Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect intended here...but why do people keep bringing up Moulds?  I mean, its a silly argument.  I can go through history on any subject and find some random example of how it went one time.  By no means does it mean its going to repeat exactly the same under different circumstances.

I mean there are literally no similarities between Zay and Moulds other than they both play(ed) WR for the Bills.  They are not the same player, not the same circumstances, not the same offense, not the same era, not the same system, etc etc.  

That being said, I will be pulling for Zay to become an important WR like Moulds was for the Bills even if I am skeptical on how he will fare against stiff competition.  I like the kid, so hopefully he takes a big step forward this year.  I mean ultimately, I can care less about being right in a discussion about a feeling I had in the beginning of the offseason.  I would much rather see Zay become a big time player for this team and will cheer for it to happen.  Will be a good competition to watch unfold this year.  

I see your point that his making roster is not a given.  Agreed.  

Interested to see what a full camp and OTAs brings to help him bond with JA.  

I believe Zay missed all OTAs, minicamp and a good part of last years camp because of rehab on knee and shoulder surgeries.  In 2017 he injured knee in OTAs and missed some of those and minicamp.  

Hopefully this year he gets to be part of all 3.  Time will tell what impact that will have on his role in offense. 

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I see your point that his making roster is not a given.  Agreed.  

Interested to see what a full camp and OTAs brings to help him bond with JA.  

I believe Zay missed all OTAs, minicamp and a good part of last years camp because of rehab on knee and shoulder surgeries.  In 2017 he injured knee in OTAs and missed some of those and minicamp.  

Hopefully this year he gets to be part of all 3.  Time will tell what impact that will have on his role in offense. 

These are very good points, and honestly until his interview the other day, I didn't know he missed OTAs both years up until now.  I knew he missed one OTA, but forgot he missed them both with injuries.  It was a good interview and makes one want to keep rooting for him.  

Like I have maintained many times through this thread, I have nothing personal against Zay.  I would love to see him become a key player for this team, someone Allen can grow with and depend on.  His work ethic seems to be great too based on what has been said about him in the past.  But at the end of the day, what I have seen of him in years 1 and 2 still brings skepticism until I see something different on the field.  And he has earned that skepticism with very few impactful games, too many mistakes, too many drops, etc.  So its like anyone is being unfair in their criticisms thus far, at least most aren't.  

Its pretty exciting competition we have forming at WR (and some other positions too).  Will be fun to watch, and like I said already, I will be cheering him on for his success.  I do not care at all if some thought I had on February 27th is validated or not.  I just want this team to keep going in the right direction.  

I literally can not wait to see Josh out there too and slinging it to all these guys!  Honestly, I think Duke is the guy I am the most excited to see simply because I would really love to have a guy with his skill set for Josh...big, high points, makes contested catches, large catch radius...especially around the red zone and especially since we just lost Kroft for a bit.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You've missed the entire point of this thread.  This right here says to me that you're here hoping to get an "I told you so" moment even though this was never a right or wrong thread, it was an open discussion on how the offseason COULD impact Zay's future.  

I could care less if my gut feeling on February 27th comes true or not.  This was an open discussion about the possibility of what the offseason would add to the WR room and how that may impact the 53 man roster week 1.  Some of you seem to only be invested in hoping to get an "I told you so" notch on your belt.  Which is funny, because everyone on this board has been "wrong" about many thoughts or predictions many more times than being right, so the "I told you so" is a pretty worthless accomplishment.

So, no, I am not interested in your bet.  I actually do not want to root against Zay, I MUCH PREFER seeing him go out and seize his opportunities and make this team better over betting against him and hoping he fails just so some stupid thought last February can be proven right and I can say "I told you so" and win money.  

I am a Bills fan...I want to cheer Zay on, not root against him.  

no disrespect intended, however... if this wasn't an, 'i told you so thread', it wouldn't have been titled,  'calling it now, Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster'.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

no disrespect intended, however... if this wasn't an, 'i told you so thread', it wouldn't have been titled,  'calling it now, Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster'.

All good, but equally no disrespect intended...people should read threads and not thread titles.  If people want to form opinions on a thread title instead of participating in the dialogue, then they aren't really worth the time to talk to anyway.  The thread title was a prediction, not a "I am right and everyone else is wrong" statement...and lots of good dialogue on both sides throughout this thread.   

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, but equally no disrespect intended...people should read threads and not thread titles.  If people want to form opinions on a thread title instead of participating in the dialogue, then they aren't really worth the time to talk to anyway.  The thread title was a prediction, not a "I am right and everyone else is wrong" statement...and lots of good dialogue on both sides throughout this thread.   

