Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kirby Jackson

New Stadium Talk as of owner’s meetings

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

 

All comes down to if they want it to be year round for other events during the "gray season", if it is to be truly football only - no dome for me...

 

When I was younger, the weather never bothered me - now it does a bit, but not enough to say I would be in favor of a dome - it makes the game too sterile IMO, elements are part of the game. I know some can and will point to low attendance in late November and December games in the last 20 some odd years, but that is a simply a function of having a $hitty team that is out of or has no chance of the playoffs, build a winner and the fans will come. 

 

There were low turnouts at end of season for Kelly years when it was snowing. Some playoff games did not sell out.

 

Best thing is a window at top allowing weather in but sides protect most of those in fan seats. You can design it so snow falls out and down side of stadium to pile up.

 

One of the leaders in our Bills Backers group was an architect and he has done designs for stadiums.

He showed me proposed designs and they were beautiful.

Unfortunately he died in October from brain cancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We are looking at $1B all in, not $1.5B. They will basically split it down the middle IMO. The Pegulas (and the Bills) are on the hook or $500M. The naming rights, concession deal and PSLs probably account for $350M of that. 

I'm not against a new stadium, and I do believe that the current facility is just fine.

I don't want to see a glorified shopping mall experience, which is what this could easily turn into.......

I do think that your conjecture on the figures for naming rights, and PSL's is doubtful for the 2nd smallest NFL market.

The rest is simply presumptuous.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Minnesota's design with the glass ceiling as it provides something of an outdoor "illusion." A downtown dome stadium is coming so it's best to just be prepared for that eventuality. I love OP and the environment, but I fully expect Pegula to put his stamp on this franchise with a downtown venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

How does it work with naming rights? Would New Era have to bid on it and how much does the corporate sponsor typically contribute to the overall cost? 

 

Not sure how New Era’s contract is, but it’ll be at least 4-5 years b4 the Bills leave OP.

 

There’s land aquisition (which the Pegulas are already doing), public hearings (which, in Buffalo, are a joke), environmental impact studies, and - finally- demolition and construction.  Plus road infrastucture improvements.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, corta765 said:

 

Your grasping at straws here man, easier just to say you'd rather stay in OP. I've been downtown a ton of the last decade never once had an issue nor has any of my friends or family. If there are 70,000 people downtown it is kind of hard to be not noticeable same reason in orchard park things get filmed and seen all the time now

Not grasping at straws. Worked Downtown on a project for a year had it happen almost every day. Wife workers Downtown also happens to her. Fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The LA Coliseum is in South Central, one of the worst areas. No real problems there. 

I've never had any issues down there, day or night.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not against a new stadium, and I do believe that the current facility is just fine.

I don't want to see a glorified shopping mall experience, which is what this could easily turn into.......

I do think that your conjecture on the figures for naming rights, and PSL's is doubtful for the 2nd smallest NFL market.

The rest is simply presumptuous.....

 

Is it doubtful to think that an NFL team (even in Buffalo) could get $7.5M a year in naming rights? That’s not aggressive (at all). 

 

$100M through PSLs isn’t that crazy either. 10,000 seats at $5k, 20,000 seats at $2,500 and you are there. Obviously those are averages but that is not a stretch at all. That’s especially true if they are paid off over 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

Not grasping at straws. Worked Downtown on a project for a year had it happen almost every day. Wife workers Downtown also happens to her. Fact. 

 

I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem.    I lived downtown for five years and have worked in the CBD for 30-plus.  Walked to and from work, to and from parking ramps, many times late at night.   In all that time, I can only remember one mugging incident of someone I knew and just a handful of panhandlers.   

 

Crime is not an issue that has to be factored into a stadium location decision, IMO...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not against a new stadium, and I do believe that the current facility is just fine.

I don't want to see a glorified shopping mall experience, which is what this could easily turn into.......

I do think that your conjecture on the figures for naming rights, and PSL's is doubtful for the 2nd smallest NFL market.

The rest is simply presumptuous.....

 

So this is why you have been arguing non-stop for the last 2-3 hours? Wow. Nobody wants a glorified shopping mall. Terry pegula sort of alluded to that yesterday. I'd be happy with a 70,000 seat version of the Sabres arena honestly. But you dont wait until the current stadium is a safety concern or completely unsavageable to replace it. 2023 is a good year to move to a new stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

So this is why you have been arguing non-stop for the last 2-3 hours? Wow. Nobody wants a glorified shopping mall. Terry pegula sort of alluded to that yesterday. I'd be happy with a 70,000 seat version of the Sabres arena honestly. But you dont wait until the current stadium is a safety concern or completely unsavageable to replace it. 2023 is a good year to move to a new stadium. 

