Stephon Gilmore - first team AP All-Pro

He was always a very good corner. He had a rough stretch of 5 games his final year some of which was on him but a lot of which was on breakdowns in Rex's laughable scheme. He wad bordering top 10 when he was here, he had a slow first month in New England and has been all but elite ever since. 

Bills fans never warmed to him. I have always believed it was the draft day thing. But he was one of the best players on the team throughout his time here. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Here what Rex said, and this basically confirms MY opinion.  It goes back to what I originally had said - Gilmore was beat more in 2016 than you would expect from a CB of his caliber.  Like I said. Smoking guy. Try harder.

Even more eye-opening was that coach Ryan confirmed that Stephon blew the coverage.

“Stephon Gilmore needs to get back to where he was in training camp. It hasn’t been all bad, but clearly had some struggles.”

Yes I played high school football there. And I also blog. That’s how I know Stephon Gilmore has a stellar year in 2016.  He never got beat.  It was always someone else’s fault.

Actually, you need to re-read that...

The coverage was supposed to change from Cover 2 to Cover 4, but Gilmore/Meeks side of the field missed the check.

Neither player got the call, so they were still in Cover 2 (effectively making the coverage a Cover 6 I suppose), which means that he should've had help from Meeks.

Rex said that the check never happened (big surprise, how many missed checks happened on a play-by-play basis with his over-complicated crap?), which is what he criticized Gilmore for...but Gilmore wasn't wrong.  He should've had deep help.

I mean, Cover 2 or Cover 4, what in the world was Meeks doing jumping up on Gronk, who is already bracketed by a double?

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was always a very good corner. He had a rough stretch of 5 games his final year some of which was on him but a lot of which was on breakdowns in Rex's laughable scheme. He wad bordering top 10 when he was here, he had a slow first month in New England and has been all but elite ever since. 

Bills fans never warmed to him. I have always believed it was the draft day thing. But he was one of the best players on the team throughout his time here. 

Also did not have a great rookie year, but I can agree with the rest.  

What's really stupid about the All-Pro list is that five guys make the All-Pro team at multiple positions. 

Here are the players on the team twice
Derwin James: First Team Safety, Second Team Defensive Back
Desmond King: First Team Defensive Back, second team punter returner
Tyreek Hill: First Team Flex, Second Team WR
J.J. Watt: First Team Edge Defender, Second Team Interior Lineman
Von Miller: Second Team Edge Rusher and Linebacker

That is just plain dumb.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The coverage was supposed to change from Cover 2 to Cover 4, but Gilmore/Meeks side of the field missed the check.

Neither player got the call, so they were still in Cover 2 (effectively making the coverage a Cover 6 I suppose), which means that he should've had help from Meeks.

Rex said that the check never happened (big surprise, how many missed checks happened on a play-by-play basis with his over-complicated crap?), which is what he criticized Gilmore for...but Gilmore wasn't wrong.  He should've had deep help.

I mean, Cover 2 or Cover 4, what in the world was Meeks doing jumping up on Gronk, who is already bracketed by a double?

Quote seems to read to me that Gilmore didn’t have the best year in 2016 - the crux of my argument

6 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yes I played high school football there. And I also blog. That’s how I know Stephon Gilmore has a stellar year in 2016.  He never got beat.  It was always someone else’s fault.

Actually, he did get beat several times that year--he got HANDLED by Quincy Enunwa, and Tyler Boyd had a really nice TD against him that year.  For the season, he gave up 2 TDs...but in general, that season taught me a lot about whether or not most fans can identify a coverage by watching the All-22.

• Haha (+1) 1

"I know it is not the scheme. This scheme works. It has been successful all around the league. The guys have got to buy in"

Welcome to Rex's world. 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Actually, he did get beat several times that year--he got HANDLED by Quincy Enunwa, and Tyler Boyd had a really nice TD against him that year.  For the season, he gave up 2 TDs...but in general, that season taught me a lot about whether or not most fans can identify a coverage by watching the All-22.

Ok well that’s a fair point.  Just like line calls, we don’t exactly know who to attribute a sack to.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

"I know it is not the scheme. This scheme works. It has been successful all around the league. The guys have got to buy in"

Welcome to Rex's world. 

Ugh

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's much maligned because he didn't do his most important job..........which was to draft and develop a QB.

Nix failure to do so is the reason for the most recent tear down.

Like him or not Whaley was like the ball in the pinball machine........lead into harms way by the outgoing Nix and left to draft the best available QB in a wing-and-prayer class of QB's........and then batted around between 3 head coaches orders and a new owner's ignorance(Dareus' contract was on Terry Pegula).

What Buddy didn't understand is that in the modern NFL you get the QB first.........they can play 15-18 years..........and then you build around them.

Since then teams like the Seahawks have made this into a league-wide model for how to handle your business.

Well said Badol. That pretty much sums up how I feel about it. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yup. Even that year people not caught up in the saga with personal feelings voted him to the Pro Bowl.

He played well here, including that year. 

I've always thought that the new administration would have loved having him but couldn't afford keeping him with the salary cap disaster Whaley left them with. If he'd really been that bad, Gilmore wouldn't have gotten the money he got, and especially from one of the most notorious cheapskates in the league.

Bills fans always tend to have a sour grapes attitude towards guys who leave or who they think might leave.

4 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Also did not have a great rookie year, but I can agree with the rest.  

Yea I think he came on strong down the stretch his rookie year but he had some struggles out of the gate that is absolutely fair. 

2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Ok well that’s a fair point.  Just like line calls, we don’t exactly know who to attribute a sack to.

Well, having seen, read, and re-read Rex's playbook, I usually had a pretty darn good feel for it.  I spent a LOT of time that year trying to explain why Rex's scheme had people doing stupid things that don't look right on film.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. Even that year people not caught up in the saga with personal feelings voted him to the Pro Bowl.

He played well here, including that year. 

I've always thought that the new administration would have loved having him but couldn't afford keeping him with the salary cap disaster Whaley left them with. If he'd really been that bad, Gilmore wouldn't have gotten the money he got, and especially from one of the most notorious cheapskates in the league.

Bills fans always tend to have a sour grapes attitude towards guys who leave or who they think might leave.

I remember arguing with someone on here who was like "Ha why are they paying Gilmore all that money and refusing to pay Malcom Butler who is a much better corner."

It was an idiotic take then and looks an even more idiotic take now. Luckily for said individual I can't remember who he or she was. Someone out there knows it is them...... 

Well, having seen, read, and re-read Rex's playbook, I usually had a pretty darn good feel for it.  I spent a LOT of time that year trying to explain why Rex's scheme had people doing stupid things that don't look right on film.

Was the answer because Rex was a bafoon in the first place and was half assing it from the moment he got here? 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I remember arguing with someone on here who was like "Ha why are they paying Gilmore all that money and refusing to pay Malcom Butler who is a much better corner."

It was an idiotic take then and looks an even more idiotic take now. Luckily for said individual I can't remember who he or she was. Someone out there knows it is them...... 

I said pay Bouye his lesser deal. ?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Was the answer because Rex was a bafoon in the first place and was half assing it from the moment he got here? 

Partly, but mostly the answer is because Rex has an 80-page playbook with 12 plays per page, each of which has between 4 and 6 different variations that can all be checked to, so you might have a play call set, but then the alignment of the TE changes it, so you have to check, but then the same TE goes in motion and the play changes again, so you need to check that too.  It was lunacy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The numbers tell a different story:

You know my opinion on Turner.  Not impressed.  Try harder

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Butler is not a bad corner though.  I can agree Gilmore is better