Stephon Gilmore - first team AP All-Pro

Are we criticizing McDermott for his secondary choices now? I will always trust him on that group. Good for Gilmore, he is having the best year of his career so far after arguably the worst of his career last year. But I'm much happier with the value of our group and his contract wouldn't put us any closer to a Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Partly, but mostly the answer is because Rex has an 80-page playbook with 12 plays per page, each of which has between 4 and 6 different variations that can all be checked to, so you might have a play call set, but then the alignment of the TE changes it, so you have to check, but then the same TE goes in motion and the play changes again, so you need to check that too.  It was lunacy.

And because Rob is a clown? He has been great on British tv though Rob. Entertaining, engaging, can explain complicated things dummed down knowing a lot of the audience doesn't get all the terminology and unlike Rex who I have always thought gets passive aggressive in defence of himself when questioned Rob is quite self depricating. 

He did 4 weeks last year was supposed to do 4 this year stayed all year, except the last two weeks when I presume he had family things for the holidays. They love him. 

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

You know my opinion on Turner.  Not impressed.  Try harder

Butler is not a bad corner though.  I can agree Gilmore is better

I don't really care if you're impressed by Turner or not.  This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of looking at the numbers and comparing them to his peers.

The article linked in the post states the statistics clear as day.  If you want to argue that he didn't play well in 2016, perhaps bringing some type of context aside from "it's my opinion so just deal with it" will carry more weight?

What you're saying is akin to me posting Patrick Mahomes' stats from ESPN as evidence that he's an MVP candidate, and you telling me "I'm not impressed by ESPN".  The numbers are the numbers, and they don't really care about people's feelings.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Are we criticizing McDermott for his secondary choices now? I will always trust him on that group. Good for Gilmore, he is having the best year of his career so far after arguably the worst of his career last year. But I'm much happier with the value of our group and his contract wouldn't put us any closer to a Super Bowl.

Eh? Where did you get that from? This thread ia mainly saying Gilmore is good, always has been good and was under appreciated by Bills fans while he was here. 

I think everyone understands why he was let go in the circumstances. Not least because you don't pay a guy who is much better in man massive money to play in a zone scheme and that is before you get to the salary cap situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm unsure of your point. Making the AP All Pro first team is a big effing deal. What has Preston Brown done of note? As for myself, I pay close attention to Bills' draftees who leave the fold. Most here do, in fact. 

You've ended up with a good discussion going here, so I suppose I misread the situation. What I saw initially was a poster who has been very favorable towards a division rival and their dominance creating a topic about info that was already being discussed in a topic created an hour earlier, but with a former player that many posters disliked mentioned in the title (as opposed to in the OP like @Virgil did) in an effort to create a more inflammatory response.

Maybe I was wrong. Either way, I'm bowing out here as I truly do not care about the Pats* media accolades.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You've ended up with a good discussion going here, so I suppose I misread the situation. What I saw initially was a poster who has been very favorable towards a division rival and their dominance creating a topic about info that was already being discussed in a topic created an hour earlier, but with a former player that many posters disliked mentioned in the title (as opposed to in the OP like @Virgil did) in an effort to create a more inflammatory response.

Maybe I was wrong. Either way, I'm bowing out here as I truly do not care about the Pats* media accolades.

You were wrong, but that's OK. I was completely unaware of Virgil's thread when I began this and actually came across the news about the All-Pro team outside of this board. I was less interested in what Virgil was interested in (the lack of Bills) anyway than in who actually made it.

Edited by dave mcbride

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't really care if you're impressed by Turner or not.  This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of looking at the numbers and comparing them to his peers.

The article linked in the post states the statistics clear as day.  If you want to argue that he didn't play well in 2016, perhaps bringing some type of context aside from "it's my opinion so just deal with it" will carry more weight?

What you're saying is akin to me posting Patrick Mahomes' stats from ESPN as evidence that he's an MVP candidate, and you telling me "I'm not impressed by ESPN".  The numbers are the numbers, and they don't really care about people's feelings.

Compare the resumes between some of the analysts on ESPN and then compare Turner’s.

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Compare the resumes between some of the analysts on ESPN and then compare Turner’s.

Oh. My. Word.

