Would you want the Bills to trade a high pick for Julio Jones and make him the highest paid WR?

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

It is irresponsible not to overspend at the moment. I know people won’t like hearing it but it’s the truth. When Tre, Allen, etc... start getting market value contracts you can’t do it. Now is when you try to overpay to build up your talent. It is exactly like those teams that you allude to.

Sure, overspend.  But not on nut jobs who try to single handedly blow up one of the best franchises.

1 minute ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Julio went to Alabamaa and plays 9 games in a dome and two games in the south every single year. Idk how he stacks up as a cold-weather wr. 

What is a cold weather WR? I’m not trying to be rude I just don’t see the elements effecting them. He’s a big bodied guy with a massive catch radius. I’m not sure how he will be a different guy over the 3 cold games a year?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sure, overspend.  But not on nut jobs who try to single handedly blow up one of the best franchises.

Totally fair

I’m not even suggesting particular players. I’m more responding to the people that are concerned about spending too much on someone. I’m suggesting the opposite. If you like a guy do what it takes to get him. You have no concerns about the cap.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it’s crazy.  When you have talented football players, they cost money.  Crazy. 

Now, some fans are praising Beane for not making a trade. Our standards are so low.

also, why would Atlanta make this trade unless they think Jones is washed?

Jones has a $13 mil + cap number.   likely just a numbers casualty.  Still not saying we should go for him.

5 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Julio went to Alabamaa and plays 9 games in a dome and two games in the south every single year. Idk how he stacks up as a cold-weather wr. 

Is this a thing? I’ve never heard anyone referred to as a cold or warm weather WR. Either you can play the position or you can’t. And the Bills play plenty of warm weather games even if it was a thing. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sorry Wayne, but this makes no sense.  Ridley looks good because the Falcons have one of the best receivers across from hkm who draws a ton of coverage.  Also, Ryan has shown he is an elite QB who can just carry a team single handedly.  How would it makes sense to trade the best player on the team at the end of Ryan’s prime?  I would riot if I was a Falcons fan.

but yes, if the Falcons were dumb enough to make this move, I would take Julio and pay him a new contract.  He makes everything on your offense better simply with his presence. 

I just don't think the Falcons are ready to pay what Julio wants, he's already sat out last season and he's the 9th highest paid WR. Not with Ryan on the books with a huge contract as well. With the Bills cap situation they should be overpaying for players, they need to. What Brown has just done has raised the price tag for Julio for the Falcons. If they could get another 1st and improve that team, it wouldn't be a ridiculous thing to do as much as Falcon fans would hate it. He's nearly through his prime and WR isn't a cornerstone of a franchise.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is irresponsible not to overspend at the moment. I know people won’t like hearing it but it’s the truth. When Tre, Allen, etc... start getting market value contracts you can’t do it. Now is when you try to overpay to build up your talent. It is exactly like those teams that you allude to.

I don’t think some fans understand how football windows work.  When you have a qb on a rookie deal, it’s your time to load up.  Then if your qb is good to get a big deal, you hope he is good enough to carry the team because you are going to have to unload talent.

i still have a ton questions about Allen but you need to load now because this is thecwindow for 2-3 years.  That’s why you need to make decisions on qbs being the long term answer after a few years.  It’s kinda crazy but that’s the business. Hard to be patient. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yet, they tried and and the Bills/ Buffalo look like idiots.  I never wanted AB and it was stupid to even entertain it. So much for character!!!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t think some fans understand how football windows work.  When you have a qb on a rookie deal, it’s your time to load up.  Then if your qb is good to get a big deal, you hope he is good enough to carry the team because you are going to have to unload talent.

i still have a ton questions about Allen but you need to load now because this is thecwindow for 2-3 years.  That’s why you need to make decisions on qbs being the long term answer after a few years.  It’s kinda crazy but that’s the business. Hard to be patient. 

Yet, they tried and and the Bills/ Buffalo look like idiots.  I never wanted AB and it was stupid to even entertain it. So much for character!!!

I think that Jameis and Mariota are the best current examples. What should those teams do? They can go the Dalton/Tannehill route or they can let them walk and hope to not draft the next Bortles. It’s tricky

• Like (+1) 1

As much as I like Julio and his positive attitude I think it's more important to "stay the course" and keep building this offense with young players. Use your FA capability on OL and find a WR/TE in this draft. This looks like a loaded draft for this strategy. If Julio was 26-27 I'd say yes, but that ship has sailed. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that Jameis and Mariota are the best current examples. What should those teams do? They can go the Dalton/Tannehill route or they can let them walk and hope to not draft the next Bortles. It’s tricky

I know it’s kinda crazy.  You almost are better off if your qb looks like a stud or total bust.  If Allen looks like a Tannehill type, you have to draft a qb high before his 5th year option.

• Like (+1) 1

You can bring in a huge name at WR, but if the guy throwing the ball is Josh Allen, your success is going to be limited.

As exhibit A, I submit trading up to get Sammy Watkins at a time when the QB of the team was EJ Manuel.

That didn't work either.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You can bring in a huge name at WR, but if the guy throwing the ball is Josh Allen, your success is going to be limited.

As exhibit A, I submit trading up to get Sammy Watkins at a time when the QB of the team was EJ Manuel.

That didn't work either.

Sammy did have 100 yard game from EJ though!

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think Arians is gonna resurrect Jameis, but Vrabel is not gonna stake his claim to Mariota. I see them moving on from him. JMO.

The Dalton/Tannehill model is really the worst; guys that are good enough to not dump but not good enough to get over the hump.

That's why I want to surround JA with talent ASAP so we know what we have.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I think Arians is gonna resurrect Jameis, but Vrabel is not gonna stake his claim to Mariota. I see them moving on from him. JMO.

The Dalton/Tannehill model is really the worst; guys that are good enough to not dump but not good enough to get over the hump.

That's why I want to surround JA with talent ASAP so we know what we have.

It’s an insult to Dalton to compare him to RT.  Dalton has been much more successful than RT.

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That didn't work either.

I’m not sure that’s an apt comparison. They gave up more for Watkins and most importantly he was a rookie. The whole point of this is to bring in a proven, top notch WR as the #1 and not to make a rookie absorb that role with a young QB. I do realize that your post is suggesting that you don’t think Josh will improve regardless of what is around him, which is something that no one knows (but I’d certainly like to see if he does, instead of surrounding him with crap). I’m pretty sure the team doesn’t share your opinion though otherwise they wouldn’t have drafted him. No one knows what he will be, yet. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well said and 100% accurate on both points. We're on the clock and we have 4 full seasons left to make a run before cap room becomes an issue. Going after someone who's personality would not allow him to be seen in Buffalo should've been obvious to Beane & Co.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We'll agree to disagree.  I have no problem with them exploring things and then backing out of a bad deal.  Again the problem was the premature report by Rapoport.  As for the Bills looking like idiots, like I told BIG BOY, grow a pair.

27 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That didn't work either.

Foster wasn't limited by Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

His injury history concerns me, but I would trade for him. I wouldn’t give a first though. I’d probably offer a swap of firsts and a second this year or sormthing along those lines.

Well, then you’re not going to get him.