Would you want the Bills to trade a high pick for Julio Jones and make him the highest paid WR?

We do not need to wreck our salary cap and blow draft picks for a 30 year old WR.  If we were on cusp of winning Super Bowl, sure.  Instead you trade down from 9, draft DK, and draft WR with additional selection(deebo, Harmon, Harry, Isabella, etc), add 2 starting WR

and be set next 5 years with rookie contracts on books.  If they perform great- comp picks if we don’t re-sign

• Like (+1) 1

I hear what some are saying about cap flexibility. But, if you can get this guy for something like Brown went for you should do it. This is a guy who has averaged over 100 yds a game for the last 5 yrs. Just think of how many games would have been impacted positively this past season with this guy in tow. For Allen sake do it if possible.

• Like (+1) 1

If we were willing to swap 1st rd picks with Pittsburgh for AB, why not make a similar offer to Cinci for Green. Assuming at #9 only two QB's are off the board. With Green becoming a FA in 2020 anyway, how likely are they to wanna have to negotiate a new contract with Green when he is 31? This could be their chance to draft the successor to Dalton. Maybe swap 1st's with an extra 3rd to Cinci for Green and we renegotiate Green's contract now?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/a.j.-green-7719/market-value/

Edited by DefenseWins
  • Like (+1) 2

In a vacuum - probably not. However given:

- The amount of money that they have that must be used.

- The glaring need for at least one stud WR.

- The large amount of Offensive Lineman worth taking at #9 in the First Round vs. the small amount (maybe 1?) of WR's worth taking at #9.

- The large amount of decent FA Offensive Lineman that could be had with no compensation vs. almost no WR's.

A trade is almost neccessary to upgrade our WR core in a substantial way. In this case, it lines up in a way that if it were to ever happen - now would be the time.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

JJ is too old for the Bills situation.If Allen was a proven commodity and we were on the verge of contending I would say yes for a 2-3 yr deal .

I still think the Bills are a mess...and that money would be thrown down the toilet with our mediocre O line and no solid proof that Allen can be consistently accurate.

But little Danny will likely give him a deal.

I'd prefer a younger receiver like JuJu at this point or even Michel Thomas. If we were a piece or two away from making a legitimate run I'd say sure to Julio, but again I think by the time we're there he'll be in the waning stage of his career.

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'd prefer a younger receiver like JuJu at this point or even Michel Thomas. If we were a piece or two away from making a legitimate run I'd say sure to Julio, but again I think by the time we're there he'll be in the waning stage of his career.

Obviously but those guys wouldn’t be available. I only provided Julio as a reference as to why he could be. It’s been rumored for awhile. 

11 minutes ago, Tcali said:

JJ is too old for the Bills situation.If Allen was a proven commodity and we were on the verge of contending I would say yes for a 2-3 yr deal .

I still think the Bills are a mess...and that money would be thrown down the toilet with our mediocre O line and no solid proof that Allen can be consistently accurate.

But little Danny will likely give him a deal.

To me it doesn’t matter how close they are to contending. We truly do not know how close they are. It’s not like I’m suggesting it’s either this OR upgrade the OL. They would not be “wrecking the cap” either. Its one big contract for an offensive weapon. I guess it’s the chicken-egg thing. I believe Julio would help Josh develop. I definitely don’t believe we would need to wait until he develops to invest in WR. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So we now know the Bills are willing to take a big swing on trading for a big time WR. The next two primo WRs who are ready to get paid (i.e. their teams need to determine if they are going to break the bank) are Julio Jones and Michael Thomas. I don’t think Thomas is an option because if the Saints can’t come to an agreement they can tag him next year. The Saints are also an immediate contender with a small window and won’t want to mess with Brees’ favorite target. 

Julio on the other hand wants a new contract and the Falcons are in a weird spot. Matt Ryan has a gigantic deal and the team hasn’t been good since they went to the SB. They also drafted a WR in the 1st last year. The trade comp would be higher than it would have been for AB because the Steelers had  no leverage and he clearly tanked his value. Julio’s value is higher. So you are probably looking at a 1st. Let’s say we get Julio and a 4th from Atlanta for pick 9. But we also then need to make him the highest paid WR and beat the 30 mill gtd over the next 3 years that AB just got, total contract max 54 mill. 

