Josh Allen---has your opinion changed on him since draft night?

Big Turk

On 1/2/2019 at 8:46 AM, matter2003 said:

For me, I didnt want him. I believed all the hype with his terrible completion percentage, that he wasn't ready, etc etc...

I am a pretty big fan after watching his first year play out I have to admit. Accuracy is an issue but not as much as I think most people believe. Yes he makes some bad throws, but throwing the ball away, deeper throws than normal and dropped passes are a much bigger factor in his incompletions than his inaccuracy. in fact I was surprised to see his accuracy be so much better than i imagined...I was envisioning balls all over the place and terrible ball placement but I didnt see a lot of that. Were there some throws he would like back? Yeah sure there were...did he appear to be a 51.4% completion QB based on the accuracy of his throws? No way...

His athleticism is off the charts, dude is crazy fast for his size and is explosive when running. He hits top speed quickly and can really move...you can see this by how many times a defender thinks they have him and takes a bad angle only to have Allen blow by the guy without him even touching him.

I think shoring up the protection, and giving Allen some more weapons to work with will do a lot towards helping him improve his completion percentage.

Do i think he will ever be a 65% completion QB? No. He will probably be similar to Cam Newton hovering around upper 50s to low 60s. I think we can still win with that based on how often he throws deeper passes and improving the talent around him.

Needless to say I'm excited to see how things work out as he gets a full off season and all the work in minicamps and training camps as the undisputed #1 QB with continued help from Anderson and Barkley who he credits for a lot of his development in little nuances and understanding the game better.

So has your opinion changed on Josh Allen from the draft to now? 

My opinion changed dramatically on him- from 2 days before the draft to draft day, and from draft day until now.

When I saw his throws at the combine I was like "ok, don't fall for the measurables. They are in shorts and we already know he's a 'workout hero'". I did not want an inaccurate college QB from a crap team just because he looks like the player you make in Madden as a prototype at QB.

Then the twitter leak. This gave me the feeling that some team(s) were trying to make him fall in the draft. This actually made me want us to draft him. Wierd I know, and maybe it's a bit of underdog syndrome, or maybe I felt like he was being mistreated. Either way, I wanted him even though my brain screamed "NOOOOO"

From then to now, what a difference. You could argue he is still inaccurate (and the stats would agree with you), but he showed us so much more that makes me proud to have him as our QB- namely his passion, heart, team mentality, and drive (and did I mention he's like a physical prototype at QB). He is so perfect for the city of Buffalo it's almost scary. He has embraced all things Buffalo and the fans have reciprocated. As I type this I see him at the Sabres game in a Tre White goalie academy hoodie. Good *****. On the field he showed things that make me believe he is the future, and off the field he is already there. 

That's my quarterback, man....

12 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

My opinion changed dramatically on him- from 2 days before the draft to draft day, and from draft day until now.

When I saw his throws at the combine I was like "ok, don't fall for the measurables. They are in shorts and we already know he's a 'workout hero'". I did not want an inaccurate college QB from a crap team just because he looks like the player you make in Madden as a prototype at QB.

Then the twitter leak. This gave me the feeling that some team(s) were trying to make him fall in the draft. This actually made me want us to draft him. Wierd I know, and maybe it's a bit of underdog syndrome, or maybe I felt like he was being mistreated. Either way, I wanted him even though my brain screamed "NOOOOO"

From then to now, what a difference. You could argue he is still inaccurate (and the stats would agree with you), but he showed us so much more that makes me proud to have him as our QB- namely his passion, heart, team mentality, and drive (and did I mention he's like a physical prototype at QB). He is so perfect for the city of Buffalo it's almost scary. He has embraced all things Buffalo and the fans have reciprocated. As I type this I see him at the Sabres game in a Tre White goalie academy hoodie. Good *****. On the field he showed things that make me believe he is the future, and off the field he is already there. 

That's my quarterback, man....

The stats might agree with you that he is inaccurate but the eye test for the most part doesn't. Completion percentage never has and never will be a really good measure of how accurate a QB is. It tells part of the story but nowhere near the full story.

Edited by matter2003

I was happy for the pick on draft day. I hated Rosen. 

I didn’t care for mayfield or Darnold either so josh kinda won by elimination. 

I seen Darnold as a turnover machine and figured he’d have the usual USC success. So far he looks better and like he’ll be a legit qb. But still looks like a turnover machine. 

Baker is what I thought he’d be, ready to play and probably a top 20 quarterback. Just don’t think he’s very special and will ever be better than a top 15 quarterback. Which isn’t a bad thing at all especially for poor Cleveland after all the years of suffering. 

Allen has limitless potential but I’d pump the brakes on crowning him a generational talent like some have on here. He could be a top 5-10 quarterback but there’s a lot of work to do on his game still. I don’t expect the running to be a normal thing for him. Gotta throw the ball and stop missing reads on the field. 

I will say in my eyes he progressed more than expected this season and that’s huge. If he can read the field better and make some of these easier throws he could make the jump to Aaron Rodgers (5 years ago) status. 

Which is obviously huge. Barring injuries bills fans should be excited to see him get better 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:46 AM, ganesh said:

+1.   From day one, I was happy to have him as our QB.  With Darnold and Mayfield gone, our decision came down to between the two Josh's and each one had their own pro's and cons.   Allen fits the mould of this town and was the choice.   What he showed through the entire season was the eagerness to  *continue* to learn every day and become better.  We got the right one!

Maybe that will be a 30 For 30 in about 20 years. "The Two Josh's" lol

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

100%. 

However, we need to, as a group, stop acting like he's a 7 time pro bowler, 3x all pro, on his way to the HOF. A TON of work to be done still. Way more than we acknowledge. 