I haven't been arguing. I simply have opinions. Some people don't like them.

***B.F.D.***

There is nothing wrong with the current stadium, per routine structural inspections.......

The Packers stadium is still standing. How old is it? 'Sup wid dat????

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is it doubtful to think that an NFL team (even in Buffalo) could get $7.5M a year in naming rights? That’s not aggressive (at all). 

 

$100M through PSLs isn’t that crazy either. 10,000 seats at $5k, 20,000 seats at $2,500 and you are there. Obviously those are averages but that is not a stretch at all. That’s especially true if they are paid off over 5 years.

$7.5 M/yr. is a chaw in the spittoon for a $1B facility.......

Edited by BUFFALOBART

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I haven't been arguing. I simply have opinions. Some people don't like them.

***B.F.D.***

There is nothing wrong with the current stadium, per routine structural inspections.......

 

When do you think the bills should replace the current stadium? As you've said, if the stadium had safety concerns, it would be shut down already. It take 3 years to build a new one. So you have to start building it before the stadium would get shut down. So when will the current stadium be too old to hold NFL games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

 

 

The public outcry killed the Amherst/Downtown train. We had a number of Trolley cars from Cleveland lined up for $20 million. It was going to fly, except FEAR of downtown got in the way

I don’t remember when that all happened but things are different now. Society is different now. 

 

Youll see. It’ll be done to some extent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

When do you think the bills should replace the current stadium? As you've said, if the stadium had safety concerns, it would be shut down already. It take 3 years to build a new one. So you have to start building it before the stadium would get shut down. So when will the current stadium be too old to hold NFL games?

I'm not against a new stadium. *Lambeau Field* opened in 1957. There is no hurry for this.

I didn't say anything about safety concerns-except for those boulders laid all over Abbott Rd., maybe...

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don’t remember when that all happened but things are different now. Society is different now. 

 

Youll see. It’ll be done to some extent 

It should've happened back then. The $20M price tag? Fogetaboutit.........

Edited by BUFFALOBART

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not against a new stadium. *Lambeau Field* opened in 1957. There is no hurry for this.

 

What part of what you have said has given any evidence that you support the new stadium? You only support the new stadium, if its been 15 years since lambeau was replaced? Is that what your argument is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not against a new stadium, and I do believe that the current facility is just fine.

I don't want to see a glorified shopping mall experience, which is what this could easily turn into.......

I do think that your conjecture on the figures for naming rights, and PSL's is doubtful for the 2nd smallest NFL market.

The rest is simply presumptuous.....

 

 

The current facility is ‘just fine’ for now, but it’s 50 years old and, despite it’s ambience and great sight lines, how many more times must we dump another $250M on it to keep it ‘just fine’?

 

When you’re in your seats, it seems fine.  When you enter the concourses, you begin to realize how decrepid the old girl is.

 

If you saw Terry and Kim being interviewed today, Terry’s so impressed with what they’ve built in Dallas and what they’re building in LA, but he’s all about a much scaled/down stadium for Buffalo.  Didn’t sound like he wanted a dome, certainly no shopping mall, but a more modest downtown stadium.

.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

What part of what you have said has given any evidence that you support the new stadium? You only support the new stadium, if its been 15 years since lambeau was replaced? Is that what your argument is?

Read my comments RE: Bethlehem Steel, etc........

Sheesh............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I haven't been arguing. I simply have opinions. Some people don't like them.

***B.F.D.***

There is nothing wrong with the current stadium, per routine structural inspections.......

The Packers stadium is still standing. How old is it? 'Sup wid dat????

$7.5 M/yr. is a chaw in the spittoon for a $1B facility.......

Yet that is the $150M number that you are saying is a stretch. $7.5M x 20 years is $150M naming rights deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yet that is the $150M number that you are saying is a stretch. $7.5M x 20 years is $150M naming rights deal

Chump change. There is interest on $1B, remember.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Read my comments RE: Bethlehem Steel, etc........

Sheesh............

I would, but you have posted way too much over the last 3 hours, and i have better things to do. Just cause lambeau is still standing and doing fine, doesnt mean buffalo has to keep their 45 year old stadium until BUFFALOBART says its ok to build a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wagon127 said:

I would, but you have posted way too much over the last 3 hours, and i have better things to do. Just cause lambeau is still standing and doing fine, doesnt mean buffalo has to keep their 45 year old stadium until BUFFALOBART says its ok to build a new one.

