Stephon Gilmore - first team AP All-Pro

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

^^^

^^^

^^^

^^^

The dishonor roll of embittered Bills fans hating on ex-Bills who wanted to play on winning teams or wanted to be paid market value for their skills surfaces every time such a player does well on his new team.  Maybe you fools should focus your bitterness on the Bills ownership, front office, and coaching staff who keep letting talented players leave while fielding a roster filled with non-NFL caliber players in the name of some cliche like "it all about the process" when it's really all about how big a profit the billionaire owner rakes in.

Who's better?

It's not Tre's "persona".  It's that White plays for the Bills currently and Gilmore no longer does.  When the Bills decline to re-sign White and he moves on (as they've done for all their top corners over the years), the same cretins will surface with the same hatred for him as they now have for Gilmore. 

Patently false, pure BS. If the Bills let White walk, many fans would be disgruntled. Many didn’t care for SG when he was here for football reasons and his lack of fiery play. Nothing wrong with wanting to play for a winner, and no team keeps all their drafted players. 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd like to hear the justification for that statement

It’s my opinion and impression from watching him play as a Bill. Your mileage may vary. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Damn right - most people can see my point.  There far too many Chris Hogan plays when he was on the Bills.  

Of course, some Bills fans love to rewrite history about former players

The league and fans disagree with you. Most people actually don’t see your point. Hate on! 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd like to hear the justification for that statement

It’s his perception but he’s not entirely wrong. I would say that he *appeared* to not love the game and didn’t want to be in Buffalo.

Watch his body language both on an off the field and his interviews.  He never seemed to be enthusiastic about playing for the team.  Go watch the Hogan play I posted where he was torched and it looked like he was blaming other.  There were several moments like that.  

To interpret this as being aloof and not interested in the team, may not be correctly, but it’s a valid observation 

10 minutes ago, Irv said:

Gilmore's tackling was about as effective as a football bat.

...Bills fans who love to rewrite history about former players disagree

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I can post where I please. Why is only positive feedback allowed? Rather than ignoring every thread that is irrelevant in my opinion, I try to point out when one is unnecessary.

I think you do care.  And that’s ok. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s my opinion and impression from watching him play as a Bill. Your mileage may vary. 

By all accounts, "doesn't love football" is 180 degrees opposite of Gilmore.

Here:

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/29/patriots-bringing-out-the-film-junkie-in-stephon-gilmore/

“I just remember how much he wanted to be the best, like all the little things, and really wanted to know everything inside and out – the way he practiced and the way he played and how competitive he was,” former Buffalo Bills coach and current Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said on a conference call in January. “I mean, shoot, when we played with him, he had one hand basically. He had hurt his wrist and he wound up out there and he was playing his butt off and just a really competitive kid.”

Even though Gilmore is a quiet guy – sometimes so quiet that he’s inaudible – he makes sure his love for the game is contagious. Crossen, for example, has played beneficiary to Gilmore’s relentless love for football and his ability to absorb endless hours of film.

2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

It’s his perception but he’s not entirely wrong. I would say that he *appeared* to not love the game and didn’t want to be in Buffalo.

Watch his body language both on an off the field and his interviews.  He never seemed to be enthusiastic about playing for the team.  Go watch the Hogan play I posted where he was torched and it looked like he was blaming other.  There were several moments like that.  

To interpret this as being aloof and not interested in the team, may not be correctly, but it’s a valid observation 

I guess that's why I don't judge people by their body language, but rather their body of work.

Going to NE was probably the best thing for Gilmore's career.  He's in a system that masks his main deficiency (a cornerstone of Belichick's D is that they always set the edge, meaning less 1 on 1 matchups between CB and RB during runs), he's in an organization that is the darling of the league and as such he is allowed to play more physically against receivers (which is a strong suit of his), and last but not least, he got paid.  

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Here:

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/29/patriots-bringing-out-the-film-junkie-in-stephon-gilmore/

“I just remember how much he wanted to be the best, like all the little things, and really wanted to know everything inside and out – the way he practiced and the way he played and how competitive he was,” former Buffalo Bills coach and current Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said on a conference call in January. “I mean, shoot, when we played with him, he had one hand basically. He had hurt his wrist and he wound up out there and he was playing his butt off and just a really competitive kid.”

Even though Gilmore is a quiet guy – sometimes so quiet that he’s inaudible – he makes sure his love for the game is contagious. Crossen, for example, has played beneficiary to Gilmore’s relentless love for football and his ability to absorb endless hours of film.

I guess that's why I don't judge people by their body language, but rather their body of work.

Still not sold based on one comment during a conference.  Belichick talks up the Bills and opponents all the time.  Do you think he really believes it?

Again, I’m not saying that’s the case but observing body language is the exact same thing as interpreting a quote.  It’s all an inference based on information 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Here:

Cool story, but I still don’t like Gilmore and glad they didn’t resign him. However as BADOL pointed out, if it meant drafting Mahomes and keeping SG I’d sign up for that. Come to think of it, I don’t like Marrone too much either. 

• Like (+1) 1

The tackling issue, especially when he was here was a bunch of hooey, in at least one major respect. A huge portion of posters here would call him a *****, or not wanting to get hurt when he was tackling. If THAT was the case, you would NOT drive your shoulder into the ballcarrier or receiver, which is what he did a lot of the times when he missed tackles.

He did miss far too many but it was because of technique, not wrapping a guy up, and trying to bulldoze him over that was his problem. Not being scared of tackling or contact. Tackling like he did was the way to get hurt not avoid getting hurt.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

That was a blown coverage by the safety. 

Were you a defensive coach on the Bills that year?  

Didn’t look like it.  Looked like he was beat and gave up

6 minutes ago, Capco said:

Going to NE was probably the best thing for Gilmore's career.  He's in a system that masks his main deficiency (a cornerstone of Belichick's D is that they always set the edge, meaning less 1 on 1 matchups between CB and RB during runs), he's in an organization that is the darling of the league and as such he is allowed to play more physically against receivers (which is a strong suit of his), and last but not least, he got paid.  

This probably makes more sense than the majority of the arguments here.  Thanks for sharing

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

White is just as good if not better and a more likeable personality. It’s not hard to understand. Fans want to like their team. Gilmore is good, but overrated now that he’s a Pat. I still didn’t want the Bills to pay him and I’m glad they didn’t. 

Um, he's not overrated. Throws against him had the lowest completion rate (42 percent) in the entire league: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-stephon-gilmore-was-pffs-highest-graded-nfl-cornerback-2018. How does being the best equate with "overrated"?

Also bear in mind that he essentially got the Pats to the SB with a genuinely impressive pass break up on 4th down vs. Jax in the AFC championship game that, if completed, would probably have led to a Jax victory. And he played well in the SB (unlike the other members of the NE secondary). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Capco said:

NE was tied for second in the NFL for number of defensive holding penalties.  20 teams had between 4 and 7 PI penalties all year--including Buffalo and NE.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

NE was tied for second in the NFL for number of defensive holding penalties.  20 teams had between 4 and 7 PI penalties all year--including Buffalo and NE.

And how many times did they get away with defensive holding without being called for it compared to the rest of the league?

7 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Were you a defensive coach on the Bills that year?  

Didn’t look like it.  Looked like he was beat and gave up

This probably makes more sense than the majority of the arguments here.  Thanks for sharing

There was  a ton of discussion about that play after the game. Reading the tea leaves from postgame comments, the general consensus was the coverage was blown. I think there were about five threads on that play after it happened.