We need to trade down...

bills6969

This is a pretty weak draft a the top.  Bosa is good but he's a lock for #1.  Really think we should trade down and add an additional 2nd or 3rd.  Lots of talent (Simmons, Wilkins, Metcalf, Cajuste, Burns) will be available at the end of the 1st round any way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

This is a pretty weak draft a the top.  Bosa is good but he's a lock for #1.  Really think we should trade down and add an additional 2nd or 3rd.  Lots of talent (Simmons, Wilkins, Metcalf, Cajuste, Burns) will be available at the end of the 1st round any way.

Im not trading down unless I get a 1st this year of coarse, a second this year, and a first next year unless its only a couple of spots.  But if its any further than 11th or 12th see above.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, zevo said:

You can want all you want...but it takes two to tango....if it’s a weak draft at the top why would a team give up picks to move up.....

To draft a QB ahead of Denver.  Likely partners could be Miami, Cinci, Washington and Tenn.

Steelers,  NE and LA will need to draft one soon also. If they really like someone in this class, they may also bite. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

To draft a QB ahead of Denver.  Likely partners could be Miami, Cinci, Washington and Tenn.

Steelers,  NE and LA will need to draft one soon also. If they really like someone in this class, they may also bite. 

Those teams are going to be looking to get ahead of the Giants and Jags.  I doubt they’ll be looking for trade for this year’s version of JP or Ej.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree with the OP and Zevo.  The 3rd guy in this draft probably is as good as the 20th.  QB class is absolute garbage.  Sadly it will be near impossible to find a trade down partner.

Haskins is actually a pretty good prospect and Lock shows a lot of potential. Not an all time class by any stretch but not absolute garbage. 2013 Manuel draft class was absolute garbage. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RememberTheRockpile said:

How many rookies can you have on a roster before the inexperience is detrimental to the team? This is a question I have when I see people advocating trading down for more picks. 

The back end of your 90 man roster is typically made up of 7-10 college free agents. Wouldn’t you rather blue chip first, second or third round players competing for those roster spots? Not saying we’ll be able to trade down but those high round picks are gold if you pick right.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

How many rookies can you have on a roster before the inexperience is detrimental to the team? This is a question I have when I see people advocating trading down for more picks. 

I’ll never see talented young players as a negative. The late round picks are probably used as fodder to move up in earlier rounds, or long shots to make it. Hard to believe, but we WERE one of the older teams in the league. We were just less talented. We need to get younger (and cheaper), and I understand that has some growing pains associated with it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Hold your horses skippy. Lets just see who's available on draft day and what people are offering for the #9 pick before making such decisions

• Like (+1) 1

Way too early to make a determination one way or another. See what happens in FA, check out the combine etc. A trade down might be made, but as it’s been pointed out it requires a trade partner.  Most teams consider all their options thoroughly, so why worry ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

The back end of your 90 man roster is typically made up of 7-10 college free agents. Wouldn’t you rather blue chip first, second or third round players competing for those roster spots? Not saying we’ll be able to trade down but those high round picks are gold if you pick right.

This is what the Bills get this year:

1st - 1
2nd - 1
3rd - 1
4th - 2
5th - 2
6th - 1
7th - 2

Likely the first 4 rounds picks all make the team. Assume one from the 5th and one more from the 6th and 7th. That is 7 rookies or 13% of the 53 man roster. Imagine trading down in the first for a 1st and a 3rd. Throw in a undrafted rookie and your up to 9 or 17% of your roster. At some point, and I don't know what that point is, the inexperience becomes a liability especially early in the season. IMO, they would be much better served if they traded down and got future draft picks. For example instead of a 1st and a 3rd a 1st and next years 3rd.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

This is what the Bills get this year:

1st - 1
2nd - 1
3rd - 1
4th - 2
5th - 2
6th - 1
7th - 2

Likely the first 4 rounds picks all make the team. Assume one from the 5th and one more from the 6th and 7th. That is 7 rookies or 13% of the 53 man roster. Imagine trading down in the first for a 1st and a 3rd. Throw in a undrafted rookie and your up to 9 or 17% of your roster. At some point, and I don't know what that point is, the inexperience becomes a liability especially early in the season. IMO, they would be much better served if they traded down and got future draft picks. For example instead of a 1st and a 3rd a 1st and next years 3rd.

I get what you’re saying about experience but I want as much top talent on that roster as I can get. If those young players beat out veterans for a job, so be it. McBeane made the point of having one solid veteran in each position group, I think they’ll have that.

58 minutes ago, zevo said:

You can want all you want...but it takes two to tango....if it’s a weak draft at the top why would a team give up picks to move up.....

Yup and if an elite talent falls there has to be a reason why you wouldn't want to just draft that player instead? If there are QB's and you have a QB that tends to be the most likely reason to get a haul for a trade down. There are Julio Jones situations and the Bills even benefited from the Tavon Austin trade considerably. But rarely do teams make massive trade ups for non-QB players. So unless the Bills at pick 9 get extremely lucky with a team coveting a player more than the Bills I don't see a trade down as likely. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

You also need to consider the positions. Inexperience at RB is a non-issue, for example. OL experience could make a difference or at WR. Trading down and picking up another 2nd or 3rd might allow us to get one of the top interior OL in the draft. for example. I don't know who's who, but they generally get picked later than the OT's.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Those teams are going to be looking to get ahead of the Giants and Jags.  I doubt they’ll be looking for trade for this year’s version of JP or Ej.

The Giants should be looking for their own QB. RB is nice, QB a MUST!