Entering the third year a receiver, or any player at any position for that matter, should be in a position to demonstrate an ability to play or not. Our OL should be improved, the qb play should be improved and a solid running game should also help in the passing game. Zay Jones is not a #1 receiver, and never will be. What I believe him to be is a possible #2 or more likely a solid #3. With the additions of Cole Beasly and John Brown added to the unit I don't see Zay drawing double coverage. I think that Zay is going to put up some respectable numbers this season and be a contributor. I'm expecting a solid to good season from Zay. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you might be taking it a bit too personally.

You threw it out there and made some strong arguments. It created a long dialogue about Jones and people have made solid cases on both sides. 

I'm slightly encouraged by Zay's offseason regimen and hope that gives him some much needed confidence on the field. He hasn't done anything exceptionally well to this point, and I'm not convinced he ever will. That being said, I believe he WILL be on the week one roster for better or worse. Meh. I'm pretty sure you're more interested in seeing the Bills do well than being proven correct on a random thought you had in February. If Zay actually breaks out and makes this thread look silly, the Bills are almost certainly in a good spot.

Edited by LSHMEAB

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

That's what I got from the way the title was worded as well.

46 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think you might be taking it a bit too personally.

You threw it out there and made some strong arguments. It created a long dialogue about Jones and people have made solid cases on both sides. 

I'm slightly encouraged by Zay's offseason regimen and hope that gives him some much needed confidence on the field. He hasn't done anything exceptionally well to this point, and I'm not convinced he ever will. That being said, I believe he WILL be on the week one roster for better or worse. Meh. I'm pretty sure you're more interested in seeing the Bills do well than being proven correct on a random thought you had in February. If Zay actually breaks out and makes this thread look silly, the Bills are almost certainly in a good spot.

Nah, definitely not taking anything personal.  Been a great thread I fully enjoyed.  Vast majority of comments have been great back and forth dialogue from both sides.  

And yes, you’re correct, as I have said several times I would much rather see Zay succeed.  I could care less about whether or not this feeling I had before free agency is proven right, I just want success for the team and everyone on it.  

In the end, this thread was merely a bold prediction that spurned great discussion.  We all win if Zay proves the doubters wrong, so go Zay!  

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Again, a good sign from OTAs that Zay has the inside track:

https://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/2157e6920ded4/buffalo-bills-week-2-otas-2019-josh-allen-lights-it-up-7-observations.html

Jones, Brown and McCloud seemed like receivers that had the most reps with the first team in practice this week after Foster was featured a lot last week. Foster still had a few reps and Andre Roberts was sprinkled in as well. Jones looked like the arguable class of the group. His quickness and route running led to a highlight-reel touchdown catch in a red zone drill. Allen split some defenders and Jones made a nice grab before easily trotting into the end zone. Jones as so excited he ran over to Bills general manager Brandon Beane, who was standing in the back of the end zone, for a quick celebratory hug. Fan favorite Duke Williams struggled hanging on to the ball throughout practice. He had a few drops and had trouble when Johnson was on him in coverage.

I'm happy to hear Jones looks improved this offseason. We might want to give up on the Duke Williams dream. He's struggling to catch the ball and is stuck with the 3rd team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

https://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/05/2157e6920ded4/buffalo-bills-week-2-otas-2019-josh-allen-lights-it-up-7-observations.html

I'm happy to hear Jones looks improved this offseason. We might want to give up on the Duke Williams dream. He's struggling to catch the ball and is stuck with the 3rd team.

Fake news! I heard he steamrolled some guy in the CFL. Duke is a lock.

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Should we wait till at least the pads come on before we give up on him ? 

I don’t remember R Foster  lighting it up in OTA’s last year  , 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think we had a QB running with the 3’s last off season, it’s his offense now

Not that Williams is the same sitch, but early days, early days

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2019 at 4:03 PM, John from Riverside said:

I think we all want Zay to do well....god knows the bills have been patient with this and probably would  not have if he were not a 2nd round pick

Would LOVE to see the Zay Jones in the 2nd Miami game of last year more often.

To be fair our WRs were catastrophic and he’s getting his patience because he was definitely less bad than most of them. 

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:26 AM, GunnerBill said:

I am disappointed we haven't had more naked Zay this offseason. 

One way or another in the upcoming season he is going to be exposed either in a good way or bad way. :ph34r:

Edited by JohnC
highlight