Sean Payton not a fan of hiring HCs based on trends

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well maybe he is not a fan of the Saints following that trend and replace him.

I get what he’s saying. I agree and think teams shouldn’t be trendy - if it means overlooking key experience or leadership traits. Wasn’t he that guy once upon a time though?

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Salty from the wonderboy getting a shot at the big dance (and failing miserably) on a bs play.

Didn't seem salty at all.  Seems like he's acknowledging what we all know; hiring someone because their background on paper follows a similar trend as the latest success story instead of based on that person's merit has a higher likelihood to fail than succeed.  If you ask me he's saying he can't wait to play the Cardinals...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I get what he’s saying. I agree and think teams shouldn’t be trendy - if it means overlooking key experience or leadership traits. Wasn’t he that guy once upon a time though?

I mnean - QB coach for 3 years, O coordinator for 3 years, Asst. HC for 3 years.  3 years as Parcells Assistant - who i assume gave him a positive recommendation.  

Zach Taylor was O coordinator for 1 year in 2015 with Miami after they fired someone.  And they hired him simply because he worked under McVay.  Kingsbury has at least coached some teams - he was a head coach for 6 years at Texas Tech.... He also got fired from that job.  LaFleurs bounced around a bit, but he was again hired as a mcVay guy.  

Thats 3 new HC's who are all hired to try and find the next McVay - i think thats what he's pointing to.  And i think he's probably right that most of these guys flame out.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mnean - QB coach for 3 years, O coordinator for 3 years, Asst. HC for 3 years.  3 years as Parcells Assistant - who i assume gave him a positive recommendation.  

Zach Taylor was O coordinator for 1 year in 2015 with Miami after they fired someone.  And they hired him simply because he worked under McVay.  Kingsbury has at least coached some teams - he was a head coach for 6 years at Texas Tech.... He also got fired from that job.  LaFleurs bounced around a bit, but he was again hired as a mcVay guy.  

Thats 3 new HC's who are all hired to try and find the next McVay - i think thats what he's pointing to.  And i think he's probably right that most of these guys flame out.

Yeah, he had a ton more experience than those guys (who I’m highly skeptical will be successful) 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah, he had a ton more experience than those guys (who I’m highly skeptical will be successful) 

LaFleur's got the best shot to be successful - as he has Rodgers.  Who is better than Murray and Dalton/whomever.  McCarthy was really holding that offense back, so just even remotely good playcalling should get that team to be pretty good. 

Zona has a pretty rough roster, thats gonna be tough.  Buys himself a year with the new QB maybe?  Especially after they were awful back to back years.

Cincy started 4-1/5-3 last year before like everyone got hurt.  Their Defense is really slow and their offense will now officially be without Eifert/Kroft.  They're worse than they were a year ago, and they weren't great.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

You identify a need or goal for an organization and try to find fits to fill it.

you have to give some consideration to trends but have to be careful. For instance right now it’s hard to keep a successful OC in place so I’d give extra weight to having an offensive head coach for continuity sake. But I’d also want that guy to have a lot of key characteristics- things like innovative and flexible, not always young. Or data driven and confident to make the right call even if it looks terrible on ESPN when you come up on the wrong side of the odds.

some of the qualities lend themselves to youth but it shouldn’t be the driver 

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm so glad we went with the experienced Dick Jauron instead of the young offensive guru in Sean Payton.  

Haha, that was a close one.

Payton had to pay his dues before he got his shot.  Not surprising that he'd like to see the new generation do the same.

Edited by Buffalo86

53 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm so glad we went with the experienced Dick Jauron instead of the young offensive guru in Sean Payton.  

Talk about polar opposites!

Sean Payton calling an onside kick to open the second half of the Super Bowl - playing against Peyton Manning, no less - was arguably the most un-Jauron move the NFL has ever seen.

What I gather from Payton is that he's not so much talking about "trends" as he's talking about "coaching trees." BB disciples have been given how many opportunities and what is their success rate? I think it's zero. McVay has spawned a bunch of mini me's. There's no way to know for sure how they'll fare, but I think that's what Payton was driving at.

It's possible for a young and inexperienced head coach to be successful, but I think they need to be wise enough to hire good experienced assistants.  Sean McVay hired Wade Phillips tor run his defense.  There aren't many who are better.Sean McDermott had more experience than many of the young guys getting jobs now, but almost all of the assistants he hired that first year had loads of experience.  Some of those who were not as effective as he wanted have since been replaced by younger more hands on and energetic assistants as McDermott has gotten a better feel for his job.     

He is right.  Half of the hires were because of every owner wants the next "Sean McVay".  On his own resume and interview McVay got hired.  When you set out to find "this" type of anything you are not looking at everything from an open mind.  McVay has 12 years of NFL experience before getting hired by the Rams.  You could realistically go much longer because he grew up in and around the inter working of the league.  I expect alot of these guys to be out quickly.  In terms of pull?  When Mcvay brings with him Phillips as DC that is all anyone needs to know about how he was viewed by his peers.  Some of these guys had real issues putting together pro staffs.  That's a major problem.  

Edited by Mat68