Who was GM when Jason Peters was dealt?

LabattBlue

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not to rehash all this but it was never clear cut one way or the other.  The Bills gave Peters a nice contract after his first season as a RT.  He wanted big time LT money.  He held out and refused to return their phone calls and when he should up, he was completely out of shape.  The Bills finally traded him and ended up with a decent return, I believe a 1st and something else.  If the Pats did this, we would praise their culture and getting rid of me guys.  

I know it’s impossible to take the middle ground in any debate but I completely see both sides. Peters is a HOF and a freak.  The Bills signed the guy as a UDFA TE and moved him.  Peters also has had some major injuries and missed most of last year.  But yup, that deal worked out well for them.

Was my take too. Mouse was a great o-line coach and molded a freakishly heavy, but nimble UFA TE into a pro-bowl LT.

Early on it was kind of fun watching the coaches try to figure out what to do with him...used him as a wedge buster on Special Teams for a while...he was outrunning some of our linebackers.

They signed him to a 5 year deal and he basically held out the last 2 did not participate in practice, showed up out of shape and got injured right off the bat and pretty much forced their hand.

I think the Bills received 2 picks from Philly.

Not a fan...would be different if he had honored the contract he signed and then asked for more $$$.

Edited by WideNine

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Peters is a first ballot lock. 

I doubt Lynch garners any consideration at all. 

Oh he'll get A LOT of consideration.......he's iconic........one of the greatest runs in NFL history(Beast Quake)........was a huge part of the identity of the Seahawks teams that went to back-to-back SB's and the team is remembered for losing the second one because they DIDN'T give him the ball............and of course 10K+ yards on the ground ain't nothing to sneeze at for RB's who entered the NFL in the past decade.

I think it might drop the jaws of a few Bills fans to know that he and McCoy have almost identical career rushing totals.

Admittedly, going to Oakland and not carrying the ball a lot the past two years has watered down the back of his football card a bit though.   His style has naturally aged better than McCoy's though.......he's still running for 4.2 ypc and smashing people doing it.    McCoy has fallen below 4 the past two years and brings no physicality........hence the Ivory signing.  

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh he'll get A LOT of consideration.......he's iconic........one of the greatest runs in NFL history(Beast Quake)........was a huge part of the identity of the Seahawks teams that went to back-to-back SB's and the team is remembered for losing the second one because they DIDN'T give him the ball............and of course 10K+ yards on the ground ain't nothing to sneeze at for RB's who entered the NFL in the past decade.

I think it might drop the jaws of a few Bills fans to know that he and McCoy have almost identical career rushing totals.

Admittedly, going to Oakland and not carrying the ball a lot the past two years has watered down the back of his football card a bit though.   His style has naturally aged better than McCoy's though.......he's still running for 4.2 ypc and smashing people doing it.    McCoy has fallen below 4 the past two years and brings no physicality........hence the Ivory signing.  

IMHO he is not even close to a first ballot HOFer.  He may not get int he HOF.  But, first ballot, NO!

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess we'll see. But I'll be surprised if he gets much hype outside whatever local writers are on the voting committee. 

Iconic is nice, but it doesn't necessarily equate to greatness. A few big plays, as impactful as they may have been and one he didn't get a chance to make just don't move the needle that much in voter's eyes. I like his TD total as a barometer, but there are a couple with more that won't see the HOF, either. 

And regardless of the move towards more passing vs. running in the league, 12k is still the new bar. And he's not close. Yardage and TDs are where it's at for RBs. 

Peters resented getting paid ~half of what Dockery & Walker were making, and I think the Bills expected too much loyalty from him.  It's a business.  Knowing that Russ Brandon was our GM, I don't believe for a second that this was all on Peters.  Players are motivated by $ and winning, and it was clear Peters wasn't getting either of those in Buffalo.  

3 hours ago, Rico said:

B9317993548Z.1_20150723175721_000_GSCBDA

There is no better enduring image of Brandon, a.k.a. Mr. Smithers. 

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Light years better.

Let's not also forget the many more millions that Derrick Dockery was paid compared to him.:doh:

Imagine asking for a way to get more playing time, becoming a good starting RT, then getting kicked over to LT mid-season 2006, being a 2nd Team All-Pro, and finding out Derrick freaking Dockery got a huge contract. And they won't pay you at a position of more value.  

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Beef Mo is only getting into Canton if he buys a ticket like everyone else.

Peters has a good chance of making it to Canton.  And Russ Brandon?  He's unemployed now.  That's karma for you.  

• Like (+1) 1

While giving Peters his tongue bath, keep in mind he missed two season to serious injury. So the Eagles paid him a lot of money to be on IR.

Frankly I don't care one lick about Peters. It's hard for me to give a big contact to a player who behaved like he did toward the Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Manther said:

IMHO he is not even close to a first ballot HOFer.  He may not get int he HOF.  But, first ballot, NO!

Consider this though............what RB's who played the majority of their career after the huge rule emphasis changes of 2010 will make the HOF?

Adrian Peterson for sure.

After that there is Beast Mode.

There are a lot of folks here who feel like McCoy will surely make it but his rush stats are about the same as Lynch and he's of zero importance in postseason history and has abuse in his off field history.......which at least now is a big red flag.

