

• Haha (+1) 1

I still think that, if he's there, they will draft DK Metcalf to help Josh Allen and the offense. I posted an analysis of him on the DK breakdown thread done by the Draft Network. The analyst says "he's an accuracy fixer" and that he's at Deandre Hopkins level on 50/50 balls. Says he's a red zone threat already and his drops are over exaggerated

Edited by the skycap

I think that young talent is needed on offense more so than defense.  That will be weighted into account when they put their board together. The draft could fall so many ways.  If they get 3 ace defenders with their top 3 picks.  I wouldn't love it but I think they have enough to win with a dominant defense.  

It seems the FO has already done most of what OP is calling for.

They've built the offense to Josh Allen's strengths. It's custom fit for a big, raw, power running QB with a monster arm.

They have 2 legitimate deep speed WRs. Deep routes take time to develop. That's why the Oline was rebuilt with a strong eye toward pass protection. Most of the OL they signed excel in that department. 

When you have time for the play to develop, deep speed WRs on both sides of the field, and a QB with a cannon for an arm, the defense has to respect the deep ball and gets stretched out. That leaves a lot of green for a QB like Allen to rip big runs. If they spy him he has Beasley working the slot, and pass-catching TEs & RBs to exploit the holes that creates in the coverage

The overall level of talent leaves room for improvement, but the design is perfect for Allen's skill set.

And although we could benefit from more talent on offense, there are elite defensive prospects at the top of this draft. I'd much rather get a pro-bowl pass rusher or shutdown corner who can dominate for the next 10 years than a pretty good offensive player who fills a perceived need.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

It seems the FO has already done most of what OP is calling for.

They've built the offense to Josh Allen's strengths. It's custom fit for a big, raw, power running QB with a monster arm.

They have 2 legitimate deep speed WRs. Deep routes take time to develop. That's why the Oline was rebuilt with a strong eye toward pass protection. Most of the OL they signed excel in that department. 

When you have time for the play to develop, deep speed WRs on both sides of the field, and a QB with a cannon for an arm, the defense has to respect the deep ball and gets stretched out. That leaves a lot of green for a QB like Allen to rip big runs. If they spy him he has Beasley working the slot, and pass-catching TEs & RBs to exploit the holes that creates in the coverage

The overall level of talent leaves room for improvement, but the design is perfect for Allen's skill set.

And although we could benefit from more talent on offense, there are elite defensive prospects at the top of this draft. I'd much rather get a pro-bowl pass rusher or shutdown corner who can dominate for the next 10 years than a pretty good offensive player who fills a perceived need.

? Best post in the thread.

The OP says they have to build the offense.  Last year they got a QB, this year they got two WRs, a TE, a veteran former All Pro RB, two WRs (one of whom gives the short passing game the OP howls about), and 6 O linemen.  But to the OP that's not good enough, because in his infinite wisdom they needed to get better players. So let's say they do go offense in the draft, say a WR, TE, and a T.  We all know he'll just say those weren't good picks.  Such a troll.

Edited by oldmanfan

16 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Oh and for a finale OP doesn't make any clear suggestions here.

That calls for some unicorn flatulence!

image.jpeg.e9f1965ab90c8533237e7a68e7589659.jpeg

LOL @ Unicorn flatulence!  ;) 

Fully appreciate the sense of humor.  

This draft is quite solid with OL-men.  As well, very good blocking TEs can easily be had on day-3.  We really don't need a receiving TE more than Allen needs time.  As it goes, if you don't make optimal use of the weapons that you have, new ones won't be as effective as they're supposed to be either.  

If I were them I'd try to build the modern equivalent of The Hogs around Allen.  Won't happen in one season, and he may not need it if he can correct his tendencies, but the more options they have the better the odds that the OL will be better and more effective.  Wouldn't you agree?  Resting upon what we have, which is hardly a group of above-average OL-men with a history of starting effectively, and despite a plethora of mid-grade options there, isn't likely to produce anything close to that. 

Also, keep in mind that chemistry along the OL takes more time to develop than chemistry anywhere else on the team.  By my observances over decades, it takes an OL a good 6-8 weeks to gel with one another.  The more and better long-term options we have bode better for chemistry as such.  These two-year contracts hardly scream out confidence in that way and strongly suggest at least something about the caliber of players signed.  

15 hours ago, fansince88 said:

@TaskersGhostany chance I could get the Spark Notes edition. Im not going to read the book

Nope, not possible.  Apparently you didn't get past even that first sentence however.  :) 

This is my way of sorting out whom I put on ignore.  ;)

13 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Feeling better now, @TaskersGhost?

