Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Nsekhe is head over heals better than Mills. 

Mills and Miller are two of the worst offensive linemen I have ever watched. They blow. Colin Brown level. People who don't see that will see that this year when they watch the new guys play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A one year deal. Which basically means he's auditioning to become the long-term starter for a lucrative long-term contract.   

What I specially like about Beane's approach to FA is that he hasn't committed to long-term money on many of the players he has brought on.  Meaning that he fully understands that some of the guys won't pan out and that they can easily be let go within a year or two.  Meanwhile, he will find some long-term pieces along the way through FA and truly build the core of this team through the draft.

I have said for a long while now that there is a clear method and ORGANIZED process to his decision making.  Whaley was more of a shoot-from-the-hip sort of GM who had a pretty good eye for talent.  But really didn't have a well-thought-out vision for the team and equally important wasn't able to sell his vision to Pegula.  Part of being a good GM is not just the capacity of their talents but the ability to sell your vision to ownership.   That goes for any GM for any company.  Without being able to sell your vision, the resources, leash and confidence to carry through with your plans become diminished.   

I have said over and over that one of the things that I admire about Beane aside from his methodical organized style and vision for this team is his moxy to make unpopular decisions to build the team he believes he needs to have a successful organization.  There is no better way to succeed or fail than to do it your way.  At least that way you know you were able to do it your way and if it failed there is no one to blame but yourself.   With Whaley, admittedly he was hobbled by not having the control necessary to have more decision making power.  

In any case, we'll see how these FA signings pan out.  There is definitely a case for optimism that we are on the right track.  And it could turn out that the picks don't pan out like KB who the board almost universally loved.  At the end of day what is just as important if not more so than carrying out a clear vision in a methodical organized fashion is player evaluation.   

I'm optimistic, I just truly believe that we are in better position than any time post Jim Kelly.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The OL battle is going to be something else. Not everyone is going to make it and not everyone is going to dress.

#ClicheAlert

"Iron sharpens iron."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm loving all of the OL signings. Does anyone wonder about the cohesiveness with potentially 5 guys that never played along side each other before? How long will it take the new OL to gel? OTOH it has to be better than last years line by default ?

19 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

If we draft a WR, who are we cutting? Don't understand the draft a WR talk. We are already looking at likely having to cut McKenzie or Williams.

I don't believe we go WR with our first pick.

But I am almost certain that with this deep draft of WR's that we will go with one somewhere between rounds 2-4.

Just now, R Y G A R said:

I'm loving all of the OL signings. Does anyone wonder about the cohesiveness with potentially 5 guys that never played along side each other before? How long will it take the new OL to gel? OTOH it has to be better than last years line by default ?

Great point. I think we'll see some growing pains for sure, but in the long run I believe we'll see a better unit. Might take a couple games for them to hit their stride.

Regardless, their worst efforts should be scores better than what we saw last season.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Great point. I think we'll see some growing pains for sure, but in the long run I believe we'll see a better unit. Might take a couple games for them to hit their stride.

Regardless, their worst efforts should be scores better than what we saw last season.

I think having a veteran C (Morse) is the key.  He's the spoon (or is it straw?) that stirs the drink.

Edited by eball

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Lol.   A real heavy hitter of a sports journalist on that story...

Crissy Froyd is a current student residing in Spring, TX. She intends to transfer to LSU to major in Mass Communications, and pursue a career in sportscasting.

Crissy Froyd

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nsekhe is head over heals better than Mills. 

Hope you are correct. He has been a marginal swing tackle most of his career and is 33. Mills was mostly below average, decent in run game, and putrid at time in pass protection. Just not convinced Nsekhe is much better. Still want to see OT drafted on day 2

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Morse, Spain, and to some degree Long are upgrades. On paper Beane looks like he has done a good job. I’m not sure Nsekhe is any better than Mills and Im not sure Feliciano is any better than Teller will be. 

It will be interesting to see if they release Bodine now. If they keep him then at least one of these FA signings may not make the roster.

I doubt OT in the first round now but still could see in round 2 or 3 and Nsekhe as a one year starter at RT. Also OT early is insurance if Dawkins doesn’t rebound from a down year. I agree with other posters that having a better LG will help Dawkins a lot especially in the run game.

It's a significant upgrade "on paper," mainly because of Morse. Having a top end center to direct the O-line, with Dawkins being most likely the youngest member, should raise the level of play significantly.  Obviously they will will need time to become a cohesive unit, but definitely better.

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I love how Beane isn't committing to a lot of these guys long term. Love how he wants to see how they fit here before signing them long term

Yes, and we should have space to sign guys next year if they warrant a longer deal. Plus it gives you time to find a cheap, better replacement in the draft. Someone you can develop.