Ben to restructure...

Hebert19

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm 100% sure Kraft is paying Brady under the table. Ben knows he only has a few years left, I was actually expecting him to lower that cap number.

It's not even under the table. He is an investor in TB12.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, I used to blame NO fate on Brees big fat contract.  Brees demanded the big bucks, and now the Saints will suck, I said.

Last two years kinda make it look as though maybe other personnel choices were the problem there.

They even righted the ship without firing a GM, coach, OC, or DC.  Well, OK, DC if you count Rob in 2015.

Just maybe, the Packers Atlanta and Lions are mediocre because of the rest of their personnel and coaching choices

Maybe they too could go from several years of mediocrity to back-to-back playoff contention by making different choices

Personally I'm not sure restructuring Big Ben is the Steelers' right way to go, but if he and AB can't stay in the same locker room something's gotta give

(btw, Linky?)

Brees is a weird case. He’s basically working on a series of 1 or 2 year deals that are almost entirely gauranteed.

Brees will also account for AT LEAST 10 mil against the cap the year after he retires. It was in his last contract, it just keeps getting pushed back.

So anytime you see Brees getting reported at 25 mil-ish, remember, he has 10 mil sitting in the bank for him the year after he retires.

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

i think you have me confused with boyst

Thought maybe you were Reino. An old friend from West Seneca and a die hard Steelers fan. And also thought Stallone should have won the Oscar for 1st Blood.

3 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

Thought maybe you were Reino. An old friend from West Seneca and a die hard Steelers fan. And also thought Stallone should have won the Oscar for 1st Blood.

no problem.  i had to google 'reino' and urban dictionary came up with the following:

Something or someone with that is square shaped. Usually the head. It smells kinda funny and lives next to a farm. It is also slightly socially awkward.

hence my assumption that you had me confused with boyst

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Brees is a weird case. He’s basically working on a series of 1 or 2 year deals that are almost entirely gauranteed.

Brees will also account for AT LEAST 10 mil against the cap the year after he retires. It was in his last contract, it just keeps getting pushed back.

So anytime you see Brees getting reported at 25 mil-ish, remember, he has 10 mil sitting in the bank for him the year after he retires.

I think if you have Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or even Big Ben you don't concern yourself with how much you are paying them. For Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford or even more pointedly Derek Carr...... well then it is far more of an issue. 

EDIT: Dallas is about to have a very interesting decision to make on Dak. He is likely to win a playoff game the way this is going.... his W-L record is impressive and his leadership skills are an asset... but is he a QB you should really pay big $$s to? 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I agree with the parallel between the Saints and Steelers I think the slight difference is when the Saints embarked on their mini rebuild Brees was "all in" on still being around. I think you are right about the Falcons as well - Ryan is all in and still has window left so if you think Julio's demands leave insufficient $$s to rebuild you trade him (to the Buffalo Bills would be nice ?) especially with Ridley already in the building. 

Where it falls down with the Steelers is Ben. He has publicly flirted with retirement for three consecutive offseasons now. So if they lose Bell, trade AB, lose a couple of other pieces in FA (Ramon Foster for example) and then go say 6-10 how confident am I that Ben doesn't throw his toys out of the pram and retire at the end of 2019? Because if I am in the position of having to move on to Mason Rudolph or a rookie Quarterback they might draft in 2020 I would probably like to give that guy a couple of years of AB and JuJu while he finds his feet. 

I am not saying I rule out trading AB.... I just think how much I really believe Ben's heart is in playing for the long term factors heavily in my decision making before I do it. 

Yeah Big Ben is really the heart of the problem.

Too good to count on replacing...........but not committed enough to be comfortable with.

I don't think he has any real intention of walking away for a couple seasons at least........it's so much easier to play the position now his OL is good and the money is easy and he basically gets to lead whichever way he sees fit........it's a sweetheart deal............but either way sooner than later his lack of elite conditioning is going to make the decision for him.

I just don't think there is much choice.........AB gotta' go or it's gonna' blow.

