Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kirby Jackson

New Stadium Talk as of owner’s meetings

Recommended Posts

I suppose that this can be combined with other thread but feels like it should be broken out. Now that we are in peak offseason this is a good time to discuss the comments of Terry and Kim.

 

 

Above are some tweets from @john wawrow that he took away from yesterday. It sure sounded that way to me as well. What were your thoughts???

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't move the stadium downtown!! 

 

I have been to plenty of stadiums across the league and downtown stadiums have the worst tailgating.  St.Louis was the worst that I have been to.  The only thing going on outside of the stadium were street vendors peddling their souvenirs.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Skeptical 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as the team stays in WNY I don't care where they put the damn stadium.  Fans will come.

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on this are pretty simple. Wherever it goes next is going to be a “business decision” not a fan experience decision. What is best for the government and best for the Pegulas are not necessarily the same. It will almost certainly be a public/private deal. The expression “split the difference” is a little ironic IMO. That’s how I see this thing playing out. 

 

The Pegulas want to maximize revenue and the government wants to minimize cost. My guess is 65,000 seats, downtown (somewhere), with a price tag in the $1B range. It will be split almost evenly between the state and the Bills. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My thoughts on this are pretty simple. Wherever it goes next is going to be a “business decision” not a fan experience decision. What is best for the government and best for the Pegulas are not necessarily the same. It will almost certainly be a public/private deal. The expression “split the difference” is a little ironic IMO. That’s how I see this thing playing out. 

 

The Pegulas want to maximize revenue and the government wants to minimize cost. My guess is 65,000 seats, downtown (somewhere), with a price tag in the $1B range. It will be split almost evenly between the state and the Bills. 

How does it work with naming rights? Would New Era have to bid on it and how much does the corporate sponsor typically contribute to the overall cost? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As long as my Bills are still in WNY, I’ll consider it a win.

 

I know that will be hated by some. I love games in OP. I also loved games before OP. If it comes to it, I’ll love games after OP. 

 

 

 

.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

Please don't move the stadium downtown!! 

 

I have been to plenty of stadiums across the league and downtown stadiums have the worst tailgating.  St.Louis was the worst that I have been to.  The only thing going on outside of the stadium were street vendors peddling their souvenirs.

Some are better then others. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Cincy all have downtown stadiums with decent tailgating. It’s just more scattered because the lots are smaller and spread out. Indy has s nice big lot but they don’t tailgate well, it’s mostly done at the bars/restaurants around the stadium. That’s just been my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Augie said:

As long as y Bills are still in WNY, I’ll consider it a win.

 

I know that will be hated by some. I love games in OP. I also loved games before OP. If it comes to it, I’ll love games after OP. 

 

I'm just sayin', I would LOVE a downtown stadium with places to go before and after games.  I'm just at a different place in my life and mega-tailgating in a parking lot isn't as important any more.

  • Like (+1) 12
  • Skeptical 1
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree... I think it's becoming clearer that they want a downtown stadium in conjunction with some improvements to KeyBank Center.  The thing they are going to have difficulty with IMO are the PSLs.  They are going to lose a lot of existing season ticket holders if the PSL is excessive, and other teams that have done this have been unable to sell tickets as seasons.  They then get dumped on the secondary market by scalpers, often at heavy losses, particularly late in the season.  Eventually scalpers stop buying and then the team gets stuck with excessive inventory.

 

I could see them keeping the OP facility as the team's HQ and practice facility.  Most teams with urban stadiums have this kind of setup in the suburbs.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We might as well accept it now.  Tailgating is dead/dying across the NFL.  And that's by design. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

Please don't move the stadium downtown!! 

 

I have been to plenty of stadiums across the league and downtown stadiums have the worst tailgating.  St.Louis was the worst that I have been to.  The only thing going on outside of the stadium were street vendors peddling their souvenirs.

