Charles Clay impressions?

Zerovoltz

It's no secret I'm a Chiefs fan.....KC will be in the TE2 market.  I know from being around this board a while, Charles Clay has fallen out of favor here.  Wondering what your evaluation of him is?  I am curious if he'd be a good fit as our TE2 in KC....how is he as a blocker?  route runner?  etc?  I know you all are pissed he didn't catch that dying duck Allen threw in Miami...but as objectively as you can...what and who is Charles Clay at this point in his career?

Underperforming, overpaid, not available enough. 

Not all of which are entirely his fault, as he has got open from time to time, but hasn’t been thrown the football. His hands aren’t great though, so that might be a blessing in disguise.

Best blocker of the Bills TEs, but still not good enough, imho.

Injury prone is probably not fair, but misses too many games, and has knees that see him sit out a lot of practices. Which I believe has contributed to him not getting the looks he might have. 

Clay isn’t a bad player, but he’s on the slippery slope downhill, unless something changes dramatically.

2 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

It's no secret I'm a Chiefs fan.....KC will be in the TE2 market.  I know from being around this board a while, Charles Clay has fallen out of favor here.  Wondering what your evaluation of him is?  I am curious if he'd be a good fit as our TE2 in KC....how is he as a blocker?  route runner?  etc?  I know you all are pissed he didn't catch that dying duck Allen threw in Miami...but as objectively as you can...what and who is Charles Clay at this point in his career?

He's not the match-up nightmare he was a few years ago. He's still our best blocking TE, but that isn't saying much when out of our three TE's 2 of them are converted from other positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

When healthy hes a good TE 1, dispite what people on this board may think.  I really wouldnt be shocked if he stayed put.  He  a good all around TE.

In two years will you be on the Chiefs board asking about whether your new favorite team should pick up Sammy Watkins for their WR3?

56 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

When healthy hes a good TE 1, dispite what people on this board may think.  I really wouldnt be shocked if he stayed put.  He  a good all around TE.

Except in the past two years his hands have been horrible. A good number 1 tight end in today’s NFL has much better hands. We aren’t taking about 1 big drop here. Numerous. How many would-be touchdowns has he had bounce off of his hands? Far to many to be a number 1 tight end. 

Good tight ends are are game changers in today’s game and he is nowhere near that. 

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

He's a degenerative knee issue that's only going to get worse. My guess is that he's more likely to retire within the next 12 months than regain anything of his former self.

This. He had two reasonable years of production in Roman's offense but the knee issue has really slowed him. He can't block like he used to because his bad knee has affected his ability to anchor his base and he doesn't move as well running routes as he used to. I don't think Clay will be in the NFL next year. The Bills will cut him and he will only be offered small TE2 deals and will decide it is not worth risking his health for.

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Wait What????      

Clay has fallen out of favor with the fans.   Not sure what the FO thinks 

47 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'd suggest converting kelvin Benjamin, he just needs a little work on in line blocking.

Kelvin Benjamin converted to TE is Jason Croom. Can't catch, can't block, runs horrid routes and has ball security issues. I really want the Bills to start over at the TE position and rebuild it through FA and the draft.