Personally I hope they keep him...........if it stays chaotic there it's better for the Bills in the short term.............and I don't really want AB anyway...........Julio, yes.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think if you have Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or even Big Ben you don't concern yourself with how much you are paying them. For Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford or even more pointedly Derek Carr...... well then it is far more of an issue. 

EDIT: Dallas is about to have a very interesting decision to make on Dak. He is likely to win a playoff game the way this is going.... his W-L record is impressive and his leadership skills are an asset... but is he a QB you should really pay big $$s to? 

And he just threw an INT in the end zone. Haha. 

I agree with you fully. 

Poor timing on the post. 

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Big Ben is really the heart of the problem.

Too good to count on replacing...........but not committed enough to be comfortable with.

I don't think he has any real intention of walking away for a couple seasons at least........it's so much easier to play the position now his OL is good and the money is easy and he basically gets to lead whichever way he sees fit........it's a sweetheart deal............but either way sooner than later his lack of elite conditioning is going to make the decision for him.

I just don't think there is much choice.........AB gotta' go or it's gonna' blow.

Personally I hope they keep him...........if it stays chaotic there it's better for the Bills in the short term.............and I don't really want AB anyway...........Julio, yes.  

I can see Ben doing a Favre and retiring then getting late into the summer and trying to unretire (not this year but maybe next).

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

And he just threw an INT in the end zone. Haha. 

I agree with you fully. 

Poor timing on the post. 

Still think Dallas win. Seattle can't move the ball. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dak's another Flacco.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, I used to blame NO fate on Brees big fat contract.  Brees demanded the big bucks, and now the Saints will suck, I said.

Last two years kinda make it look as though maybe other personnel choices were the problem there.

They even righted the ship without firing a GM, coach, OC, or DC.  Well, OK, DC if you count Rob in 2015.

Just maybe, the Packers Atlanta and Lions are mediocre because of the rest of their personnel and coaching choices

Maybe they too could go from several years of mediocrity to back-to-back playoff contention by making different choices

Personally I'm not sure restructuring Big Ben is the Steelers' right way to go, but if he and AB can't stay in the same locker room something's gotta give

(btw, Linky?)

Yeah you're 100% right. Just cause a QB is making that type of money it doesn't mean the team will suck. It does mean however , that they don't have as much flexibility in the draft and FA  . Have to be smarter and more efficient with their spending. N.O has had a couple really good drafts and that's a huge reason why they have a bye this weekend

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

It's not even under the table. He is an investor in TB12.

What a corrupt organization from top to bottom. At least with the steroid era you knew everyone was using. I get the feeling within the next 10 years something very big will be leaked to the media stripping the Pats of all their fake trophies.

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Well said

For all the warts and dirty laundry that popped up this year, the Rooney's run one of the best organizations in professional sports.  One that the Pegala's would be wise to study

Enters the room and quietly whispers into Slash’s ear...”Wasn’t that why Whaley was brought in?”

Didn’t Big Ben publicly contemplate retirement after they got kicked out of the Playoffs last year? 

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Squealers are on a downward spiral since 2009 SB with the diva triplets ala Ben, Antonio and Bell adding to the intrigue.....Tomlin talks tough but has no control over this zoo.....

This !

9 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

What a corrupt organization from top to bottom. At least with the steroid era you knew everyone was using. I get the feeling within the next 10 years something very big will be leaked to the media stripping the Pats of all their fake trophies.

People always laud Brady for taking less money and being a team player. I'm not sure how everyone just overlooks TB12 which is in the stadium, gets sent Patriots players, has the other owner fly on the team jet, and gets paid by the Patriots. On top of that the other owner is a fraud who has been sanctioned by the FTC. Every team should follow suit and just have their Star players make small businesses and sign them to contracts with the team.

• Like (+1) 1

He's doing it wrong.

He's supposed to hold out so everyone can comment on "it's a business and he's just gettin' his". Then he's supposed to go on social media and horribly misspell thousands of lines of tweets/snaps/etc explaining what a hero and pioneer he is if for all of his NFL colleagues...

• Haha (+1) 1