As a matter of fact, yes.  ;)

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Absolutely Must?? As in, you’ll fire him if he doesn’t? Oh, the horror!

No, I didn’t bother to read your epic. I just got a new eyeglass prescription and have no desire to speed up the next one. Take it back to the typewriter, proofread it and subtract 2/3rds if you want anybody to bother reading it.

From a moderator no less.  

Apparently you didn't bother to even read the first sentence either, huh.  :)

1 minute ago, TaskersGhost said:

LOL @ Unicorn flatulence!  ;) 

Fully appreciate the sense of humor.  

This draft is quite solid with OL-men.  As well, very good blocking TEs can easily be had on day-3.  We really don't need a receiving TE more than Allen needs time.  As it goes, if you don't make optimal use of the weapons that you have, new ones won't be as effective as they're supposed to be either.  

If I were them I'd try to build the modern equivalent of The Hogs around Allen.  Won't happen in one season, and he may not need it if he can correct his tendencies, but the more options they have the better the odds that the OL will be better and more effective.  Wouldn't you agree?  Resting upon what we have, which is hardly a group of above-average OL-men with a history of starting effectively, and despite a plethora of mid-grade options there, isn't likely to produce anything close to that. 

Also, keep in mind that chemistry along the OL takes more time to develop than chemistry anywhere else on the team.  By my observances over decades, it takes an OL a good 6-8 weeks to gel with one another.  The more and better long-term options we have bode better for chemistry as such.  These two-year contracts hardly scream out confidence in that way and strongly suggest at least something about the caliber of players signed.  

I do see the need for a flexible OT/G as part of long term OL solution.  Risner from KSU is prototype.  Could be there in the 3rd.  And a C/G prospect like McCoy from Texas A&M. Spain is young and OBD could sign to a long term deal if he plays well this year. To your point OBD need to find long term, replacements for Nsekhe and Long.

Another big WR and a TE would help too.  All could see playing time this year.

I am very concerned about the absence of a 3T on our DL given Kyle's retirement.  Also need an Edge rusher to help increase pass rush.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, freddyjj said:

I do see the need for a flexible OT/G as part of long term OL solution.  Risner from KSU is prototype.  Could be there in the 3rd.  And a C/G prospect like McCoy from Texas A&M. Spain is young and OBD could sign to a long term deal if he plays well this year. To your point OBD need to find long term, replacements for Nsekhe and Long.

Another big WR and a TE would help too.  All could see playing time this year.

I am very concerned about the absence of a 3T on our DL given Kyle's retirement.  Also need an Edge rusher to help increase pass rush.  

Like I plainly stated, repeatedly, if Allen doesn't make leaps and bounds in progress we're looking at a new HC and GM.  So much for Allen then.  

No one wants to see that.  Defense ain't going to correct that.  

This is going to be a very telling and interesting season and an epiphany for a lot of people if you ask me.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, klos63 said:

Was this really necessary? Since you generally don't draft for special teams, you have 2 other options, offense and defense.  They will address both , i guarantee it.

I'm glad I don't have the time or desire to write such a piece that hardly anyone will bother reading in it's entirety.

I thought I explained that in the first sentence.  

[This is a long read, so most you should simply ignore it. A handful will appreciate it if not enjoy it.  You know who you are.] 

Hmmm, why am I shocked and stunned, NOT, that so many people what, ignored it, can't comprehend it, agree with it but for some inexplicable reason are impelled to comment on it, etc.?  LOL  

Great study in human nature and particularly forum behavior.  

It's good humor tho.  As I said, part of my intent in posting it was to increase my ignore list tremendously.  This makes that task simple.  ;) 

17 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Wow.  Are you a lawyer?  Bombastic is a kind way to describe your writing style.

I will leave the remaining roster tasks to be completed prior to the season to the professionals at OBD.

Well, we'll find out this season if it was bombastic, won't we.  ;)

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The gist is if anyone thinks the FA was good they live in a world represented in the picture below.

FWIW, I think the OP should go out on a date.

rainbows unicorns lollipops.jpg

Thanks for reading it! 

Great pic BTW!!  LOL  Love it!  

17 hours ago, Warcodered said:

So you're saying we're good at QB then.

You're intelligent, right?  Is that what I said?  

17 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Someone don't. If you can't make your point in under 5 sentences it's probably best not to try.

I'd say two sentences, but yeah, that pretty much sums up forum mentalities perfectly.  :) 

Nicely done!  

Of course then you have the same people complaining that you didn't substantiate your position.  You can't make that stuff up.  

• Like (+1) 1