Greatest War Movies

The_Dude

On 1/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I haven't seen some of those mentioned but Saving Private Ryan is the best that I can remember.  I also thought American Sniper was pretty damn good.

A telling indicator about American Sniper was the absolute silence of everybody leaving the theater when it was over. NOBODY made a peep. 

I’ll throw in Midway just because I haven’t seen it mentioned yet.

Patton was cool as a kid, but Saving Private Ryan wins in my book. 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ll throw in Midway just because I haven’t seen it yet.

Battle of Midway is a must see. I wish a good movie was made about Wake Island.

Not as well respected as other great movies/series but I will still toss into the discussion Tour of Duty and Secret Army.

Also:

Combat!

The Steel Helmet 

Not for serious consideration but still entertaining series are Allo Allo! and Black Sheep Squadron.

Edited by Pilsner

2 hours ago, Pilsner said:

Battle of Midway is a must see. I wish a good movie was made about Wake Island.

That would be a tough movie. Some of the worst Japanese atrocities of the war were committed there against US POW's,  including mass execution.

There's still a lot of ordnance in the shallow waters there, clearly visible when swimming.

Pretty weird place, mostly known for this extremely high powered fan at the military food facility that activates when you open the door.

It blows down on you to keep the flies out.

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

That would be a tough movie. Some of the worst Japanese atrocities of the war were committed there against US POW's,  including mass execution.

There's still a lot of ordnance in the shallow waters there, clearly visible when swimming.

Pretty weird place, mostly known for this extremely high powered fan at the military food facility that activates when you open the door.

Yes, I agree it would be tough. But still it seems our soldiers’ story there has been neglected from a movie standpoint. They had a great stand. They could have held on a little longer but in the end they would have been overwhelmed. I’d like to visit there someday. It sounds as if you’ve been there.

47 minutes ago, Pilsner said:

Yes, I agree it would be tough. But still it seems our soldiers’ story there has been neglected from a movie standpoint. They had a great stand. They could have held on a little longer but in the end they would have been overwhelmed. I’d like to visit there someday. It sounds as if you’ve been there.

I've been there a number of times. When I was in the Navy Reserves we used to land there to refuel between Hawaii and Japan/Philippines.

It is literally just a runway island. Nothing to see or do, but check out the stuff left over from the war, and a memorial as I recall.

If you ever mention Wake to someone who has been there, they'll likely smile and immediately talk about that fan I mentioned.

A few times, when flying the 777 between Tokyo and Chicago/NY, due to very unusual winds, we would be on an extremely southern route and Wake would be our emergency divert airport for a couple hours until we got closer to the US. Very rare, but it did happen.

I always wondered what we would do with 250 people if we ever actually landed there. Luckily,  never had to.

Favorite line from "Midway":

"You better shape up, Tiger, or some hot-shot J-a-p pilot's gonna flame your ass!"

-Capt. Matt Garth, played by Charlton Heston talking to his son  

:lol:

6a00e54ee7b64288330192abc2ba27970d-500wi

Edited by Nextmanup

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anybody say:

Gallipoli

That right there is a depressing movie. A good one for sure, but what an ending.

That one made me think of The Lighthorsemen which was good, but not as depressing. Both are WW1 movies featuring Australians. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anybody say:

Gallipoli_original_Australian_poster.jpg

51S3W8BKXPL._SY445_.jpg

Every time I watch either of these movies, I get really pissed off.    I still can't believe Churchill recovered from that mess.

7 hours ago, sherpa said:

TIL!

On 1/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, Gugny said:

Good Morning Vietnam

This was loosely based on a guy from Pittsford. Really did get sent back to the states for his opening statement one morning..."Good Morning Vietnam. It's 6 AM. For all you enlisted men that's 0600. For all you officers, Mickey's big hand is on the 12, his little hand is on the 6." Pretty sure that's used somewhere in the movie but couldn't find it on youtube.

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Churchill wanted D-Day there instead of Normandy... If I remember the history correctly.

I have never heard that.   I was referring to the fact he was the main sponsor of the invasion there in WW1.  

9 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I have never heard that.   I was referring to the fact he was the main sponsor of the invasion there in WW1.  

I think he was pushing for it @ Yalta [EDIT:Oops Yalta was 1945] ... To keep the Soviets in check from the East.

Gallipoli was the first modern amphibious landing I believe.  Maybe a redo, vindication?

@DC Tom this is off of memory... I am not too far off base with Churchill pushing for another Gallipoli front to keep Soviets in check?

EDIT:  @ the Tehran Conference, 1943. My bad.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 1/24/2019 at 12:14 PM, The_Dude said:

I was watching one of my favorite war movies yesterday and I got to thinking -- what do y'all like? I base my favorites on their accuracy, not CGI budget. I will allow miniseries to make the list. Here's mine:

1. Band of Brothers
  2. Das Boot (movie I watched the other day)
  3. All Quiet on the Western Front
  4. We Were Soldiers
  5. Saving Private Ryan

the war of the roses.

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

...I am not amused. Do you know what I thought you meant?

45 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think he was pushing for it @ Yalta [EDIT:Oops Yalta was 1945] ... To keep the Soviets in check from the East.

Gallipoli was the first modern amphibious landing I believe.  Maybe a redo, vindication?

@DC Tom this is off of memory... I am not too far off base with Churchill pushing for another Gallipoli front to keep Soviets in check?

EDIT:  @ the Tehran Conference, 1943. My bad.

Just to clear up a huge misconception about Churchill — what happened at the Dardanelles was NOT his fault. 

• Like (+1) 1