Calling it now: McD and Beane will be in the running for HC and GM of the year in 2019.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On a serious note I do think there is a route to 11 wins for the Bills. Improved roster, easier looking schedule and hopefully growth and more consistency from Josh Allen. At the moment I would put them in that 9 to 11 win bracket. 

If they win 11 and make the playoffs both will get consideration. But there is going to be some tough competition because I expect Cleveland and possibly Tampa to have similarly progressive seasons. 

I hope we destroy Oak.  Hopefully 2020.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The AFC looks a lot better on paper than it did in 2017.

None of the teams in the AFC south would be considered a reach to win 10 games, for instance.

And the conference as a whole should be more competitive than it has been in a while...........that could work to the Bills advantage though because they have 2 games against the Dolphins and one against Cinci and NYG..........having 4 games against teams that project to be vulnerable could make a big difference in a wildcard race where some teams project to be going against a bit tougher competition every week.     

A lot can change in season though but the schedule is currently a reason for optimism.

I love the schedule. 

A) The furthest the Bills have to travel is Dallas. We generally don't fare well on the west coast.

B) On aggregate, our variable home opponents have a more hostile enviroment than the road opponents. Home: Baltimore/Philly/Washington/Denver/Cincy. Cincy is really the only home opponent that doesn't have a distinct advantage in their stadium. Road: Dallas/Tennessee/NYG/Cleveland/PIT. The only truly hostile environment would be PIT and things are trending down for them. I suppose you could throw Cleveland in there, but the proximity kind of negates that. 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They still need receiving and oline help.

Sure, us and 30 other teams. But we have NFL level talent around Allen now. Nothing elite. But it is good enough to win. I really couldnt say the same last year.

8 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

If they were in a more favorably viewed market then they'd have a chance. As long as they have a Bills logo on their shirt it's not that probable. Just ask Tre' White about his rookie season.

The media loves the Bills when they win. They get plenty of mention early in the season if they start out ok.

Tre was and is not the best corner of his draft. Who cares. He is still excellent.

Has any team changed four of five O-lineman in NFL history?

I don't understand all of the optimism surrounding the free agents. Beane’s 2018 class underwhelmed. The volume of signings looks good and Morse looks good. The rest are above average at best. Collectively I think the talent is better especially at WR. I just dont get the sense they are significantly better than last year.

I hope they address pass rush in the draft or with Ziggy, honestly both. Still a major problem.  Shaq is a good player but I just dont see him developing a pass rush at this point in his career.

It’s all on Allen. If he shows improvement and they get a few breaks 10 or 11 wins is possible. I think 11wins means the must sweep Miami, NYJ, and steal one from New England. That is 5 wins and I can see 6 more wins. However, I don’t see 8 more wins going 3-3 in the division.

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure, us and 30 other teams. But we have NFL level talent around Allen now. Nothing elite. But it is good enough to win. I really couldnt say the same last year.

That is a good way of putting it. Nothing elite but good enough that Allen has a chance

I see a lot of similarities between this year's Bills and the Bears of 2018. The Bears in 2017 had a top 10 defense but a horrendous offense with a rookie QB who looked lost. The Bills in 2018 boasted a top 10 defense but a offense that at one point was looking historically bad (although Allen got it going more than Mitch did in 2017.) The Bears added a lot of offensive talent around a young QB and then invested their first round pick and a lot of future draft capital into their defense and they improved their offense just enough to make their QB have a chance and had an excellent defense. 

The Bills have made similar acquisitions along the offensive side of the ball and although I don't see them making a Mack type trade I do see pick 9 being invested into the defense and then the rest of their major draft picks back onto the offensive side of the ball. So if the Bills can get to double digit wins like the Bears then I honestly see a lot of awards talk coming the way of management and coaching.

Edited by billsfan89

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would have the Titans as a reach to get to 10 wins but I do agree the AFC overall is a better conference than it was 2 or 3 years ago. I think as well as the 4 games you mentioned the Bills also have Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington and Denver who are all in various states of flux. It is a real opportunity this year I think to make a big jump. Maybe even a scale of jump that gives a slightly false impression of where they are overall in their development. 

Pitt & Balt are still tough gms.  Those teams still have a ton of talent. Even Denver depending on where we play them is not easy.

IMO you're calling it a year or more early.

The OL will take a long time to gel. Allen is still very young and needs more development. I  expect the defense to be very good again. But this is a young team.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Has any team changed four of five O-lineman in NFL history?

I don't understand all of the optimism surrounding the free agents.

I would suggest you re position your question to "Has any team in NFL History that's so clearly needed to replace their offensive line been able to bring in 4 or 5 O-linemen so quickly?"

Our o-line was a train wreck last year. Our WR/TE situation was only marginally better when the season began. We still got 6 wins which could easily have been 8 (Peterman came in against the Texans and the first Miami game if Clay had stayed ready for that pass). Going into the season the pundits saw it as a <4 win season and that we were tanking.

I think you'll find that this team has over performed both years under McD. There is evidence that he is establishing a culture of team, competition and accountability. This year we have money and have brought in talent with that money. Smokey is an ideal receiver for Allen and Beasley is that slot guy we needed. The RBs have to be happy that they've guys that can block for them, plus a top ranked Center directing things. How can you not be optimistic?

There is no reason to think that we won't be a serious contender for a playoff spot this year.

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The media loves the Bills when they win. They get plenty of mention early in the season if they start out ok.

Tre was and is not the best corner of his draft. Who cares. He is still excellent.

Not sure what media you are watching. We barely get any coverage and when we do it's negative. When we beat a team it's that they had an off day. When we smacked the !@#$ out of the Vikings last year I do not think that we got the credit we deserved for coming out and smacking the !@#$ out of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Young teams can't win more than they lose?

Sorry Thurman, but if these guys aren't winning this year then something has to change. 

I think fewer than 8 wins without a very obvious reason (say losing Allen, White, Morse, Dawkins and Hyde all to major injuries) and some very serious questions will be asked. I suspect so long as they win 6 or more they would get one more crack in 2020 from the Pegulas but any fewer than 8 wins and I would have doubts about whether they are the right guys long term.

I doubt 11 wins gets you XX of the year as there will be some surprise team that does much better than expected.  Even a team like Green Bay, they made some additions, say they win 13 games, they'd get more consideration IMO.  Assuming Allan improves a fair amount, win 10 games this season good draft this year and next, plus a handful more FA signings next season think either of them getting the award in 2020 is more reasonable.

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

So you are guaranteeing an AFC championship appearance AT LEAST?

Lol, why do things always have to be a guarantee?  All I did is share my opinion that I believe we will be a double digit win team and those guys will get consideration for those accolades if we do.

Plus, the awards are for regular season, so how far they go once in playoffs is irrelevant to the award or discussion.