Josh Allen interview: indicates QB Coach David Culley is integral part of his development

YoloinOhio

I’m listening to josh Allen’s Interview on WGR this morning and he brought up David Culley’s name unsolicited, saying how much he trusts him, that he listens to everything he says, and how important he has been to his development. I thought this was interesting because a lot of us have wondered if they may consider moving him to WR coach where most of his career has been spent, now that Robiskie is gone. Based on Josh’s comments, I’d be shocked if they made any changes to the QB coaching situation. 

Link to interview https://app.radio.com/SuggbyiadT

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 7

My thought as well.  Culley came to Buffalo because it was an opportunity to coach QBs, something he's wanted to do to fillout his resume.  He would probably not be very happy at being asked to switch to WR.  That, plus the fact that from all indications Allen likes him and he is apparently being developed the right way makes swtiching him sound like a bad idea, tantamount to trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

16 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I can’t remember where but I heard Culley is a good x and o, film room guy.   He’s not good with QB biomechanics.

The first part is really what the team QB coach is for. I think the personal QB coaches work more on the latter (in this case Jordan Palmer). There isn’t a lot of practice time available to work on individual mechanics, tbh. Maybe in OTAs and TC but I think they are working more on team- specific scheme and package install even then. 

• Like (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I can’t remember where but I heard Culley is a good x and o, film room guy.   He’s not good with QB biomechanics.

Other than that part of it, which is very important for QB development, can't see that a guy wit ha WR perspective would be bad for QB development.  Explaining to the QB how a WR thinks and run routes and where he'd like the ball can't do anything but help.

People here with no actual inside knowledge get way too hung up on things like this with people working anywhere close to outside the lines means incompetency.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Other than that part of it, which is very important for QB development, can't see that a guy wit ha WR perspective would be bad for QB development.  Explaining to the QB how a WR thinks and run routes and where he'd like the ball can't do anything but help.

People here with no actual inside knowledge get way too hung up on things like this with people working anywhere close to outside the lines means incompetency.  

He was Any Reid's assistant coach for years.  Andy Reid let him go so he could build the resume to get him to a HC job some day.  

Those two facts says so much about what this guy is and what he can do.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He also talked about wanting to throw the ball out of the stadium as an exclamation point, TD celebration.  The tunnel end has the scoreboards and the administration building in the way so he thought better of it.  The NFL has a fine of over $6k for throwing the ball into the stands so any of us could argue that appeal.  The money goes to a retired players charity so Howard and Jeremy were promoting a future GoFundMe effort and warning signs outside the stadium in the areas the ball might land.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

I was leery of the Culley hire, too, but Allen's development this season has quieted my fears for the time being.

I'm not sure how anyone who is happy with Allen's development this season could ALSO still be ringing the "get rid of Culley" bell. The two views are not compatible, in my estimation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Culley along with Daboll might be Exhibit A as to why it's important not to judge too soon off of a week by week hot take basis...I'm as guilty as the next guy of having questioned Culley's contributions along the way. I'm ok with seeing how this plays out through next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

716 has been defending Culley for quite a while on these boards. I think resigning Barkely and Anderson, along with Allen's endorsement of Culley is an encouraging sign. McD and Beane believe Allen is on track to be the qb they were hoping for and don't want to upset the situation that is promoting development. They kinda lucked into it, but great that they recognize it. Keep what works, move on from what doesn't.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The first part is really what the team QB coach is for. I think the personal QB coaches work more on the latter (in this case Jordan Palmer). There isn’t a lot of practice time available to work on individual mechanics, tbh. Maybe in OTAs and TC but I think they are working more on team- specific scheme and package install even then. 

I agree.

But I wonder why NFL teams don't have both kinds of QB coaches on staff...  One who's good at breaking down film, installing the game plan, and so on.  And another who works with the QB on his mechanics.   In the Bills case, why don't we have both Culley and Jordan Palmer at OBD?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I was leery of the Culley hire, too, but Allen's development this season has quieted my fears for the time being.

I'm not sure how anyone who is happy with Allen's development this season could ALSO still be ringing the "get rid of Culley" bell. The two views are not compatible, in my estimation.

I don’t think any of us know the true affect good or bad, that Culley had. 

Josh’s improvements were clearly in second half of season after his return from injury. 

Josh’s improvements directly corresponded to the additions of Anderson and Barkley midway through season and Bills rewarded both with extensions more for that than play (even with Barkley’s great game). 

Josh’s improvements directly corresponded with lowering and later releasing Benjamin and Holmes combined with ascending Foster and McKenzie and later Zay. 

I dont see Culley much in there. But again we don’t know. Josh talks highly about virtually everyone except himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I have the same impression.

I wonder where Allen could get off season help with his biomechanics? I don't think he needs allot of help, just a tweak here and there.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m listening to josh Allen’s Interview on WGR this morning and he brought up David Culley’s name unsolicited, saying how much he trusts him, that he listens to everything he says, and how important he has been to his development. I thought this was interesting because a lot of us have wondered if they may consider moving him to WR coach where most of his career has been spent, now that Robiskie is gone. Based on Josh’s comments, I’d be shocked if they made any changes to the QB coaching situation. 

Will post link to interview when available 

But I heard on TSW that he hasnt coached Allen at all.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

But everybody called me dumb when I said he was great for Allen’s development and a great coach... everybody said we needed a real QB coach... guess what he is...

and he is very good with film and mechanics... he is a fundamentals and mechanics Harper and a great coach

but what do I know

• Like (+1) 2