Greatest War Movies

The_Dude

21 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly, no. Acting is just too weak. These movies played at the base theater every weekend I was in the Corps.

Seen most of the films listed and enjoy them all.

under the radar: Conspiracy. HBO flick on the Wannsee Conference, January ‘42. No bombs, tanks or machine guns. Just 15 high ranking Nazi’s sitting around a table, enjoying lunch and discussing implementation of the Final Solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Conspiracy-Kenneth-Branagh/dp/B00KG2QO2K

dude, that movie is intense! I could not find for the longest time, finally broke down last year and bought it. 

On 1/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, Gray Beard said:

No love for John Wayne?

Sands of Iwo Jima

Return to Bataan

They were Expendable 

Operation Pacific

Flying Leathernecks

The Wings of Eagles

And you leave out  "The Green Berets" and "The Alamo" ?

Very few movies listed here I haven't seen most I would/have watched again and again. Except "Pearl Harbor" 2001

Edited by Gary M
  • Like (+1) 2

"The Eagle Has Landed" (1976) was a film adaptation of the Jack Higgins novel; the movie stars Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland and Robert Duvall--I feel it's an underappreciated diamond in the rough. Great story, and Michael Caine delivers some memorable lines, including during this exchange at the 27.05 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oCJWwylzCQ

"Captain Clark:
'Colonel, there's no such thing as "death with honor". Just death.

Colonel Kurt Steiner:
'I have no intention of dying now. But if I'm going to, allow me to choose where and how.' "

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

17 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

dude, that movie is intense! I could not find for the longest time, finally broke down last year and bought it. 

Ditto. It Just came to Amazon Prime, but I’ve watched the dvd many times. Wifee refuses to ever watch it again.. Great acting, to say NOTHING of the content. You feel like you’re there with Heydrich and Eichman!

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/may/13/entertainment/ca-62810

Intense, indeed.

Memphis Belle, made the effort at the time to visit the real one when it was on open display.

The Lighthorsemen, Australian cavalry charge WW1, my Nana had a brother involved.

Another good Aussie one is Kokoda, set in Papua. The ***** coming through the forest at night is tense, they’re coming for the 39th Bataliion, basically young conscripts not meant for OS duties, but as Papua was an Oz protectorate... Diggers (Oz colloquial name for our soldiers) describe it as coming close to action in combat.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if has been mentioned, and it's been awhile since I've seen it, but Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen is a favorite of mine.

PS Thanks for all the choices upthread.  There are quite a few I've never seen...or even heard of. 

Edited by LabattBlue

15 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Another good Aussie one is Kokoda, set in Papua. The ***** coming through the forest at night is tense, they’re coming for the 39th Bataliion, basically young conscripts not meant for OS duties, but as Papua was an Oz protectorate... Diggers (Oz colloquial name for our soldiers) describe it as coming close to action in combat.

Never heard of that before - that's one movie that needed to be made.  Papua New Guinea was a ***** show for everyone.  

For non-Aussies: the 39th was Militia, not regular imperial forces (which were in North Africa at the time).  Young conscripts, and older part-timers...equivalent to the US National Guard.  And just the geography and climate of Papua would destroy those types of soldiers and units, never mind enemy action.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Never heard of that before - that's one movie that needed to be made.  Papua New Guinea was a ***** show for everyone.  

For non-Aussies: the 39th was Militia, not regular imperial forces (which were in North Africa at the time).  Young conscripts, and older part-timers...equivalent to the US National Guard.  And just the geography and climate of Papua would destroy those types of soldiers and units, never mind enemy action.

Oz has a few worthy movies worth seeing if you are into the cinemaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

Wake in Fright at the top of the list.

Has anyone mentioned the recent film "DUNKIRK" yet?

That was an interesting one.  I give the director credit for trying to do something unusual and artistic, but ultimately, I think it failed and it just wasn't a very good movie.

I'd be curious to hear other opinions on that one in particular.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Has anyone mentioned the recent film "DUNKIRK" yet?

That was an interesting one.  I give the director credit for trying to do something unusual and artistic, but ultimately, I think it failed and it just wasn't a very good movie.

I'd be curious to hear other opinions on that one in particular.

It was mentioned.

Nolan is a fabulous filmmaker, and he did a great job of using his artistic vision of the film to give an accurate impression of the general feeling of the event (as I understand it - I wasn't there, obviously).  I can credit it with being a good movie, but not so much a great "war movie."

Which isn't entirely fair of me, since I mentioned Lawrence of Arabia for it's lush cinematography.  So it's a double standard.  So shoot me.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

"The Eagle Has Landed" (1976) was a film adaptation of the Jack Higgins novel; the movie stars Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland and Robert Duvall--I feel it's an underappreciated diamond in the rough. Great story, and Michael Caine delivers some memorable lines, including during this exchange at the 27.05 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oCJWwylzCQ

"Captain Clark:
'Colonel, there's no such thing as "death with honor". Just death.

Colonel Kurt Steiner:
'I have no intention of dying now. But if I'm going to, allow me to choose where and how.' "

Speaking of "eagles"...You jogged my memory:

p685_v_v8_ab.jpg

Anybody mention this? ^^^^ (1968)

• Like (+1) 2