Ben to restructure...

Hebert19

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, I used to blame NO fate on Brees big fat contract.  Brees demanded the big bucks, and now the Saints will suck, I said.

Last two years kinda make it look as though maybe other personnel choices were the problem there.

They even righted the ship without firing a GM, coach, OC, or DC.  Well, OK, DC if you count Rob in 2015.

Just maybe, the Packers Atlanta and Lions are mediocre because of the rest of their personnel and coaching choices

Maybe they too could go from several years of mediocrity to back-to-back playoff contention by making different choices

Personally I'm not sure restructuring Big Ben is the Steelers' right way to go, but if he and AB can't stay in the same locker room something's gotta give

(btw, Linky?)

Yea, I mean it could’ve been Brees getting 2-3m more than a team friendly deal, or it could’ve been the league leading dead money from signing and then cutting/trading big deals with galette, Graham, etc... 

i tend to believe the 40m a year for players not on the roster was worse than the extra 3m for a HOF qb contract 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

Yeah that is some downward spiral, they replaced a guy that was supposed to be irreplaceable in Le'veon Bell with James Connor, they have JuJu Smith Schuster in place to replace Brown down the road (His contract even with bens restructure makes it unlikely for him to be traded or cut), you also have the recently drafted James Washington who i think will be real good down the road and QB Mason Rudolph is getting learning experience from a future HOF QB in Ben Roethlisberger, I mean the machine will keep churning in Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

This stuff is why the Patriots and Steelers have been able to stay on top.  Ben was already making less than a bunch of QBs now he's going to restructure and extend and take even less likely from a cap perspective.   For a team too have longevity in the league now this is what has to happen.  

Rodgers and ryan and Stafford making 30M means the team will suck.  

Hopefully if they really want to keep McCoy he will do the same.  2 years at less money and we save the cap.  

This is one reason I like McDermott team guys as I think they would do the same. 

I'm 100% sure Kraft is paying Brady under the table. Ben knows he only has a few years left, I was actually expecting him to lower that cap number.

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Yeah that is some downward spiral, they replaced a guy that was supposed to be irreplaceable in Le'veon Bell with James Connor, they have JuJu Smith Schuster in place to replace Brown down the road (His contract even with bens restructure makes it unlikely for him to be traded or cut), you also have the recently drafted James Washington who i think will be real good down the road and QB Mason Rudolph is getting learning experience from a future HOF QB in Ben Roethlisberger, I mean the machine will keep churning in Pittsburgh.

Well said

For all the warts and dirty laundry that popped up this year, the Rooney's run one of the best organizations in professional sports.  One that the Pegala's would be wise to study

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, a restructure is helpful but it’s not a give up by the player. Just money now vs money later, which is better for the player anyway. All that matters is the % of cap dedicated to the position, not the $$ amount. NE deal with Brady is a different animal altogether and kinda shady. This stuff helps, but it’s not the reason for consistent success. 

We need our QB to marry a supermodel that makes 5 times what he does a year so he can just take less and help the team...

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We need our QB to marry a supermodel that makes 5 times what he does a year so he can just take less and help the team...

Right ...and while he’s at it , do a side business deal with T Pegs that will funnel extra $$ to him off the team books .Helps keep the cap hit down !

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Right ...and while he’s at it , do a side business deal with T Pegs that will funnel extra $$ to him off the team books .Helps keep the cap hit down !

you make an intriguing accusation.  but do you have evidence to back it up?

Just now, /dev/null said:

you make an intriguing accusation.  but do you have evidence to back it up?

Many things are generally known while the evidence is kept carefully suppressed . Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves, especially in the area of business deals and governments. 

Many things are generally known while the evidence is kept carefully suppressed . Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves, especially in the area of business deals and governments. 

So no, you don't actually have any evidence that Kraft is paying Brady under the table

So no, you don't actually have any evidence that Kraft is paying Brady under the table

Hmmmm .. closet Patriots fan ? I suppose the officials just mistakenly miss all the holds by their offense as well ?  Again many things are known but evidence kept hidden by those in power. It’s how the world works. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Hmmmm .. closet Patriots fan ? I suppose the officials just mistakenly miss all the holds by their offense as well ?  Again many things are known but evidence kept hidden by those in power. It’s how the world works. 

I doubt anyone outside the Boston area would dispute that the Patriots* are the beneficiary of favorable officiating, and even many Patriots* fans will admit it.

But that's not what we were talking about.  You levied a claim that the Patriots organization is paying a player under the table.  When pressed for evidence your response is that it's common knowledge.  If it were common knowledge, upon what evidence is it based?

I doubt anyone outside the Boston area would dispute that the Patriots* are the beneficiary of favorable officiating, and even many Patriots* fans will admit it.