Nah. I see it acknowledged about every 3rd post or so, on anything regarding Allen. 

Its like a default setting for half the poster around here. They see somebody excited about Allen and then immediately feel the need to respond with “he’s got a ton of work to do! Chill out!” 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

100%. 

However, we need to, as a group, stop acting like he's a 7 time pro bowler, 3x all pro, on his way to the HOF. A TON of work to be done still. Way more than we acknowledge. 

who's "we"? can you dig up a few quotes related to your claim there?

I agree there is work yet to be done but I have seen no one prop him up in the way you describe.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

who's "we"? can you dig up a few quotes related to your claim there?

I agree there is work yet to be done but I have seen no one prop him up in the way you describe.

There are plenty saying "I'm now convinced" and "the kid has 'it'..." and such like. Even in this thread. We have had other threads declaring him a 2019 MVP candidate. It is fair to say as promising as he has looked in the 2nd half of the season that we should pump the breaks a tad on that kind of talk. There is a long way still to go.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

There are plenty saying "I'm now convinced" and "the kid has 'it'..." and such like. Even in this thread. We have had other threads declaring him a 2019 MVP candidate. It is fair to say as promising as he has looked in the 2nd half of the season that we should pump the breaks a tad on that kind of talk. There is a long way still to go.

I’d say it’s a lot more reasonable to project him a success after a typical rookie campaign than, say, before he was ever drafted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

pretty sure "most" sensible folks know there is work yet to be done.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Stating that "I'm now convinced" that he will be a franchise QB or "the kid has it" is nothing like what E. Poster stated.  

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Stating that "I'm now convinced" that he will be a franchise QB or "the kid has it" is nothing like what E. Poster stated.  

I think it is. It is a point that any reasonable fan should know we haven't reached yet. There are lots of reasons to be positive, but there have been people going over the top.

In the 2017 draft I really liked Trubisky and I was intrigued by Mahomes. I did not like Watson at all. But deep down I really wanted to wait for 2018 and get Josh Allen. He seemed like the prototype quarterback the Bills had been looking for, for a very long time. Big, huge arm, big hands etc etc etc. 

As we approached the draft in 2018 I didn't think we would get a shot at Allen. So I started to study Rosen a lot and started to feel very strongly that he was our guy. I did not like Mayfield or Jackson. I liked Allen, Rosen, Darnold. On draft night I was somewhat disappointed for about 2 seconds, because I really convinced myself that we were going to draft Rosen. I realized that I should have stuck with my gut all along and stayed loyal to the idea of Josh Allen. I flip flopped a bit, but I really was okay with Darnold, Allen, or Rosen. 

I've been very happy watching him play. The last time I was excited about a Bills quarterback was Drew Bledsoe, and Jim before that obviously. Allen is the real deal. He's humble, hard working, smart, and has ridiculous athletic upside as a passer and runner. There is a ton of work to be done, but I truly believe we have found our guy for the long haul. He's perfect for Buffalo. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

ATTENTION ALL PUNCH BOWL PI**ERS:

The majority of people that are excited about allen realize he's got work yet to do in order to be the QB the bills need him to be..... a novel idea to some of you, I know.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

ATTENTION ALL PUNCH BOWL PI**ERS:

The majority of people that are excited about allen realize he's got work yet to do in order to be the QB the bills need him to be..... a novel idea to some of you, I know.

Agreed. The majority do. Some have gone over the top and that was what I believe Elite Poster was referring to. I think he is entitled to do that without the usual rush of people taking shots at him.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. The majority do. Some have gone over the top and that was what I believe Elite Poster was referring to. I think he is entitled to do that without the usual rush of people taking shots at him.

If you give the same benefit of the doubt to the folks who are enthusiastic about Allen as you do to Elite Poster, there really isn't a basis for anyone being upset. A lot of folks feel the need to add the caveat about Allen having to continue to develop just to placate folks who actually seem irritated that others are now really happy Allen is the Buffalo Bills qb. You probably wouldn't have the same level of emotional optimism if many hadn't been persuaded by the massive negative reaction to the fella when he was first drafted that we had made a highly risk choice likely to be a bust. It's as much relief that Allen's floor is evidently not a "bust" as joy that he appears to have a legitimate shot at hitting his ceiling that is motivating the good vibes. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really did not expect anything from any of the QBs available, and I pretty much expected anyone that the Bills selected would end up being terrible.

I figured if the Heisman-toting Mayfield fell to us, he would end up being Manziel version 2.0; That I would end up reading about him running over some pedestrian late one weekend while on a drunken binge, fleeing the scene, leaving a rental car full of drugs, hookers, and some loaded guns.

As a Buffalo Bills fan with a perennial list of letdowns, I would not have been surprised in the least - so admittedly the bar was set pretty low. If we ended up with anyone that did not promptly get into legal trouble and end up making negative headlines, I figured we would end up with someone who could maybe, barely manage to not lose games if forced into action because McCarron got hurt.... as long as he had a stout defense and were somewhat able to run the ball.

I was resigned to watching our defense and simply hoping that they would punch Brady a few times in the ***** each year before we exited sans playoffs and I started watching hockey.

Now I watch our Bills and the offense because they are actually fun to watch. The kid is a breath of fresh air. Yes, he is undisciplined and dangerous with the ball, he makes mistakes, but his desire and compete reach right out of the screen at you and can put you at the edge of your seat yelling at him, "Oh no, no, no, no, wait... yes, yes, touchdown!"  He wants to make a play, he wants to score even if means he has to drag the entire offense down the field with him, and he has some jaw-dropping athleticism.

Was anyone, who was not a fan of Wyoming college football, expecting this?

It's the Allen roller coaster folks, it is different from anything we have had for years at the position, so why not strap in and enjoy the ride.

Edited by WideNine