Would you want the Bills to trade a high pick for Julio Jones and make him the highest paid WR?

So we now know the Bills are willing to take a big swing on trading for a big time WR. The next two primo WRs who are ready to get paid (i.e. their teams need to determine if they are going to break the bank) are Julio Jones and Michael Thomas. I don’t think Thomas is an option because if the Saints can’t come to an agreement they can tag him next year. The Saints are also an immediate contender with a small window and won’t want to mess with Brees’ favorite target. 

Julio on the other hand wants a new contract and the Falcons are in a weird spot. Matt Ryan has a gigantic deal and the team hasn’t been good since they went to the SB. They also drafted a WR in the 1st last year. The trade comp would be higher than it would have been for AB because the Steelers had  no leverage and he clearly tanked his value. Julio’s value is higher. So you are probably looking at a 1st. Let’s say we get Julio and a 4th from Atlanta for pick 9. But we also then need to make him the highest paid WR and beat the 30 mill gtd over the next 3 years that AB just got, total contract max 54 mill. 

He just turned 30 last month. Do you do it? 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ALF said:

OL first ,  see more progress from Allen before a huge WR move (like Sammy)

They can still build the OL. And I think this move aids the progress from Allen. The Bills appear to believe adding a proven WR would be beneficial, which is the basis for this. 

Tough call. I was never that big of an AB fan even before all the drama, but I would love to have Julio. I’d have to agree with Barbarian, we’re at least a year away from making this kind of a move.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They can still build the OL. And I think this move aids the progress from Allen. The Bills appear to believe adding a proven WR would be beneficial, which is the basis for this. 

That is a most tantalizing idea. If the Bills were considering trading Brown, then why not go after Jones?

You are right, the Bills can do this and still improve the O-Line.

The thing that makes me pause would be the asking price.

I love where the Bills are in the draft, and I think we could use all of the draft picks we have.

If Beane were to make a move like this, I could live with it. I have a lot of faith in our front office.

I don’t see him leaving Atlanta. Julio is one of Arthur Blanks and Thomas Dimitrofs  guys. The Julio trade was Dimitrofs first move as a GM.  I could go either way. Julio is an amazing wide receiver. He has had some great games playing in the cold. He is the ultimate ‘throw it up and have him go get it’ receiver. 

The reasons not to do it-

Julio is hurt a lot and misses a ton of practice time. This isn’t as big a deal when you have an established relationship and chemistry with your quarterback. In Buffalo it could prove a bigger issue.

Julio has a very tough time in the red zone making touchdown catches.

If Buffalo can make a ton of moves in FA and not need as much team building through draft, I would be ok with giving up a first for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

It's a deep year for WRs in the draft, draft 1 or 2 of them and consider getting one of the quality slot receivers in FA.

They still need do draft one either way. I’m just not a fan of bringing in a rookie and expecting him to flourish right away with a young QB as the #1 WR. They need to get a vet somehow who knows what he’s doing and can step right in to help Allen.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

They still need do draft one either way. I’m just not a fan of bringing in a rookie and expecting him to flourish right away with a young QB as the #1 WR. They need to get a vet somehow who knows what he’s doing and can step right in to help Allen.

I get it and I'm not opposed to trading for Julio but the #9 for a 30 year old?  I'm not too keen on that.  If I knew we could get 4 elite years of football then I would be for it, but its risky.  Over the past month I have become very impressed with the receivers that are available via the draft and I think the Bill's should draft a couple of them in the first 4 rounds.

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not for 9..

Maybe 40..

That would be great. I’m not sure if that gets it done, though. They don’t have a reason to trade him but they could improve the team overall if they did. They aren’t a contender right now with that roster. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a hypothetical, yes?  AFAIK, Jones has not demanded a trade.

Anyway, while Jones is not a head case like Brown, I just don’t want to see the Bills in cap hell by shooting their load on a 30 year old player.

If we were one player away from being a Superbowl contender, maybe.  Otherwise, build thru the draft.

JMO

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

This is a hypothetical, yes?  AFAIK, Jones has not demanded a trade.

Anyway, while Jones is not a head case like Brown, I just don’t want to see the Bills in cap hell by shooting their load on a 30 year old player.

If we were one player away from being a Superbowl contender, maybe.  Otherwise, build thru the draft.

JMO

He hasn’t demanded a trade. He’s demanded a new contract. 

I would bring up AJ Green too, but he’s said he’s ok with his deal. Not as much reason for Cincy to trade him. 

I’m intrigued by the idea of it but I want to see how free agency unfolds first. Let’s say we do land Paradis and Saffold then I’d be a little more comfortable doing this but if free agency stinks then no since we need to protect Allen first and foremost. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can’t see how Julio would ever want to come to Buffalo. Leave Atlanta where he’s been his whole career to come to a rebuilding team with an unproven rookie QB?  And we haven’t even discussed comfort of his dome versus playing outside in ice cold/snowy Buff.  But I suppose money talks...

AJ Green on the other hand... Buff is not a far departure from Cincy...

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He hasn’t demanded a trade. He’s demanded a new contract. 

Atlanta should give him one.  I’m not a big fan of players who don’t honor their contracts, but his stats prove he deserves more.  He’s in the final year of the current one, yes?

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Atlanta should give him one.  I’m not a big fan of players who don’t honor their contracts, but his stats prove he deserves more.  He’s in the final year of the current one, yes?

He has 2 years left. He was already holding out last year when he had 3 years left because he was the 9th highest paid WR.  This new AB deal is going to make it worse. Plus Tyreek Hill is about to get paid. The falcons moved some money around last year and converted some to signing bonus so he’d come to camp, and promised they would address a new deal this year. The question is where is this team and would they rather get a high pick in return and not pay him based on their performance the last couple years? They are going backwards.