He just turned 30 last month. Do you do it? 

I would do it for our 2nd rounder instead of first ( and not get a pick back). 

34 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Doug Whaley would approve of this.  We're just now finally in position where we have some cap flexibility.  Don't want to go back to where we were.

Yeah, it’s crazy.  When you have talented football players, they cost money.  Crazy. 

Now, some fans are praising Beane for not making a trade. Our standards are so low.

also, why would Atlanta make this trade unless they think Jones is washed?

Edited by C.Biscuit97

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it’s crazy.  When you have talented football players, they cost money.  Crazy. 

Now, some fans are praising Beane for not making a trade. Our standards are so low.

Why would the Steelers make this trade then?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why would the Steelers make this trade then?

Are you being serious Doc? You are smarter than this.  AB is a nut job and was trying to single handedly blow up the Steelers. Jones is a low key dude who wants to get paid by the Falcons.  They couldn’t be more different. 

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think Atlanta makes this trade because they just drafted Ridley, who has looked pretty good. Also they realize Ryan has only a few years left and they need to reload. Draft picks would help that. I mean look what Oakland did.... Cooper, a 3rd and a 5th for Brown and a 1st. Not bad for Oakland and they would have ended up paying Cooper just about what they are going to pay Brown.

I'm not sure why some fans think this will "wreck" the salary cap. They have a QB on the cheap for 4 more years. The biggest salary on the books is Star. They have to spend the money, just drafting players won't do that.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think Atlanta makes this trade because they just drafted Ridley, who has looked pretty good. Also they realize Ryan has only a few years left and they need to reload. Draft picks would help that. I mean look what Oakland did.... Cooper, a 3rd and a 5th for Brown and a 1st. Not bad for Oakland and they would have ended up paying Cooper just about what they are going to pay Brown.

I'm not sure why some fans think this will "wreck" the salary cap. They have a QB on the cheap for 4 more years. The biggest salary on the books is Star. They have to spend the money, just drafting players won't do that.

The Bills have like $120M of space in 2020 with only Hughes and Shady up I think. They should be overspending at this point while they have Allen on a rookie deal. This is the time to spend freely. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have like $120M of space in 2020 with only Hughes and Shady up I think. They should be overspending at this point while they have Allen on a rookie deal. This is the time to spend freely. 

Exactly, this is the time to over spend. Like the Rams are doing. Like the Bears are doing. You load up and make runs while you've got a cheap QB.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Obviously but those guys wouldn’t be available. I only provided Julio as a reference as to why he could be. It’s been rumored for awhile. 

To me it doesn’t matter how close they are to contending. We truly do not know how close they are. It’s not like I’m suggesting it’s either this OR upgrade the OL. They would not be “wrecking the cap” either. Its one big contract for an offensive weapon. I guess it’s the chicken-egg thing. I believe Julio would help Josh develop. I definitely don’t believe we would need to wait until he develops to invest in WR. 

OK.You do make good points there.-

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

Exactly, this is the time to over spend. Like the Rams are doing. Like the Bears are doing. You load up and make runs while you've got a cheap QB.

It is irresponsible not to overspend at the moment. I know people won’t like hearing it but it’s the truth. When Tre, Allen, etc... start getting market value contracts you can’t do it. Now is when you try to overpay to build up your talent. It is exactly like those teams that you allude to.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are you being serious Doc? You are smarter than this.  AB is a nut job and was trying to single handedly blow up the Steelers. Jones is a low key dude who wants to get paid by the Falcons.  They couldn’t be more different. 

LOL!  I don't think you realize what you just did.

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Sorry Wayne, but this makes no sense.  Ridley looks good because the Falcons have one of the best receivers across from hkm who draws a ton of coverage.  Also, Ryan has shown he is an elite QB who can just carry a team single handedly.  How would it makes sense to trade the best player on the team at the end of Ryan’s prime?  I would riot if I was a Falcons fan.

but yes, if the Falcons were dumb enough to make this move, I would take Julio and pay him a new contract.  He makes everything on your offense better simply with his presence.