How can we not be all in on Metcalf now?

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Right. If you don’t have DS you might burn higher picks, even the pats used a 1st on a guard in attempt to get it right. 

I believe the plan was to play Wynn at LT, but he got hurt.

I also believe that's why they haven't made much of an effort to re-sign Trent Brown.

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

"And yet no 1st round pick on their SB winning OL."

So, tell m again how I am incorrect with my above statement

Ok if I am incorrect name me ONE just ONE OL in this first round that will "fix" the Bills OL?

You are arguing like a lawyer. My larger point is that good teams invest in offensive lines, and that really good offensive linemen who consistently produce tend to be early-round investments more often than not. Moreover, 25 percent of the Patriots' last 12 first round picks have been offensive linemen. 

Rather than repeating, ad nauseum, "Patriots 2018, Patriots 2018, Patriots 2018," why not engage the broader argument and larger context? The top teams in offensive DVOA mostly invested heavily in offensive line: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff2018 .

NE did in fact have a first rounder on their o-line in both their 2014 and 2016 SB seasons too. 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I also believe that's why they haven't made much of an effort to re-sign Trent Brown.

That is correct.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah that was the talk around here, it’s a bold move if they let Brown walk but again, DS. Blah. 

35 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think the biggest takeaway regarding building an OL is that there's no one way to do it right.

Teams like Dallas use multiple first-round picks over several years to accumulate talent, and it works.

Teams like NE use multiple mid-round picks over several years to accumulate talent, and it works.

Teams like the Rams identify key FAs in a single offseason that fit their scheme (Whitworth, Sullivan, Blythe) and sign them to big contracts, and it works.

The important thing is that the team identify talented players that fit their scheme, and invest whatever is necessary to get them in the fold.

There is no one way to do it right, but it does seem to be the case that getting early round talent -- whether you drafted them or another team did -- is one of the keys to success. You may have to pay a fair bit in FA for another team's first rounder, but it's typically a pretty safe investment. 

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

"And yet no 1st round pick on their SB winning OL."

So, tell m again how I am incorrect with my above statement

Ok if I am incorrect name me ONE just ONE OL in this first round that will "fix" the Bills OL?

I don't think anybody is saying that ONE O-lineman is gonna fix it. There are multiple spots to upgrade. 

39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think the biggest takeaway regarding building an OL is that there's no one way to do it right.

Teams like Dallas use multiple first-round picks over several years to accumulate talent, and it works.

Teams like NE use multiple mid-round picks over several years to accumulate talent, and it works.

Teams like the Rams identify key FAs in a single offseason that fit their scheme (Whitworth, Sullivan, Blythe) and sign them to big contracts, and it works.

The important thing is that the team identify talented players that fit their scheme, and invest whatever is necessary to get them in the fold.

Agreed. My point was, not every team can just take low rd picks and just turn them into a championship caliber OL.  

Seemed to me that MAJ was saying that winning teams don’t draft OL in the first rd because they just coach everyone up.    My point was, even the teams that coach their OL up occasionally use high picks on the OL.

That three cone number is a huge red flag. I would like to see him reduce his muscle mass and work on his flexibility. He is not training smart for a WR. He is training more like a body builder. I would hope Metcalf can get that three cone number under 7.00 by his pro day.

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

That three cone number is a huge red flag. I would like to see him reduce his muscle mass and work on his flexibility. He is not training smart for a WR. He is training more like a body builder. I would hope Metcalf can get that three cone number under 7.00 by his pro day.

He's definitely not following the TB12 method!

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

A GM that will do the coaches wants states their is no True No 1 WR in the NFL anymore.  Go figure.  It will be a Defensive player I am sure.  

Nope I said their SB winning line had No 1st round pick.  Was I wrong?

I am not against fixing the OL.  I just would like it addressed in UFA with already developed OL.  Instead of spinning Wheels on a position that is Underdeveloped in College and with the CBA takes alot longer (if ever) to fix those under developed OL.  

Fix the OL in UFA

Fix the OL in FA. I would be extremely happy if we could do that.  I just don’t think we’re going to be able to sign 3 very good offensive lineman.

I’d like to build a great OL.  I don’t want to see Josh Allen running for his life every drop back.  I don’t wanna see our running game of last year ever again. It was abysmal.

Running the ball. Was HUGE in the playoffs this year. A great OL will give us that AND allow Josh Allen to become the best qb he can be.  I’m not saying that we have to draft an OL with our first pick, but we have to be open to talking one if an OL is the BPA in the early rounds 

D.K. Metcalf had a great combine ... but was slower than Tom Brady in some drills

Metcalf had a 3-cone drill of 7.38 seconds and a shuttle time of 4.5 seconds. Brady ran the 3-cone drill in 7.2 seconds and the shuttle in 4.38 seconds at the 2000 combine.

Was it just technique or is there something concerning about Metcalf’s short-area athleticism?

https://sports.yahoo.com/dk-metcalf-had-a-great-combine-but-was-slower-than-tom-brady-in-some-drills-160122585.html

Being built like a tank and running the 40 very fast is great, but neither matters if a receiver doesn’t have the quickness to get open in the NFL.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

D.K. Metcalf had a great combine ... but was slower than Tom Brady in some drills

Metcalf had a 3-cone drill of 7.38 seconds and a shuttle time of 4.5 seconds. Brady ran the 3-cone drill in 7.2 seconds and the shuttle in 4.38 seconds at the 2000 combine.

Was it just technique or is there something concerning about Metcalf’s short-area athleticism?

https://sports.yahoo.com/dk-metcalf-had-a-great-combine-but-was-slower-than-tom-brady-in-some-drills-160122585.html

Being built like a tank and running the 40 very fast is great, but neither matters if a receiver doesn’t have the quickness to get open in the NFL.

Totally agree with your points. And as they say on Shark Tank, " I'm Out".

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, papazoid said:

Per some scouts who were there, it was technique.  Slipped during the drill.

AJ Brown (also from Ole Miss) in 2nd / 3rd > DK Metcalf in 1..... This has Vernon Gholston written all over it.. physical freak, ran and tested off the charts at combine, no lateral movement, not good in pros.

Give me OL in first round. Or sign Darryl Williams.. trade down.. take TE/C/G (if C is available after trade down)

Just now, dje85 said:

Wasn't Beane quoted as saying in today's NFL you don't need a true wr just guys that get open / separation? I feel like that soundbite screams wr in the second round the earliest. 

He and McDermott both said that. Could be calculated. 

22 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Wasn't Beane quoted as saying in today's NFL you don't need a true wr just guys that get open / separation? I feel like that soundbite screams wr in the second round the earliest. 

And there will be good receivers in the 2nd. If the Bills can somehow get an AJ Brown/Harry in the 2nd, I’ll throw a foam party for the board.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Awesome! (+1) 1