Ben to restructure...

Hebert19

This stuff is why the Patriots and Steelers have been able to stay on top.  Ben was already making less than a bunch of QBs now he's going to restructure and extend and take even less likely from a cap perspective.   For a team too have longevity in the league now this is what has to happen.  

Rodgers and ryan and Stafford making 30M means the team will suck.  

Hopefully if they really want to keep McCoy he will do the same.  2 years at less money and we save the cap.  

This is one reason I like McDermott team guys as I think they would do the same. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

This stuff is why the Patriots and Steelers have been able to stay on top.  Ben was already making less than a bunch of QBs now he's going to restructure and extend and take even less likely from a cap perspective.   For a team too have longevity in the league now this is what has to happen.  

Hopefully if they really want to keep McCoy he will do the same.  2 years at less money and we save the cap.  

This is one reason I like McDermott team guys as I think they would do the same. 

You know, I used to blame NO fate on Brees big fat contract.  Brees demanded the big bucks, and now the Saints will suck, I said.

Last two years kinda make it look as though maybe other personnel choices were the problem there.

They even righted the ship without firing a GM, coach, OC, or DC.  Well, OK, DC if you count Rob in 2015.

Just maybe, the Packers Atlanta and Lions are mediocre because of the rest of their personnel and coaching choices

Maybe they too could go from several years of mediocrity to back-to-back playoff contention by making different choices

Personally I'm not sure restructuring Big Ben is the Steelers' right way to go, but if he and AB can't stay in the same locker room something's gotta give

(btw, Linky?)

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, I used to blame NO fate on Brees big fat contract.  Brees demanded the big bucks, and now the Saints will suck, I said.

Last two years kinda make it look as though maybe other personnel choices were the problem there.

They even righted the ship without firing a GM, coach, OC, or DC.  Well, OK, DC if you count Rob in 2015.

Just maybe, the Packers Atlanta and Lions are mediocre because of the rest of their personnel and coaching choices

Maybe they too could go from several years of mediocrity to back-to-back playoff contention by making different choices

Personally I'm not sure restructuring Big Ben is the Steelers' right way to go, but if he and AB can't stay in the same locker room something's gotta give

(btw, Linky?)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/05/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-contract-restructure-antonio-brown

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Yeah, a restructure is helpful but it’s not a give up by the player. Just money now vs money later, which is better for the player anyway. All that matters is the % of cap dedicated to the position, not the $$ amount. NE deal with Brady is a different animal altogether and kinda shady. This stuff helps, but it’s not the reason for consistent success. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

(btw, Linky?)

It's a combination of the two.

Anytime a top QB is willing to take a pay cut, it gives flexibility to the front office with the salary cap.

But regardless of how much money you have - a team will not have long-term success without smart decisions and good drafting.

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Squealers are on a downward spiral since 2009 SB with the diva triplets ala Ben, Antonio and Bell adding to the intrigue.....Tomlin talks tough but has no control over this zoo.....

Agreed. I think Tomlin is one of the most overrated coaches. He's more of a cheerleader than anything.  I'd like to see what he does when Big Ben retires. 

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. I think Tomlin is one of the most overrated coaches. He's more of a cheerleader than anything.  I'd like to see what he does when Big Ben retires. 

...BUT...he has a certain level of protectionism in an organization that has had THREE HC's in 48+ years....firing a HC in Steelers lore would be blasphemy...........

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

i know right, 2 wild cards, 4 division titles, and an AFC title.   i wish the bills could be that mediocre

...so how far can we go back on laurels?....'64/'65 championships?...4 SB appearances (yup ALL losses) in the 90's?....maybe even Chuck Noll times?.....guess Ben gets a pass because of 2009 SB...SMH...would that be 8 years stale?...just askin'.................

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so how far can we go back on laurels?....'64/'65 championships?...4 SB appearances (yup ALL losses) in the 90's?....maybe even Chuck Noll times?.....guess Ben gets a pass because of 2009 SB...SMH...would that be 8 years stale?...just askin'.................

you set the date at 2009.  i was just pointing out that downward spiral has been one helluva ride

Just now, /dev/null said:

you set the date at 2009.  i was just pointing out that downward spiral has been one helluva ride

...cannot argue that...but their previous dominance lore has hit speed bumps when it doesn't make sense personnel wise...sure we expect their competition to close the gap as others hope to become competitive with them....but do you see the current distractions being outside the organization's long standing stability?......

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It's a combination of the two.

Anytime a top QB is willing to take a pay cut, it gives flexibility to the front office with the salary cap.

But regardless of how much money you have - a team will not have long-term success without smart decisions and good drafting.

Normally, restructuring isn’t a pay cut

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

but do you see the current distractions being outside the organization's long standing stability?......

i see it and totally agree with you.  Except you pegged the wrong year.  The correct answer is 2015 when they fired Dick LeBeau

Tomlin is a players coach and an administrator.  LeBeau was the stabilizing factor and when he left that left Tomlin and Todd Haley running the show.  Haley has always been a sh*tstorm of a coach and was sacrificed after the 2017 meltdown against the Jaguars.

Edited by /dev/null