Please. Go do your 'better things', so we don't have to read your whining........

https://www.ibmadison.com/In-Business-Madison/August-2013/A-brief-history-of-Lambeau-Field-renovations/

 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

 

Oh boy.....here we go......

 

The funniest part is don’t drink and derive.   😋. Really! 

 

 

Aug can dish it out, but he can't take it.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

65,000 seat dome...just do it and reap the benefits of sellouts and indoor crowd noise for opposing offenses.

Being in a dome last year in Indy totally sucked. I want absolutely no part of that. 

 

I wasn’t sure how i’d feel about my first dome experience. My wife and I went into it sort of excited and both agreed the gameday experience totally faded as we walked further into the climate control. Neither of us walked away impressed.

 

and let’s be real here.... winning will guarantee more sellouts than a dome ever would.

 

I attend 3-5 home games a year and I know that number would most definitely drop for me going forward in a downtown dome. I know myself personally, and the group I usually head up with want no part of a dome at any point of the year. Absolutely love a sharp cold day at the Ralph. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Being in a dome last year in Indy totally sucked. I want absolutely no part of that. 

 

I wasn’t sure how i’d feel about my first dome experience. My wife and I went into it sort of excited and both agreed the gameday experience totally faded as we walked further into the climate control. Neither of us walked away impressed.

 

and let’s be real here.... winning will guarantee more sellouts than a dome ever would.

 

I attend 3-5 home games a year and I know that number would most definitely drop for me going forward in a downtown dome. 

I think the bills home crowd would be a little different inside then almost anywhere else. Also that indy dome notoriously destroyed the crowd noise and energy with the design of that new stadium. If you look at the saints home games and you will get a look at what a Bills dome would be like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mark80 said:

If you go on Zillow and look for available properties available for sale in the first ward area...there are basically none.  And some of those housing projects in that area look just like Baltimore in The Wire.  Completely abandoned (vacated) with no effort to fill them, but none of them for sale either?  I think that's a pretty telling story.

 

This has been my idea for a long time and you rehab a rotten piece of the city. Win Win.

I'm happy other people share my vision.

 

 

7 hours ago, KennyDavisEyes said:

I live 2 hrs away and parking in someone’s lawn on 20A allows me to be home to watch the last quarter plus of the 4 o’clock games.

 

Downtown stadium would F that. 

 

I’d probably have to take time off work and spend the night instead.

 

So instead of coming to town for a football game, putting $20 in Hammers pocket and leaving town you would come for a game, have extra meals stay in a hotel and help the economy then. Hmm, that is something to ponder.

 

 

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I think everything you just mentioned will be in the plan. The 190 has needed to be reworked in that area for awhile anyway in terms of ingress and egress and this is as good an excuse as any. The light rail will be extended to at least the building being the arena if not further. The Perry projects will be demolished to make way for something, etc. Etc.

 

More people sharing my vision and making a useless part area serve a bigger cause. Oh and jobs and infrastructure and probably put a new arena as part of the complex and hell who knows maybe even have space to incorporate a convention center into it also. Or may after the new arena is open as part of the stadium/arena complex they blow up KBC and that's where a new convention center goes!!  Hmmm. Damn this sure is fun spending everybody's money 🙂 But think of the radical change and benefit to the city. Wow that is game changing. Hope I'm right.

 

 

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

You were 'done' a long time ago..........

 

I was done with your trolling posts and attitude a long way back in this thread.

 

 

34 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I haven't been arguing. I simply have opinions. Some people don't like them.

***B.F.D.***

There is nothing wrong with the current stadium, per routine structural inspections.......

The Packers stadium is still standing. How old is it? 'Sup wid dat????

$7.5 M/yr. is a chaw in the spittoon for a $1B facility.......

 

You haven't been arguing indeed. You've been master level trolling for some reason and it's not because of your opinions because frankly your opinions are no ***B.F.D.*** bro.

I'm not saying you aren't presenting some facts along the way but you do seem rather narrow minded.

 

You must be one of those people who said Pegula was crazy to pay what he did for the team as he would never recover the money. Meanwhile a few people like Kirby were pointing things out like it should pay him back in about 10-12 years given the tv revenue an owner banks before dropping a dime each new season. Looks like ole Kirb was right as Pegulas are well on their way to breaking even on the purchase in reality and they will be free to assume a stadium debt load of reasonable magnitude don't you think?

 

Lastly, you also seem to be completely overlooking everything else they are putting into the city. Harborcenter to start with. Dunno maybe they should  have left that as a surface lot huh? But then there might be less to talk about.

 

They are thinking big and will certainly leave a legacy here. Thanks to them!

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...