The Quarterback Shuffle 2019

57 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Because if their quarterback didn't blow, then they have a shot at competing. That is not a bad roster. They also have Marquise Lee coming back. They should not tear it down yet. But Bortles has to go one way or another. 

They don't have any money to get a QB and they only gain 4 mil in cap by dumping bortles - They're currently 7 mil over the cap in 2019 .  Jackson or dareus are both likely cut.  If they want a QB worth anything they're going to have to cut both.  And that's before drafting.  They're most likely moving on from their top 5 pick RB, and losing all the other backs , Moncrief, their starting center and guard.  They got a lot of holes and QB is only one of them.

It's not a good QB draft they are saying - so that means you can probably grab a replacement DT in the first who can step in and help right away.  But you're rebuilding the line, and depending on what you spend to get a QB, you're probably still weak at wide receiver.  

All this gets is a top heavy roster with players like Ngakoue and Ramsey who want to be paid in the top tier at their position - and like 0 depth.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

Thats why my original guess was Tyrod.  Let the chips fall and add someone at the end for less money and hopefully Smith is able to come back.

Makes sense, but Smith and Tyrod(who I still like) on one team? I hope their WR's can block.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The best part about this thread is that our Bills are not any part of the discussion. 

Yep. I am surprised DA still wants to play but the fact he does means the Bills' QB room is all but finalised. I'd expect them to bring an UDFA in after the draft for the early part of camp to give the old boy (DA) some time off a bit like the Browns did with that kid behind Tyrod, Baker and Stanton, but I think it is pretty clear the Bills want to go into 2019 with the 3 they have on the roster now. Josh to start, Matt to back up and DA to mentor. 

• Like (+1) 1

Flacco to Washington makes sense in that he wouldn't even have to sell his house to go there. They could tailor the offense more toward his skill set, and include more play action & deep shots.

I think if Eli even wants to come back, he will be encouraged to retire. I could see NYG trading for Carr.

No idea on the Raiders. Could Gruden see Bridgewater or Tannehill as a WCO fit? 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I think Tannehill and Foles probably get shots elsewhere.

No one is giving Tannehill a shot. He's a loser QB with no upside. 

Foles should stay in Philly. I don't know why he or the team would want him playing anywhere else. 

He seems like a great dude and props for him coming back from that horrible injury.  But why do people think Bridgewater is good?

5 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I love that the Bills finally, FINALLY, don't have a QB situation that needs to be resolved going into the offseason.  About time.

Eh. I hope they are still looking to upgrade the position.  We literally saw the best start in Barkley’s career. Stop settling Buffalo!

I think tyrod was exactly what the jags needed this year, a guy that won't throw pics and use his feet. Won't win games with his arm but if the defense can hold teams to feild goals then tyrod can win you games. I think the jags D is still elite but they just flat out gave up cuz the dumpster fire offense. 

I think the dolphins would be crazy to let tannehill go. Not saying he's a franchise guy but other than foles, what FA is better than tannehill? And the draft class is pretty low for QBs. This last qb class was the fins chance. I think they ride out tannehill for another year and hope for a rookie next year 

22 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

He stays on as QB3, like he is currently, imo. Who knows 

I think they wanted RGIII as an "insurance policy" that could play a Jackson-like game.

I would think, if they took on Tyrod, they would let RGIII move on along, and that RGIII would try to find another landing spot.

2 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I think tyrod was exactly what the jags needed this year, a guy that won't throw pics and use his feet. Won't win games with his arm but if the defense can hold teams to feild goals then tyrod can win you games. I think the jags D is still elite but they just flat out gave up cuz the dumpster fire offense. 

Interestingly, faced with a non-competitive offense, Captain Dareus started "phoning it it" down in Jax, just like he did with the Bills.  So much for a new leaf.

I give Bortles credit that with a stalled run game, at least he tried to use his arm to make stuff happen even if he did throw picks. 

I think if they went back to having a top rushing game, it's possible Bortles might go back to adequate passing play.

What the Jags really need is to upgrade at QB.  I'm not sure Tyrod is that upgrade. 

It is not entirely impossible Flacco might be a step up as a bridge if they draft a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I think the dolphins would be crazy to let tannehill go. Not saying he's a franchise guy but other than foles, what FA is better than tannehill? And the draft class is pretty low for QBs. This last qb class was the fins chance. I think they ride out tannehill for another year and hope for a rookie next year 

I would say the reason for getting rid of him is the same reason that teams shouldn't sign him, Flacco, Foles, etc. Paying below average to average starting QBs $20-25 million per year (in Tannehill's case, it would actually be more than that if Miami keeps him) is the worst place to be in football IMO. I'd rather sign someone cheap like Fitzpatrick and draft a rookie and pray than to invest that much of your salary cap in players that you know aren't good. If Tannehill, Foles, Flacco, etc. are your best option as a starting QB, I think you should just invest that money in other positions and go cheap at QB and hope you strike gold.

The Dolphins are probably going all in on a cap reduction tank for 19. I doubt they sign a qb people care about. Especially one that will cost anything. They will probably start some garbage backup that they already have or sign a low $ FA like Teddy Bridgewater.

Washington probably expects Smith to be back and if Gruden stays, he will probably remain in love with Colt Mccoy.

Flacco was on his was out as being a capable starter in the league anyway and will be lucky to get another starting job. He’s just not good anymore.

The Jaguars would be dumb to not draft a QB. They are already in serious cap trouble, I doubt they are going to tie up money in a guy like Flacco or Eli. Probably will draft a guy and keep Kessler in the mix.

The Giants are going to start Eli and work a rookie in. As done as Eli is, they feel like they owe him and just won’t let it end. 

I dont see these fringe starters getting nuch of a look. There are only so many jobs and very few that are open. Flacco isn’t good anymore. Eli is completely done and probably won’t be available. Bridgewater had a gift wrapped opportunity to impress and did what he does; Not make plays. Tyrod might have played himself out of another shot. Tannehill is young still and hes never really been that bad. He is the one guy I could see getting another legitimate shot. The only issue is where? Maybe if Alex Smith has to retire...maybe they would look at Tannehill. He seems like a player that wasn’t ever really given a fair shake and actually does have the tools to be good. Maybe it will take an injury but I think Tannehill gets another shot.

The most interesting guy is Foles. If he wanted it, he probably could get a starting job in several places. I think he has shown enough and proven that he has something extra that can’t be measured. The only issue is that it seems like he doesn’t have any interest in his own team. I think after last season, Foles could have forced the Eagles hand a little and cashed in off that run. It seems to me like he is content where he is. If that’s the case, it’s hard to figure him into the mix here.

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

With a handful of notable QBs likely to, or expected to, leave their team, I'm curious in opinions or thoughts on where they may end up. Considering the lack of expected potential via draft at the position, I could see teams more willing to look to free agency for a signal caller. Here are my guesses:

Flacco: Jaxonville 

Tannehill: Washington

Tyrod: Baltimore (backs up Lamar)

Manning: Retires

Bridgewater: Miami

My scenario leaves the Giants with a glaring need atvQB, where they could trade for Nick Mullens or select the highest ranked QB in the draft. 

The other interesting scenario is Foles/Wentz in Phili, but ill let that play out to make a guess as to what happens. 

Lmk if I'm missing anyone

Giants get Haskins.