TV Shows That Stayed On Too Long

45 minutes ago, bbb said:

'

But, Happy Days actually jumped the shark way before Fonzie jumped the shark.  I would argue it was lame after a great first season.  Chuck was gone with no explanation, Fonzie went from a tough guy without a leather jacket to whatever he was after that with a leather jacket,  and it went from single camera to multi camera.

It really seemed like it was in the 50s.  Within a few years, they were wearing 70s haircuts and not even pretending it was in the 50s.

In the end Richie wasn’t even there any more. 

I think they they had two or three good years, but it got too bland and predictable. MASH was the same way and about at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I think they they had two or three good years, but it got too bland and predictable. MASH was the same way and about at the same time.

Col. Potter was a “horse’s patoot!”

MASH died with Henry Blake.

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Walking Dead lost me shortly after Negan appeared. 

Became a "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" kinda thing after the governor season. Not sure what number that one was. Four?

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Married With Children really fell off the last couple seasons...just became way too "slap sticky" and gimmicky. 

When "7" first appeared?

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That x 100  

Clogging the networks 

Supernatural

Arrow

Flash

Survivor 

Big Brother

the Bachelor and  Bachelorette

Family Guy

I fully understand why you and others do not like these.  A guilty pleasure for me though have to admit. Love all the reality stuff. Also enjoy "The Challange", "Below Deck" and " Million Dollar Listing" ?

8 minutes ago, Dante said:

Became a "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" kinda thing after the governor season. Not sure what number that one was. Four?

When "7" first appeared?

I think it was already getting to that point before he appeared from what I remember but that certainly didn't help things.  For the record, as a whole Married With Children is still one of my Top 5 Sitcoms of all time!

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think it was already getting to that point before he appeared from what I remember but that certainly didn't help things.  For the record, as a whole Married With Children is still one of my Top 5 Sitcoms of all time!

Yes, it could have started before that. I just remember that's the last season that was entertaining for me.

I agree with Married With Children. One of my favs as well. Lots of memorable scenes. What was great about it was the complete lack of social or political commentary. All the characters suffered from a severe lack of character! So good and still holds up today.

Edited by Dante

7 hours ago, shrader said:

I have no issue with where South Park is today, but I kind of wish they ended it a few years ago with that season finale where Stan  became ridiculously cynical and the Marsh's moved away.  That would have been a great way to awkwardly end the show when no one expected it.

I disagree....there's no story or character arc to SP so don't think think there's a 'right note' to go out on.  They've always had unfunny episodes but they've always, and still, have the ability to knock it out of the park.

A lot of good ones mentioned above;  a few more:

Entourage -- Initially hilarious but was painfully bad by the end.

That 70s Show -- needed to end before they all grew up

Friends -- I guess they had to keep it going until everyone had banged everyone else

Someone will eventually say the Sopranos, but they will be wrong.

Edited by KD in CA

6 minutes ago, Dante said:

Yes, it could have started before that. I just remember that's the last season that was entertaining for me.

I agree with Married With Children. One of my favs as well. Lots of memorable scenes. What was great about it was the complete lack of social or political commentary. All the characters suffered from a severe lack of character! So good and still holds up today.

I agree that is still holds up today yet I still consider it a timepiece as well in the sense when you go back and watch it, it really captures the general feeling of how things were back in the 90s

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I disagree....there's no story or character arc to SP so don't think think there's a 'right note' to go out on.  They've always had unfunny episodes but they've always, and still, have the ability to knock it out of the park.

A lot of good ones mentioned above;  a few more:

Entourage -- Initially hilarious but was painfully bad by the end.

That 70s Show -- needed to end before they all grew up

Friends -- I guess they had to keep it going until everyone had banged everyone else

Someone will eventually say the Sopranos, but they will be wrong.

The last few seasons of south park have had story arcs for the season

I didnt have an issue with Entourage, although most seasons the story was the same. Vince films a movie, there are issues with it, things work out in the end.....

Most shows, like That 70s show, stay on too long when the main characters leave and they try to move on with new characters replacing them. That 70s Show, The Office, Two and a Half Men, etc. Very few shows get better late in their run when they make major changes to the main cast members

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Definitely MASH was the same way - it was my favorite show in high school and maybe even junior high, but it was unwatchable in the 80s.  And, yeah, they did mirror each other in terms of being my two favorite shows at the same time, and not standing them later, also at the same time.

6 hours ago, bbb said:

'

But, Happy Days actually jumped the shark way before Fonzie jumped the shark.  I would argue it was lame after a great first season.  Chuck was gone with no explanation, Fonzie went from a tough guy without a leather jacket to whatever he was after that with a leather jacket,  and it went from single camera to multi camera.

It really seemed like it was in the 50s.  Within a few years, they were wearing 70s haircuts and not even pretending it was in the 50s.

In Sling Blade, John Ritter insisted that his gay Dollar Store manager character have the last name of Cunningham.

He said it would explain what happened to Chuck from Happy Days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Personally, I enjoyed Game of Thrones until whichever season they introduced Dorne, and it was over at that point. I think it was season 5.

Once they got past GRRMs original material, it was clear that the writers had no ***** idea what they were doing. It was painful to watch.

Pretty much any "good" show that was ever on SHOWTIME, went on for way too long...

Dexter - should have ended after the Trinity Killer in season 3,

Shameless -it is painful to watch now, even though it has a fantastic cast, just awful writing

Nurse Jackie - it wasn't horrible at the end, but it just got sort of repetitive, should have ended a season earlier

Weeds- Really liked it, until they went to Mexico, season 5 I think...the last 3 seasons were terrible

Homeland- could have ended after 2 seasons

Others:

The Walking Dead: had the uncanny ability to make you keep watching, even though it was, in truth, never very good.  It seemed like you were always waiting for it to get better, and they made it seemed like it would...but it was just the same thing, over and over....terrible show. Stopped watching during the first Neegan season. Horrible, lazy writing....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That x 100  

Clogging the networks 

Supernatural

Arrow

Flash

Survivor 

Big Brother

the Bachelor and  Bachelorette

Family Guy

I can understand why this show would be picked, however I still love it.

The writers have done a great job in keeping Supernatural entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1