The important part of the article is not Turner's analysis; it's the link to the raw data.  The post I linked to has the raw data for the "top 10" corners in 2016.  Read the data, draw your own conclusion that goes beyond the "I don't like him" test.

I have to believe you're messing with me here, because the other possibility is frightening.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He isn’t aware.  Do you know what Flat-Earthers do when they’re presented with objective, measurable evidence that the Earth is round?  They ignore it.  It’s a symptom of our times...

Quick google proves you wrong:

Jeffery pulled down a diving catch in the second quarter that Foles threaded between safety Patrick Chung and Gilmore, the Patriots’ corner who played three seasons with Jeffery with the Gamecocks after coming to Columbia as part of a program-changing recruiting class under Steve Spurrier.

Yeah, I’m sure it wasn’t Gilmore’s fault Eagles ran at 6.1 yards a clip either. He’s the same player he was in Buffalo, except they ignore his defensive holding in New England. He is a hack in coverage, blames everyone else when he gets burned, and is putrid against the run.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Did you just call me fat?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Jeffery pulled down a diving catch in the second quarter that Foles threaded between safety Patrick Chung and Gilmore, the Patriots’ corner who played three seasons with Jeffery with the Gamecocks after coming to Columbia as part of a program-changing recruiting class under Steve Spurrier.

Yeah, I’m sure it wasn’t Gilmore’s fault Eagles ran at 6.1 yards a clip either. He’s the same player he was in Buffalo, except they ignore his defensive holding in New England. He is a hack in coverage, blames everyone else when he gets burned, and is putrid against the run.

Coach is big on rewriting history

10 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

??

Gilmore wasn't necessarily the main guy on that play (I read the piece you got the info from too in the Charlotte Observer). https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/05/these-stats-from-super-bowl-lii-show-impact-of-malcolm-butlers-benching/ 

Gilmore officially gave up one completion in five attempts for 7 yards; he also had two pass breakups. And to reiterate, NE probably isn't even in that game if not for the great play he made at the end of the Jax game. 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

^^^

^^^

^^^

^^^

The dishonor roll of embittered Bills fans hating on ex-Bills who wanted to play on winning teams or wanted to be paid market value for their skills surfaces every time such a player does well on his new team.  Maybe you fools should focus your bitterness on the Bills ownership, front office, and coaching staff who keep letting talented players leave while fielding a roster filled with non-NFL caliber players in the name of some cliche like "it all about the process" when it's really all about how big a profit the billionaire owner rakes in.

Who's better?

It's not Tre's "persona".  It's that White plays for the Bills currently and Gilmore no longer does.  When the Bills decline to re-sign White and he moves on (as they've done for all their top corners over the years), the same cretins will surface with the same hatred for him as they now have for Gilmore. 

just ftr. I didn't give two ***** about gilmore when he was a bill anymore then I give two ***** about him now.

your take there, is freezing cold mac.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I don’t know if it was insane.  There were several games - in particular in 2015 - where he was beat by middling recievers.  He was above average most of the time but he had his moments, not unlike Tre White for a few weeks this season 

Every CB will get beat, at some point, and not all of the WRs will be household names.  Those WRs are NFL players who are also getting paid.  Of course they are capable of winning some plays.

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep. That's exactly as I see it. People have a hard time accepting that the Bills could have made a wise decision to let him walk AND Gilmore is among the best corners in football. It's not an either or proposition. 

Absolutely zero complaints with this regime's ability to evaluate and acquire cornerbacks.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yep. That's exactly as I see it. People have a hard time accepting that the Bills could have made a wise decision to let him walk AND Gilmore is among the best corners in football. It's not an either or proposition. 

Absolutely zero complaints with this regime's ability to evaluate and acquire cornerbacks.

I agree completely. The Bills have a good secondary, obviously. But Gilmore is very good too. 

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

just ftr. I didn't give two ***** about gilmore when he was a bill anymore then I give two ***** about him now.

your take there, is freezing cold mac.

Really? For a guy that's been a fan since 73, it's hard to believe you don't remember how quickly our fans changed their tune about Antoine Winfield when he went to Minnesota. He went from gritty and great to small and stone hands.

• Like (+1) 2