But that's not what we were talking about.  You levied a claim that the Patriots organization is paying a player under the table.  When pressed for evidence your response is that it's common knowledge.  If it were common knowledge, upon what evidence is it based?

I won’t convince you and you won’t convince me. Believe everything is on the up and up if you wish, you’re entitled to that opinion. Enjoy the playoffs ! Still exciting even without the Bills, though I’d love to see them back sooner than later. 

I won’t convince you and you won’t convince me. Believe everything is on the up and up if you wish, you’re entitled to that opinion. Enjoy the playoffs ! Still exciting even without the Bills, though I’d love to see them back sooner than later. 

Agreed on both points.

You wont convince me because you have no evidence, and I won't convince you because you had already come the conclusion that you want to believe.

And even without the Bills in the playoffs, I'm still looking forward to watching :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. I think Tomlin is one of the most overrated coaches. He's more of a cheerleader than anything.  I'd like to see what he does when Big Ben retires. 

Tomlin's greatest asset early in his HC career (trusting his players ans being loose) is also his greatest deficiency later in his reign where the locker room has got totally out of control. The Big Ben radio slot would be the first thing to go if I was the HC. Seems to do nothing but stir up more drama. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm 100% sure Kraft is paying Brady under the table. Ben knows he only has a few years left, I was actually expecting him to lower that cap number.

...all while Kraft is sitting with his pants bunched around his ankles.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, I used to blame NO fate on Brees big fat contract.  Brees demanded the big bucks, and now the Saints will suck, I said.

Last two years kinda make it look as though maybe other personnel choices were the problem there.

They even righted the ship without firing a GM, coach, OC, or DC.  Well, OK, DC if you count Rob in 2015.

Just maybe, the Packers Atlanta and Lions are mediocre because of the rest of their personnel and coaching choices

Maybe they too could go from several years of mediocrity to back-to-back playoff contention by making different choices

Personally I'm not sure restructuring Big Ben is the Steelers' right way to go, but if he and AB can't stay in the same locker room something's gotta give

(btw, Linky?)

Yeah we had this discussion regarding Julio.

I think they should trade him rather than give him the gobs of new money he is demanding.

Not because Julio isn't one of the very best players in the NFL...........he is awesome...........but the Brees model is that a super savvy veteran QB doesn't need as much "great" receiving talent.    No Jimmy Graham and no Brandin Cooks........no problem.   Brees has a stud and a bunch of cheap solid targets and he's money.

Those who do need great playmakers are the inefficient but dynamic young QB's around the league like Josh Allen.

I ABSOLUTELY think the Steelers should trade AB...........Big Ben is what he is and they can't afford to re-start at QB.........AB is on another level than Ben as a player and worker and they probably can't co-exist there any longer.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Agreed on both points.

You wont convince me because you have no evidence, and I won't convince you because you had already come the conclusion that you want to believe.

And even without the Bills in the playoffs, I'm still looking forward to watching :thumbsup:

Who are you? 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah we had this discussion regarding Julio.

I think they should trade him rather than give him the gobs of new money he is demanding.

Not because Julio isn't one of the very best players in the NFL...........he is awesome...........but the Brees model is that a super savvy veteran QB doesn't need as much "great" receiving talent.    No Jimmy Graham and no Brandin Cooks........no problem.   Brees has a stud and a bunch of cheap solid targets and he's money.

Those who do need great playmakers are the inefficient but dynamic young QB's around the league like Josh Allen.

I ABSOLUTELY think the Steelers should trade AB...........Big Ben is what he is and they can't afford to re-start at QB.........AB is on another level than Ben as a player and worker and they probably can't co-exist there any longer.

While I agree with the parallel between the Saints and Steelers I think the slight difference is when the Saints embarked on their mini rebuild Brees was "all in" on still being around. I think you are right about the Falcons as well - Ryan is all in and still has window left so if you think Julio's demands leave insufficient $$s to rebuild you trade him (to the Buffalo Bills would be nice ?) especially with Ridley already in the building. 

Where it falls down with the Steelers is Ben. He has publicly flirted with retirement for three consecutive offseasons now. So if they lose Bell, trade AB, lose a couple of other pieces in FA (Ramon Foster for example) and then go say 6-10 how confident am I that Ben doesn't throw his toys out of the pram and retire at the end of 2019? Because if I am in the position of having to move on to Mason Rudolph or a rookie Quarterback they might draft in 2020 I would probably like to give that guy a couple of years of AB and JuJu while he finds his feet. 

I am not saying I rule out trading AB.... I just think how much I really believe Ben's heart is in playing for the long term factors heavily in my decision making before I do it.