Joe Marino (paraphrasing): "Bills will add an edge rusher in free agency in a 'creative' way"

On the most recent episode of the Locked on Bills podcast, around 16 minutes in he starts talking about edge rushers and said that he can't divulge specific names, but he's been told that Buffalo will be taking a run at addressing the edge rusher position in "creative ways" this offseason, specifically to plan for the future at the position.

He also specified that they will not pursue Clowney.

I'm guessing this means they'll be making sort of an under-the-radar dart throw of a signing to see if they happen to get lucky and get a guy to breakout. Wouldn't be surprised if maybe it's one of their former Panther guys: Kony Ealy. Seems like people could make an argument that Anthony Barr would be a "creative" approach to adding an edge rusher too since he's been mostly an off-ball LB to this point.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

On the most recent episode of the Locked on Bills podcast, around 16 minutes in he starts talking about edge rushers and said that he can't divulge specific names, but he's been told that Buffalo will be taking a run at addressing the edge rusher position in "creative ways" this offseason, specifically to plan for the future at the position.

He also specified that they will not pursue Clowney.

I'm guessing this means they'll be making sort of an under-the-radar dart throw of a signing to see if they happen to get lucky and get a guy to breakout. Wouldn't be surprised if maybe it's one of their former Panther guys: Kony Ealy. Seems like people could make an argument that Anthony Barr would be a "creative" approach to adding an edge rusher too since he's been mostly an off-ball LB to this point.

When I hear creative ways the last thing I think of is someone's castoff.  Maybe a trade, but signing a FA isn't creative.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe he means signing an hybrid type player that was used in a different position with his current team. A strong safety or an undersized interior lineman?

That’s all I got for “creative” 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

When I hear creative ways the last thing I think of is someone's castoff.  Maybe a trade, but signing a FA isn't creative.

Marino specifically said "in free agency"

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t listen to it but was he talking “free agency” specifically? The first thing that I thought was a trade. Maybe some team with cap constraints would deal a guy to help them dig out? 

Yes

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Marino specifically said "in free agency"

Yes

Well, signing a meh guy and selling him as the answer doesn't seem very creative (except on getting buy in from the fan base, that would be a creative sales job).

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are planning on signing a MLB and moving Edmunds to edge?

Draft White, move Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, stony said:

Charles Clay was a "creative" free agent signing.  Here's hoping "creative" means something different this time.  

By creative, do you mean overpaying to make sure Miami couldn't match? I won't put the contact on Clay at all. Players need to get paid if they have the opportunity...but that was a terrible contract for a guy that can play but is not in the top 15 of TE's in the league. 

Edited by HansLanda

7 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are planning on signing a MLB and moving Edmunds to edge?

That seems to make sense to me too.  That or a trade.

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

By creative, do you mean overpaying to make sure Miami couldn't match? 

I do consider offer sheets creative

maybe they are considering Dee Ford (ducks). He’s getting tagged but KC is open to trading him. Similar situation to the Jarvis Landry trade last year, they could end up tagging and then pulling the tag once the trade happens.