Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kirby Jackson

New Stadium Talk as of owner’s meetings

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

 

The NFL probably wants a lot less drunk fans jumping through burning tables and throwing *****'s on the field.  When I went to Bills games it was to watch football, not worry about getting drunk and acting like a frat boy.  I think a downtown stadium + PSL's will lead things towards a more positive direction it terms of the quality of the NFL gameday experience.   

 

old.jpg

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Downtown can barely handle 19,000 + leaving from a Sabres game.  How the heck are they going to handle 60,000 + from a Bills game? 

 

How do people get out of Orchard Park with only a few roads to drive on? 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you go on Zillow and look for available properties available for sale in the first ward area...there are basically none.  And some of those housing projects in that area look just like Baltimore in The Wire.  Completely abandoned (vacated) with no effort to fill them, but none of them for sale either?  I think that's a pretty telling story.

Edited by Mark80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

How do people get out of Orchard Park with only a few roads to drive on? 

I live 2 hrs away and parking in someone’s lawn on 20A allows me to be home to watch the last quarter plus of the 4 o’clock games.

 

Downtown stadium would F that. 

 

I’d probably have to take time off work and spend the night instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

How do people get out of Orchard Park with only a few roads to drive on? 

 

Well, first of all they don't have intersections every 0.1 mile with horrific Buffalo traffic cops seemingly directing traffic with their eyes closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

When I was younger, the weather never bothered me - now it does a bit...

So now you yell at clouds?

*

Thanks to a now deleted thread, I half expect the current ownership to sell the team, and invest the profits on educating the youth of America on the evils of social media.  🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

If you go on Zillow and look for available properties available for sale in the first ward area...there are basically none.  And some of those housing projects in that area look just like Baltimore in The Wire.  Completely abandoned (vacated) with no effort to fill them, but none of them for sale either?  I think that's a pretty telling story.

The only good thing, and I say good as in it's not as bad as now, is the relative accessibility from the first ward area to the 190.  There are 3 different routes within a mile or two where the stadium would likely be.  Compared to the current traffic that comes out of OP and needing to drive close to 3 miles before you even get to the 219, not to mention the distance to the 90.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Downtown can barely handle 19,000 + leaving from a Sabres game.  How the heck are they going to handle 60,000 + from a Bills game? 

 

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

How do people get out of Orchard Park with only a few roads to drive on? 

 

For a stadium in the First Ward area the interchanges for the 190 need to be redone from Seneca to Louisiana.

Getting back on the 190 is a logistic nightmare exiting a Sabres game.  I just did it in a snow storm after the Oilers game earlier in the month.

Some innovated parking lots that are smaller but only exit one way onto the 190 could be used.

 

Better access to that part of the city would help Hockey, Football and Canal Side events.

Of course moving the NFTA public transit right into the stadium would help a lot too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume a lot of the planning includes new roads and access in and out as part of the deal. It may be impossible depending on the site but it also could be the site is chosen as part of that equation. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So now you yell at clouds?

*

Thanks to a now deleted thread, I half expect the current ownership to sell the team, and invest the profits on educating the youth of America on the evils of social media.  🤨

 

Get off my lawn...

 

She cleaned her twitter up and it's gone now. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I assume a lot of the planning includes new roads and access in and out as part of the deal. It may be impossible depending on the site but it also could be the site is chosen as part of that equation. 

 

Downtown now isn't worse than getting out of Foxboro.  There are three major highway routes out (and another a few miles away) which will need greater access ramps.   Can't be too difficult.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

How do people get out of Orchard Park with only a few roads to drive on? 

 

Very slowly :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

Please don't move the stadium downtown!! 

 

I have been to plenty of stadiums across the league and downtown stadiums have the worst tailgating.  St.Louis was the worst that I have been to.  The only thing going on outside of the stadium were street vendors peddling their souvenirs.

 

Contrary to popular belief but there are plenty of lots to tailgate in downtown and there is a large portion of the fanbase with kids, older people, etc.. who would like more options before the game then just tailgating ranging from fan experiences, restaurants, you name it

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

Please don't move the stadium downtown!! 

 

I have been to plenty of stadiums across the league and downtown stadiums have the worst tailgating.  St.Louis was the worst that I have been to.  The only thing going on outside of the stadium were street vendors peddling their souvenirs.

They dont want tailgaying anymore. They want you to spend your money at the stadium and downtown. That is the plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

 

The NFL probably wants a lot less drunk fans jumping through burning tables and throwing *****'s on the field.  When I went to Bills games it was to watch football, not worry about getting drunk and acting like a frat boy.  I think a downtown stadium + PSL's will lead things towards a more positive direction it terms of the quality of the NFL gameday experience.   

 

 

When is the last time you tailgated?  Yes, there are sometimes drunken idiots doing drunken idiot things.  However, my experience is that there are far more sober people having fun and enjoying the experience.  I personally hate any idea that kills the tailgating scene.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

How do people get out of Orchard Park with only a few roads to drive on? 

