Siberian’ stigma: How the Bills recruit free agents to Buffalo and why deep pockets don’t always help

Logic

https://theathletic.com/790400/2019/01/29/siberian-stigma-how-the-bills-recruit-free-agents-to-buffalo-and-why-deep-pockets-dont-always-help/?redirected=1

Tim Graham just posted the above article to Theathletic.com.

It discusses the difficulties in getting free agents to come to Buffalo. 

It's an all-around good article, but the nugget buried in the middle that was most interesting to me is this: 

"Mike Shanahan has stated he would’ve been the Bills’ coach if his wife hadn’t refused to come."

Maybe everyone else already knew that, but it came as news to me. Interesting "what if" to ponder.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's the same story as Marvin Lewis.

I respectfully get annoyed with those who think this is our imagination and that it is SCS (Small CIty Syndrome).

EDIT:  Thus, the true importance of having a franchise QB here...to drag others here in his wake

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I respectfully get annoyed with those who think this is our imagination and that it is SCS (Small CIty Syndrom).

EDIT:  Thus, the true importance of having a franchise QB here...to drag others in his wake.

Darius Slay plays in Detroit for heaven's sake. This franchise is at a serious disadvantage when it comes to free agency. That's why they MUST draft well.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Darius Slay plays in Detroit for heaven's sake. This franchise is at a serious disadvantage when it comes to free agency. That's why they MUST draft well.

The article also says that coaches around the league would joke that if a player wasn't working hard enough they would ship him off to Buffalo.  That was a tough soak. 

8 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I respectfully get annoyed with those who think this is our imagination and that it is SCS (Small CIty Syndrom).

EDIT:  Thus, the true importance of having a franchise QB here...to drag others in his wake.

No way is it SCS! 

I would imagine Buffalo is one of the hardest sells in the NFL for all sorts of reasons.

In fact, you can probably make a strong argument that our historic problems, at least in part, have been what they have been specifically because we are in Buffalo, NY, and not,  say, the San Fran Bay area.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Wait, you would force your wife to move to a city that she doesn't want to live in, when you can just as easily find the same job in a different city? 

I wouldn't let my wife tell me where I can and can not work. sorry, I believe in compromise but not control.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

No way is it SCS! 

I would imagine Buffalo is one of the hardest sells in the NFL for all sorts of reasons.

In fact, you can probably make a strong argument that our historic problems, at least in part, have been what they have been specifically because we are in Buffalo, NY, and not,  say, the San Fran Bay area.

But at least in Buffalo they dont have to publish maps for people to see where to avoid piles of human feces like they do in Frisco  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Hate a slap at the city, in whatever fashion. As Jerry Glanville once said, "my wife cried when i told her we were going to Buffalo , and she cried when i told her we had to leave"  

Did she cry when she found out that Elvis never picked up his tickets?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2