Cardinals sign Charles Clay

JK Fan

Charles Clay - Lots of talent, lacks the mental game and passion.  I think age and injuries have factored into that, but when it comes to the pass game, if he isnt heavily involved he isnt mentally in the game and makes a lot mistakes.

At this stage in his career, he can still be a mediocre to solid player, especially since he is still a good blocker.  Good luck, but it was time for a change here in Buffalo and for him.   

I won't miss his inconsistent routes, dropped TD's, dropped passes, or watching passes bounce off his back or head because he isnt even looking for the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I wonder if he worked Wednesdays off in his new contract.

Honestly, that’s pretty standard for vet nfl players.  Pretty stupid to destroy older players in practice. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Charles Clay - Lots of talent, lacks the mental game and passion.  I think age and injuries have factored into that, but when it comes to the pass game, if he isnt heavily involved he isnt mentally in the game and makes a lot mistakes.

At this stage in his career, he can still be a mediocre to solid player, especially since he is still a good blocker.  Good luck, but it was time for a change here in Buffalo and for him.   

I won't miss his inconsistent routes, dropped TD's, dropped passes, or watching passes bounce off his back or head because he isnt even looking for the ball.  

Mental game??? I heard a bunch of coaches praise him for how much he has to do in the offense.  

If they're willing to put in all the special treatment he requires at this stage in his career, if he is able to avoid any big hits to his knees or back, and if he and Rosen have a natural chemistry - it could work for a year or two. But those are a lot of 'if's'. Personally, I think he's toast. But for 1 year 3.5 - it's worth a shot for them.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

His injuries are chronic.

He can’t practice and his skills are diminishing as demonstrated last year when he was a healthy scratch on several occasions..

There is no reason to think he will be improved in 2019 and he certainly wasn’t worth paying $4.5 mil..

Just when I thought the Cardinals were starting to figure it out, they fall back into the abyss of stupidity. And for all those so mortified over the negative comments Charles is getting,  name me 1 remarkable season he had with us under that inflated contract? He was the Chris Kelsay of Bill's TE's. If anything helps accelerate Rosen's political career it will be Charles....

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, that’s pretty standard for vet nfl players.  Pretty stupid to destroy older players in practice. 

Mental game??? I heard a bunch of coaches praise him for how much he has to do in the offense.  

I have never seen a player have so many passes thrown his way where he is jogging or not looking for the ball.  3rd down and critical junction in the game, runs out to the sideline, Tyrod hits him in the back as he doesn't even turn to look for the ball...we lost the game.  Touchdowns dropped (several times), key first downs dropped (several times), half a** routes when he isnt engaged in the game, etc etc.

Ive been complaining about his lack of focus on a week to week basis for several years now.  He is a guy who can be lethal when fully engaged, but if he isn't a focal point enough, he tends to lack the focus and commitment on an every down basis and makes a lot of mental errors.  My biggest Clay complaint over the years has been this.  

44 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it’s pretty pathetic from some of the greatest fans.  I mean if you hate OJ, I get it.  But people hated Gilmore because he didn’t smile. So dumb.

But we dont hate OJ.

We hate Gilmore because when he smiled He had TB12 dripping from his chin.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have never seen a player have so many passes thrown his way where he is jogging or not looking for the ball.  3rd down and critical junction in the game, runs out to the sideline, Tyrod hits him in the back as he doesn't even turn to look for the ball...we lost the game.  Touchdowns dropped (several times), key first downs dropped (several times), half a** routes when he isnt engaged in the game, etc etc.

Ive been complaining about his lack of focus on a week to week basis for several years now.  He is a guy who can be lethal when fully engaged, but if he isn't a focal point enough, he tends to lack the focus and commitment on an every down basis and makes a lot of mental errors.  My biggest Clay complaint over the years has been this.  

Havent noticed it.  Except last season.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If they're willing to put in all the special treatment he requires at this stage in his career, if he is able to avoid any big hits to his knees or back, and if he and Rosen have a natural chemistry - it could work for a year or two. But those are a lot of 'if's'. Personally, I think he's toast. But for 1 year 3.5 - it's worth a shot for them.

It’s only 350k guaranteed 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Injuries took their toll but I never got the hate.  He will be a solid/ move TE for them.  Good for Clay and a nice addition for Rosen. 

I never hated the guy, but I learned to hate the contract and his inability to stay healthy. I doubt those knees get any better, but I’ll wish him the best. It was time to move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He wasn't for Allen.  Why for Rosen?

A few bad Rosen throws will be attributed to Clay’s dropping them.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lots of people choose to go to Arizona to retire. Solid choice by Chuck. 

The ‘dry heat’ will be good for those creaky knees...