Tailgating will be fine....not a lot of stuff downtown. They'll be able to create some decent sized lots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

We might as well accept it now.  Tailgating is dead/dying across the NFL.  And that's by design. 

 

It's become less of a working man's sport and more of a yuppie executive's.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nucci said:

Tailgating will be fine....not a lot of stuff downtown. They'll be able to create some decent sized lots

 

That's good to hear.  As long as the great tailgating tradition continues, I'm on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

 

That's good to hear.  As long as the great tailgating tradition continues, I'm on board.

I have a feeling that the organization will do its best to ensure there are enough places to tailgate. I do think they want to curb the dangerous stuff though.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not so worried about the tailgating downtown as much as the traffic.

 

 

A Sabres game with 15-19K people locks up traffic to a miserable degree.  People leave Sabres games (no matter the score) between the 2nd intermission and 2/3 through the third period to avoid getting stuck.  Its awful.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets be honest here. Some of the tailgating does get just a little bit out of hand at times...🍻I'm sure that not only the stadium will be scaled back but the tailgating will be also. They will be sure to funnel you into a few Pegula owned bars though.. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have a feeling that the organization will do its best to ensure there are enough places to tailgate. I do think they want to curb the dangerous stuff though.

 

Yup, I think they’ll be trying to find that perfect balance between the two. I’m fine with paying a bit more for my seasons & for the experience in general as long as it’s close to or maybe even better than the current experience. I’m not advocating the full on carnage / WWE type stuff but I want to know I’m at a football game. If we’re going to have a downtown stadium I don’t want to feel like I’m at a hockey game at sterile Keybank center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, eball said:

 

I'm just sayin', I would LOVE a downtown stadium with places to go before and after games.  I'm just at a different place in my life and mega-tailgating in a parking lot isn't as important any more.

 

If they put it where Conway park is - you can build a garage on the one side, and utilize casino garage for overflow (maybe split the parking rate 50/50 - ).  Rip out the perry projects and move a few businesses and you probably have sufficient parking.  Could even do foot bridges from the riverworks side if you needed more space.  Logistically that would need to be improved though to get cars in and out.  

 

The toughest part will be how to get 70,000 people in and out of downtown with 1 highway there going north/south and a ton of side streets.  Right now the stadium sits between 219 and 90 - so you have a way north/south whether you turn right or turn left.  There would probably be an uptick in shuttles and Uber/Lyft - but it would definitely be helpful for some of the businesses down there.  Riverworks and the Casino would get some major cash on game days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, eball said:

 

I'm just sayin', I would LOVE a downtown stadium with places to go before and after games.  I'm just at a different place in my life and mega-tailgating in a parking lot isn't as important any more.

i'd be ok with this too.  it's just too hard for me to do the all day tailgate, so i'd much rather swing by a few places before the game instead.  that being said, i'm fine if they keep with the mega tailgating as well.  at this point, i get there an hour and a half before game time, so i'm good either way.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Im not so worried about the tailgating downtown as much as the traffic.

 

 

A Sabres game with 15-19K people locks up traffic to a miserable degree.  People leave Sabres games (no matter the score) between the 2nd intermission and 2/3 through the third period to avoid getting stuck.  Its awful.

Have you ever tried parking by the baseball field? There's next to no traffic after games. Its a little bit longer of a walk, but you get home a lot faster. That won't help you leaving a 70,000 seat football game, but for the arena it would.

Edited by wagon127

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

 

Asked if he wanted a domed stadium, Terry Pegula initially said, "No," then said, "We'll see what the study says. It's all about what we think our fans want, what they would prefer."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reed83HOF said:

 

Asked if he wanted a domed stadium, Terry Pegula initially said, "No," then said, "We'll see what the study says. It's all about what we think our fans want, what they would prefer."

 

 

He doesn’t want one.  But I think it’s going to come down to that study. Looking at similar cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland - no dome. Indy and Detroit do have one. I would go with retractable. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...