I think all 3 make it.........won't be many RB's getting to 10K rush yards anymore.........but yeah Peterson is probably the only first ballot.

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I guess we'll see. But I'll be surprised if he gets much hype outside whatever local writers are on the voting committee. 

Iconic is nice, but it doesn't necessarily equate to greatness. A few big plays, as impactful as they may have been and one he didn't get a chance to make just don't move the needle that much in voter's eyes. I like his TD total as a barometer, but there are a couple with more that won't see the HOF, either. 

And regardless of the move towards more passing vs. running in the league, 12k is still the new bar. And he's not close. Yardage and TDs are where it's at for RBs. 

You must think McCoy has no chance then.   15 less rushing TD's than Lynch and Lynch has even been the better ball carrier late in their careers(though that isn't saying much for either, really).

Lynch was one more big season from being a lock.

I don't think 10,500 or 12,000 makes much difference now.............when Goodell instructed officials to not allow defenses to hit receivers or QB's and legislation followed the very next year 7 QB's cracked the top 25 passing yardage seasons of ALL TIME?..........that changed the game forever.

10K rushing yards in this era is a lot.........the best young RB's of today have almost no chance of getting 10K, IMO.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I wouldn’t call Langston Walker or Demeteris Bell pretty good. I remember wanting to run Peters out of town but it was all part of the losing culture that elite players didn’t want to be a part of 

Exactly. Walker and Bell were awful at LT, though Walker had been pretty good at RT.

3 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

yes, and Peters did NOT want to be here.  I think RW felt he was ungrateful and refused to even consider mollifying him.  In fairness to Ralph, Peters was being a huge deuche about it.  In fairness to Peters, we were not paying him what we had made him worth.

This was another of the myths floating around, that he didn't want to be here. Which was nothing but sour grapes.

He wanted his $10 mill a year, is what he wanted. He actually made it quite clear in his arrival speech in Philly that he had expected to spend his career in Buffalo and that he was totally shocked to be traded. "It blew my mind" was one of the things he said.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Don't we just blame Doug Whaley for everything?

No now we blame Beane for everything or you have the others who give Beane credit for Whaleys last draft.  Apparently he ran our draft from the Panthers War Room.

Uhoh I offended rico.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You must think McCoy has no chance then.   15 less rushing TD's than Lynch and Lynch has even been the better ball carrier late in their careers(though that isn't saying much for either, really).

I don't think 10,500 or 12,000 makes much difference now.............when Goodell instructed officials to not allow defenses to hit receivers or QB's and legislation followed the very next year 7 QB's cracked the top 25 passing yardage seasons of ALL TIME?..........that changed the game forever.

10K rushing yards in this era is a lot.........the best young RB's of today have almost no chance of getting 10K, IMO.

If he can get to 12k, I think McCoy has a better chance than Lynch  to garner some hype, but I don't think he'll get in, either. 

We will have to agree to disagree on the 12k bar for running backs. 

4 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Between Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch, how many other future hall of famers did that regime give away?

Marshawn Lynch isn't going to be in the Hall of Fame... that's a joke. Ottis Anderson and LeSean McCoy should be then.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I still believe the Bills completely mishandled the entire Peters affair.  It’s easy to say from my position but the Bills let a once in a generation talent slip away from them.  It was sheer stupidity.

I tend to agree and while Eric Wood is a nice player, he is nowhere near the player Peters has been for nearly 2 decades.

There’s no hindsight here - this was a very bad decision that came back to hurt the Bills for years.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shady has more rushing yards and nearly 2,000 more receiving yards in 2 fewer seasons.

2 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The Bills signed a fat tight end then helped him become a great offensive tackle. They then gave him a significant pay raise.  Peters paid them back by holding out most of a season then playing awful for a couple of games forcing the bills to trade him.  

Who made Jason Peters great? Mularkey, Jauron? Any guesses?  As good as Mouse McNally was, Peters was a rare physical specimen (who ran a sub 5.0 40 at the combine weighing 330 pounds).  He earned the accolades he received.  And, in careers that often last under 4 years, he wanted to get paid after being among the league's best at perhaps the most difficult position to play next to QB.  

Buffalo gave him a raise in 2005 to play RT and he excelled.  He moved to LT in mid-season 2006 and was pretty much dominant (or "dominate" for some fans). 

You don't get selected to 9 Pro Bowls, voted 1st Team All-Pro 2 times, and 2nd Team All-Pro 4 other times unless you're talented.  So talented in fact, that Philadelphia immediately gave him a 6 year 60m contract after the trade. Then later signed him to another 50M+ deal.    

Buffalo was too cheap to pay elite talent and that's why they traded him.  Thank goodness this organization isn't run as poorly as it was a decade ago. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No now we blame Beane for everything or you have the others who give Beane credit for Whaleys last draft.  Apparently he ran our draft from the Panthers War Room.

Uhoh I offended rico.

It's very true that we shouldn't give credit to Beane for McDermott's draft of 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

Russ Brandon got up in front of the media on the eve of Training Camp in 2009 and said he hadn’t spoken to Peters since January. 

Traded an All-Pro LT because you didn’t want to pay him $10MM a year. 

He got to the Eagles and they had a contract in place the same day. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck