New Stadium Talk as of owner’s meetings

I’ve attended games in virtually every new stadium. There’s ZERO reason to spend the extra money on a retractable roof. It’ll just end up being closed almost all the time anyway and if you put enough glass in the building like in Dallas and Minneapolis it’s like you’re sitting outside anyway. Don’t waste the money!

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Indianapolis has a retractable roof.  It's not fixed.  

As of last September, it has been opened for only 25 games over 10 years.

Retractable roof=huge waste of money.  Pegula knows this.  Same reason he's not going to build a domed stadium.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

As of last September, it has been opened for only 25 games over 10 years.

Retractable roof=huge waste of money.  Pegula knows this.  Same reason he's not going to build a domed stadium.

I have no desire to watch a game indoors. And as you stated, teams rarely have a retractable roof open.  I think the Colts mostly have the roof open for preseason games at that.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, I'd prefer a downtown stadium, and a dome.  I stopped going to games years ago though.  If they build something downtown, and with a dome, I'll likely go to a game or two per year again, even if the tickets double in price.  I just worry about the traffic downtown though...I don't see a way they an easily get 50,000+ people in and out of downtown after a game without it being total chaos.

That being said, there really is nothing they can do or build to even get me to buy season tickets again (just too convenient to watch the game at home with family and friends), so if they keep it in the southtowns, not too big of a deal for me.

4 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I am not certain how a retractable roof would hold up to snow. I just mentioned the retractable roof due to it probably being more expensive than a dome or a partial fixed roof. 

Personally, if it is going to be a dome, I'd prefer Minnesota model - you can the sun, moderated when needed, without the hassles and cost of retractable.

Info on how Minnesota did it - it is not retractable due to cost - state and city refused to pay for extra cost of retractable but it is possible but very expensive.

Because of Minnesota’s harsh winters, a retractable roof was considered for the team’s new home as an appealing alternative to the cavelike Metrodome, where the controlled indoor climate and diffused light made it feel claustrophobic even on sunny days.

http://www.startribune.com/high-tech-roof-in-place-for-winter-at-new-vikings-stadium/360644121/

More than just bringing the light in, ETFE also ensures the snow will stay out. The lightweight but strong material allowed designers to run a superspan that includes a single 989-foot-long single ridge truss the entire length of the field. It's set asymmetrically to allow for the sunnier south side of the building to use more ETFE than the north side. The roof that sits over the 1.75 million square foot stadium is one of the lightest stadium roofs in the world, despite its snow load requirements. The roof is so minimal that the Vikings can still do a flyover before the game. In an indoor venue.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

The one an architect friend designed and proposed a number of years ago was like roof of vikings stadium:

The steep pitch of the roof (1:12) fits the Northern European design motif and serves a practical purpose of helping snow slide into a snow gutter that rings the top of the building. This gutter has a melting system within to take the cascading snow and turn it into full liquid before the weight becomes a Metrodome-type issue.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I can only imagine that Ross is looking at it like the fans, i.e. playing in the elements.

One of the absolute best snow games was against Miami some 16, 17 or 18 years ago. 

On 3/27/2019 at 1:14 PM, Jrb1979 said:

It seems that a lot of the posters here are older fans and don't like change.   

Hold on there sparky, I am "older". When I was a kid they played at the rock pile. I have no special attachment to the Orchard Park stadium.

Downtown and covered (Roof, dome I dont care).

For everyone that says they would go to less indoor games because that isn't real football  I can point to 5 other people who dont go now because of the weather.

I used to love being at the games in the 20 degree temperatures...... After passing the big five zero not so much.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, nucci said:

I would say it was about 29 years ago

Pretty sure he was referring to the Bledsoe era Bills vs Miami game featuring Moulds, Price, Ricky Williams et al. Was a heavier snowfall than the Jan 91 playoff game as well. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Pretty sure he was referring to the Bledsoe era Bills vs Miami game featuring Moulds, Price, Ricky Williams et al. Was a heavier snowfall than the Jan 91 playoff game as well. 

I know but this was the better game

Don't care for the tailgating going away or moving downtown, I just hope we don't build a tiny 60k seat stadium. hope they aim for at least close 70k. 

they need to design the stadium in the same way the new soccer stadiums in europe are designed. Arched roofs that cover the seats and amplify noise back onto the ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

21 hours ago, nucci said:

I know but this was the better game

You're both correct. Now collect your participation trophy! The Bledsoe game was a surreal scene. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:05 PM, beerme1 said:

One of the absolute best snow games was against Miami some 16, 17 or 18 years ago. 

....good call...remember it well....Ricky on the loose........

Palm Beach Post sports columnist Dave George

Light snow and sleet and eventually a full-on barrage of near whiteout conditions didn’t stop Ricky Williams from rushing for a career-best 228 yards at Buffalo on Dec. 1, 2002. That remains a Miami franchise record, and it came on a day when the temperature was 25 degrees at kickoff with a wind chill of 13.

Drew Bledsoe, the Bills’ quarterback at the time, clearly agreed. While Lucas was laboring on a 6-for-11 passing day with two fumbles, Bledsoe threw for 306 yards and three touchdowns. Included in there was a 73-yard touchdown pass from Bledsoe to Peerless Price, the play that put Buffalo ahead to stay in a 38-21 victory.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to think that (if this is true)  it is retractable. I know Lucas Oil’s is. Is Jerry World retractable? 

Dallas is, but hardly ever opened..

who is road sodas? I cant see in the retweet list

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Dallas is, but hardly ever opened..

who is road sodas? I cant see in the retweet list

Kevin Massare. He has (or had) a Bills podcast and had some inside sources with the old regime. Road Sodas thing is a really old joke about something he posted and the nickname stuck