Interesting and optimistic point about our final record

Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Consistant injuries yes.  Mediocrity?  I wouldnt call 500 yards and 3 TDs in 9 games mediocre, especially with a 72.7 catch percentage and a whole lot of other weapons on that team.  The word mediocre is overused on this site.  It means barely adequate.  Sorry but that doesnt desribe Watkins.  Often injured would be a fair arguement.

Very similar to the numbers that Robert Foster put up (see the other thread about Foster's production since re-signing in mid-season) -- with Foster averaging over 20 yards per reception. Difference is Foster was an undrafted free agent.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The reason I say we could have won that game is because Josh got us down near FG range when he got hurt.  In fact NP came in and completed 1 pass for 6 yards before Haush Money kicked a FG to cut the deficit and make the score 6 - 10.  Our defense held that offense in check, and there was a whole quarter left.  I think if Allen finishes that game, there was a good chance to win the game with him.  It all fell apart when Peterman kept throwing INTs including a pick 6.  I dont know Hou scores again if not for the turnovers. 

No lock we win it, which is why I say he may have gotten one more win in that game if not for the injury, but certainly agree no guarantee though.

I like how you gloss over the Peterman TD to put them in a position to win. He lost the game, but the only reason it was winnable was because of him. Either way I don't think Allen wins that game. 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's definitely a what if game.

Im excited about Allen and assuming he doesn't get hurt or regress next year it's hard to imagine a scenario where they are worse next season. 

With that said they got their asses handed to them by playoff teams. The games weren't even close in just about all of them. They could've easily lost the Titans and Lions game. They have a long way to go.

Not after Josh came back though from injury.  They had one rough game at NE.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I like how you gloss over the Peterman TD to put them in a position to win. He lost the game, but the only reason it was winnable was because of him. Either way I don't think Allen wins that game. 

So since when is being down by 4 in a 6 - 10 game not winnable with a whole quarter left?  Lol

People will poo-pooh the 'what-ifs' but there's a fairly strong correlation between the kind of one bounce, one-play type outcomes/games that impact a team's final record...it's usually turnover diff but I put a lot of stock in these kinds of stats tbh. An oblong ball tends to inject a ton of variance over the course of a season, averages are good that the next year it trends more toward the mean. 

To be .500 as a rookie starter given what he had to work with is pretty encouraging  For better or worse the kid put the team on his back.  I have to trust that the roster especially on offense should boast considerably more talent in 2019 so the future is pretty bright.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So since when is being down by 4 in a 6 - 10 game not winnable with a whole quarter left?  Lol

10 points - 10 minutes ...    never a guarantee. 

Plenty of teams have made up the difference and won late in the 4th. 

Like 808 said  - one bounce, one-play type outcomes can mean a 14 point swing.

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's definitely a what if game.

Im excited about Allen and assuming he doesn't get hurt or regress next year it's hard to imagine a scenario where they are worse next season. 

With that said they got their asses handed to them by playoff teams. The games weren't even close in just about all of them. They could've easily lost the Titans and Lions game. They have a long way to go.

They also could have easily swept the Dolphins and Jets.  This team was pretty decent towards the end of the year.  That's saying something with that roster.  It's hope for next year.  

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They had a rookie QB, a new OC, a 2nd year HC/GM and a serious lack of talent on offense.  They did a great ***** job, all things considered and you're never going to convince those who like to piss in Cheerios.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/2/2019 at 5:44 PM, dave mcbride said:

I don't think you can take away the Houston game. He managed to lead the team to only 3 points through nearly 3 quarters of play (It was 10-3 with 2.48 remaining in the third when he left the field). 3 points through 70 percent of the game is not good enough, and he should get the loss if you're going to use that metric. 

Well.  That and if he won that game we have no idea what his record would have been, since he would've played in 5 other games, and we have no proof he would've learned as much in those games as he did sitting.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, Foxx said:

i'm not real big on the shoulda/woulda/coulda thing. at what point does one draw the line? heck,  I could argue that we coulda/shoulda/woulda been 16-0 at this point too. 

you are what you are regardless of the endless possibilities. what we are is not bad right now, considering the context of it all.

Take away the 2nd best D in the league and we might be drafting 1st overall in the next draft.

I'm just saying...

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, cd1 said:

It is important to note:  The Pats won't BE The PATS forever!

Eventually they will return to being the pats ...   

...and THAT day is coming very soon.

Where have I heard this before?

I'm my humble opinion it depends on who leaves first. If Tommy,  not much changes. The train keeps rolling.  In the Tommy era, the Patsies** have gone 13-6 (.684) with Matt Cassell Jimmy G, and Jacoby Brissett at QB.

If however, Bill Bellyache quits first, it's over.

Edited by reddogblitz

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So 6-10? ?

I would agree until they got their balls handed to them in NE. 

Do you remember the Monday night game at the Ralph?  Josh Allen would have won that game with the way Bills D played.  Point is that this team is much closer to compeating for a playoff spot than you give them credit for.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Do you remember the Monday night game at the Ralph?  Josh Allen would have won that game with the way Bills D played.  Point is that this team is much closer to compeating for a playoff spot than you give them credit for.  

How can you say that. He sucked when he got hurt.

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Says who? 

Allen was playing dreadful before he got hurt. 

Again, they got crushed by playoff teams this season. Crushed. The games weren't competitive. At all.

Houston was not a crushing.  The Peterman got crushed.  Again even though Allen wasn't playing well there was a good chance they come out of Houston with a Win if he doesn't go down.  All I'm saying is the Bills are in a much better place, financially and with player development then they were to start the 2018.  I don't see the point in blaming the front office for this season until they are done building the roster back up.   I am optimistic as I would hope most Bills fans would be.