I think there are more than 3 roads in Orchard Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

She cleaned her twitter up and it's gone now. 

It should give the OP of that now deleted thread a ‘warm glow’, to know their post had helped set the young lady back on the ‘straight and narrow’.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

 

All comes down to if they want it to be year round for other events during the "gray season", if it is to be truly football only - no dome for me...

 

When I was younger, the weather never bothered me - now it does a bit, but not enough to say I would be in favor of a dome - it makes the game too sterile IMO, elements are part of the game. I know some can and will point to low attendance in late November and December games in the last 20 some odd years, but that is a simply a function of having a $hitty team that is out of or has no chance of the playoffs, build a winner and the fans will come. 

Well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

 

For a stadium in the First Ward area the interchanges for the 190 need to be redone from Seneca to Louisiana.

Getting back on the 190 is a logistic nightmare exiting a Sabres game.  I just did it in a snow storm after the Oilers game earlier in the month.

Some innovated parking lots that are smaller but only exit one way onto the 190 could be used.

 

Better access to that part of the city would help Hockey, Football and Canal Side events.

Of course moving the NFTA public transit right into the stadium would help a lot too.

 

I think everything you just mentioned will be in the plan. The 190 has needed to be reworked in that area for awhile anyway in terms of ingress and egress and this is as good an excuse as any. The light rail will be extended to at least the building being the arena if not further. The Perry projects will be demolished to make way for something, etc. Etc.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

The only good thing, and I say good as in it's not as bad as now, is the relative accessibility from the first ward area to the 190.  There are 3 different routes within a mile or two where the stadium would likely be.  Compared to the current traffic that comes out of OP and needing to drive close to 3 miles before you even get to the 219, not to mention the distance to the 90.

219 is a mile and a half from NEF

26 minutes ago, corta765 said:

 

Contrary to popular belief but there are plenty of lots to tailgate in downtown and there is a large portion of the fanbase with kids, older people, etc.. who would like more options before the game then just tailgating ranging from fan experiences, restaurants, you name it

No grilling in parking ramps. Also I've seen signs no alcohol consumption allowed in ramps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

No grilling in parking ramps. Also I've seen signs no alcohol consumption allowed in ramps.

 

That is not going to stop many people and there are tons of surface lots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

If you go on Zillow and look for available properties available for sale in the first ward area...there are basically none.  And some of those housing projects in that area look just like Baltimore in The Wire.  Completely abandoned (vacated) with no effort to fill them, but none of them for sale either?  I think that's a pretty telling story.

End of Michagan St is one location I heard. I also heard Cuomo was going to announce a billion dollar aid package for buffalo after he got elected. Waiting .... 201 Ellicott project will be using up 400 plus parking spots.   

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

 

That is not going to stop many people and there are tons of surface lots

What about security.  Now every Lot can be seen. No bridges or tall buildings to block the view or robberys, breaking. When will the first time a panhandler, crackhead, confront you for bucks in Orchard Park??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wsam4031 said:

I couldn't agree with you more. Some of my favorite memories as a kid was tailgating at ECC with 20 family members cooking on the grill playing football. Now that I'm 40 I like to do the same with some beers involved! I don't want to be in a bar before the game I wanna be outside grilling and drinking some beers!

Same here. I’m not trying to be resistant to change, but change isn’t always for the better. I enjoy having options. I don’t want to be forced into no longer having the option to tailgate. It would be nothing more than a money grab to bring money into downtown on Sunday’s. From the perspective of the county and city, I can completely understand that. I just know that I can bring the same beer I’d buy at the bar to a tailgate for much cheaper. I can also enjoy my own grilled food just as well as any restaurant. I’m not claiming that others might not have a different perspective, this is just how I feel. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Same here. I’m not trying to be resistant to change, but change isn’t always for the better. I enjoy having options. I don’t want to be forced into no longer having the option to tailgate. It would be nothing more than a money grab to bring money into downtown on Sunday’s. From the perspective of the county and city, I can completely understand that. I just know that I can bring the same beer I’d buy at the bar to a tailgate for much cheaper. I can also enjoy my own grilled food just as well as any restaurant. I’m not claiming that others might not have a different perspective, this is just how I feel. 

The good news is you can still do it after the downtown stadium is built...you just do it in your driveway. 😉

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The good news is you can still do it after the downtown stadium is built...you just do it in your driveway. 😉

Not the same as game day at the stadium,  but like I said to each their own. Football tailgating is part of a unique greatly all American experience and tradition. Instead we might get to flood the local bars before the games just like European soccer fans. I also understand the reality, money is more important than tradition. I understand that some people will welcome the idea of a new stadium in proximity to all the great local establishments that Buffalo has. I just know where I stand. First and foremost, I’m a football fan. I’ll be at the new stadium regardless, but I know part of the experience would be forever lacking without tailgating.

Edited by SirAndrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...