Jim Kelly retired 22 years ago today - original broadcast

YoloinOhio

I remember this vividly, tough day as a Bills fan--in hindsight I should've been able to see it was coming, but at the time I just figured you couldn't keep the guy down long enough to keep him away from playing in the NFL, especially given how the last game he played ended against the Jags. We also found out later that shortly after this press conference, Jim discovered he was going to have a son, Hunter...may he rest in peace.

So happy for the guy now though, in terms of how he's taken what life's thrown his way since football, and turned those negatives into positives for other people's lives as well--that's the hallmark of a real life hero to me, just my .02 cents.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had such high hopes for Todd Collins 

If only we had waited a couple years to draft a Michigan QB!

I was at that Jags game and it was pretty clear the team as I knew it was done. Hard to quantify. Just a feeling in the air that was palpable.

I hate Mark Brunell.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had such high hopes for Todd Collins 

I didn't think much of him but really hoped LoseMan would be something ,knew ej was a bust and wasnt sold on Allen but im all in now. Really think Allen will be special.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Brings me back to the days when women news anchors were hired based on abilities instead of looks...

things really are improving.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I have a memory (perhaps a little fuzzy) of watching Buffalo evening news sportscast during the negotiations to get Kelly here after the USFL folded. The story that night was all about how Jim wanted Ralph to pay up if he wanted him in Buffalo. I just remember the Sportscaster implying that Jim was greedy and was disrespecting Buffalo and Don Postles? concurring in disgust.  Funny how Jim became the champion of the city during his career and after.

I was at the last game that Jim played vs the Jaguars and seeing him carted off was a sad end for a brilliant career. Like most things in life you didn't know what you had until it was gone. 22 years?! Damn!

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I have a memory (perhaps a little fuzzy) of watching Buffalo evening news sportscast during the negotiations to get Kelly here after the USFL folded. The story that night was all about how Jim wanted Ralph to pay up if he wanted him in Buffalo. I just remember the Sportscaster implying that Jim was greedy and was disrespecting Buffalo and Don Postles? concurring in disgust.  Funny how Jim became the champion of the city during his career and after.

I was at the last game that Jim played vs the Jaguars and seeing him carted off was a sad end for a brilliant career. Like most things in life you didn't know what you had until it was gone. 22 years?! Damn!

Yup I was there as well at the Jags game...we all thought there was no way this team from Florida was coming into Rich Stadium in the cold and walking out with a victory...

Sadly we were wrong...I remember there were a few distinct plays where the stadium got so silent you could have heard a pin drop.

Can't remember what order they occurred in but one was the Natrone Means 60+ yard run, his 30 yard TD run and the other was when Kelly was lying on the field, didn't get up and then had to be carted off...

I'm not sure anyone was thinking about it being his last game at the time but I think we all knew that an end of a great era was looking us dead in the face...

After the game there wasn't any complaining about what happened or many people upset, it was almost like a funeral march oit of Rich Stadium...silent with your heads down trying to piece every thing together in your mind of what just transpired for the previous 3 hours and how we ended up losing to that upstart Jags team...

We also knew that Todd Collins was not and never would be the answer at QB.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Yup I was there as well at the Jags game...we all thought there was no way this team from Florida was coming into Rich Stadium in the cold and walking out with a victory...

Sadly we were wrong...I remember there were a few distinct plays where the stadium got so silent you could have heard a pin drop.

Can't remember what order they occurred in but one was the Natrone Means 60+ yard run, his 30 yard TD run and the other was when Kelly was lying on the field, didn't get up and then had to be carted off...

I'm not sure anyone was thinking about it being his last game at the time but I think we all knew that an end of a great era was looking us dead in the face...

After the game there wasn't any complaining about what happened or many people upset, it was almost like a funeral march oit of Rich Stadium...silent with your heads down trying to piece every thing together in your mind of what just transpired for the previous 3 hours and how we ended up losing to that upstart Jags team...

We also knew that Todd Collins was not and never would be the answer at QB.

It was 52 degrees that day & partly cloudy.  I was at the game also.  

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

Haha, well cold is a relative term I guess...I do remember it being wet, but I can't recall if it actually rained during the game

6 hours ago, Gordio said:

I remember it being unusually warm.  Two days before the game it still wasn't a sell out so I bought tickets and drove up with my ex-wife from CT.