Josh Allen---has your opinion changed on him since draft night?

Big Turk

Ironically, this fan's opinion of Allen  (Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen for that matter) has not changed. For this 5 decade fan of the NFL, it has never been a question of which rookie QB did I believe would make it as the Bills QB, but in reality, all of these prospects had some clear potentially fatal flaws as a QB prospect.  None of these QB prospects could be mistaken for a drop-dead clear pick like Andrew Luck was a few years ago.

Even tougher, reality has demonstrated that even agreed upon by consensus to be a quality pro talent at QB like Luck can be suddenly reduced to having to throw nerf footballs by injury  but fortunately can come back to lead his team to a playoff win.

I have few doubts that all 4 of these rooks have significant deficits.  What I had no doubts about is that the Bills have shown horrible talent at developing QBs since Jim Kelly retired.

I like what Allen has showed.  I think the key tom our future is for the Bills overall to show some commitment to better strategy and tactics at developing QB talent.

I don’t follow college but from the reports I read and combine tryouts Josh was one of 2 I wanted.  

The other one ended up being the least productive.  

The ones I wanted least was also split.  One just happened to get to play on a playoff team. 

So no my opinion hasn’t changed 

Yes, at the start of the season even after the draft I said there is 1 franchise QB and thats Mayfield in the entire class..aka a guy that will STILL be with his team as the starter in 5 years from now. Allen did very little to change my thoughts through when he got injured...but when he came back..and through the end of the year. Ive changed my stance. Mayfield and the Browns are just a better team currently and that helped Mayfield a ton..he has better OL better TR better TE etc,etc... I now think that Allen AND Darnold BOTH have a shot to be their teams franchise guy...not a sure fire shot like Baker...but at least I went from both these guys suck..to..both have a shot.

I saw enough that im interested and almost excited to see what they can do with the LEAGUES WORST OL and WR corps this off season to improve those to help out the QB and running game.

Honestly I will even be man enough to admit that while I knew we couldn't get up high enough to get baker..that I wanted Darnold or Rosen...and when Rosen and Allen were there I yelled at the TV about it when they took Allen instead. Now im thinking Rosen may be the guy..possibly the ONLY guy that doesnt make it.

Edited by CBennett

I was very down on Rosen for many reasons. I was pro Mayfield and Mason Rudolph. Mayfield looks great. I still think Rudolph has a chance after Ben in Pitt. Great situation for him.

I was neutral on Allen, but an early adopter. Tried to show how he fit the Favre mold statistically.

Josh Allen is a better runner than I thought. His passing game is right where I expected it to be.

Better OL and WR and this will be a lot of fun in the future. He has helped make Foster and McKenzie legit WRs in the NFL.

Zay is coming along, would be a tremendous #3 in the slot

Trade down and take AJ Brown in the first? Go OL/DL in the 2-3rd?

#1 AJ Brown, #2 Robert Foster, #3 Zay Jones, #4 McKenzie. #5 ST player to be announced

sounds very good to me

On 1/2/2019 at 7:13 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

He still has issues with the easy throws, mainly the swing passes and screens.

Plus he passes those throws up a little too much.

Hopefully he works tirelessly on that and then next year he uses the opportunities to get those easy completions.

Hell, Tom Brady has lived off the RB completion for years now.

Part Josh but also part Daboll. Not a ton of short throws called in general. But I agree, the short passing game in general needs a ton of work. Especially if they are going to keep McCoy. They went after a lot of speed guys at receiver like Foster, McKenzie, need to get all these guys in space on the perimeter much more often than we tried to this year.

On 1/5/2019 at 12:18 PM, thebandit27 said:

A franchise QB is simply one with which you can win a super bowl with him being a key part of the offense. He doesn't need to be THE reason, but it cannot be in spite of him.

Great examples of the above: Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning 

how about a franchise QB is one that is good enough that you're not looking to draft a franchise QB?

• Like (+1) 2

To be perfectly honest Josh scared the heck out of me as a prospect...

But there were plenty of reasons...To say I was not a big fan of Wyoming's Offense is an understatement...I watched as many of his College games as I could, and when I did I found myself yelling at the TV like it was a Bills game... "What are they doing!" When they went against bigger schools they were not only out-talented...they were grossly out-coached...So as a prospect this made it SO hard for me to project...

Keep in mind I was the guy who told anyone who would listen that Pat Mahomes was the #1 overall prospect in the 2017 Draft...Mayfield was my QB1 in 2018...So I think I'm at least a decent amateur scout when it comes to QB play...When I watched Mahomes I saw shades of Favre...But I was also able to see the kid throw a million passes in a wide-open Offense that gave me a good overall picture in how he could convert to the NFL...In Mayfield I saw Brees...He also threw a million passes and I was ultra impressed with his uncanny ability to put the ball exactly where it needs to be consistently...When I watched Josh, as an athlete he reminded me of Elway...But outside of a nice moment here and there he was never given the coaching or play calling (IMHO) to show me if it was transferable to the next level...

But that is exactly why I now have so much excitement when it comes to Josh's future...You had this extremely raw kid with these amazing tools...He had by far the least amount of experience vs good competition in College, and again by far the worst Offense and play calling...Then you place him on an NFL team with a terrible Offensive line, poor skill position players, and a running game that can't keep any Defense honest...And the kid still showed progress...He got better...He became a leader...He won over his teammates and the locker room...And he seems to have the right mindset to make a big step in year 2...

So my opinion has definitely changed...I'm cautiously optimistic...Even excited about the future...?

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/2/2019 at 10:46 PM, matter2003 said:

Josh Allen---has your opinion changed on him since draft night?

Not much. He's a better runner than I thought.

But I thought he was a guy who had a chance to be really good but that he would need a ton of development to get there and wasn't a sure thing. That's still what it looks like to me.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

To be perfectly honest Josh scared the heck out of me as a prospect...

But there were plenty of reasons...To say I was not a big fan of Wyoming's Offense is an understatement...I watched as many of his College games as I could, and when I did I found myself yelling at the TV like it was a Bills game... "What are they doing!" When they went against bigger schools they were not only out-talented...they were grossly out-coached...So as a prospect this made it SO hard for me to project...

Keep in mind I was the guy who told anyone who would listen that Pat Mahomes was the #1 overall prospect in the 2017 Draft...Mayfield was my QB1 in 2018...So I think I'm at least a decent amateur scout when it comes to QB play...When I watched Mahomes I saw shades of Favre...But I was also able to see the kid throw a million passes in a wide-open Offense that gave me a good overall picture in how he could convert to the NFL...In Mayfield I saw Brees...He also threw a million passes and I was ultra impressed with his uncanny ability to put the ball exactly where it needs to be consistently...When I watched Josh, as an athlete he reminded me of Elway...But outside of a nice moment here and there he was never given the coaching or play calling (IMHO) to show me if it was transferable to the next level...

But that is exactly why I now have so much excitement when it comes to Josh's future...You had this extremely raw kid with these amazing tools...He had by far the least amount of experience vs good competition in College, and again by far the worst Offense and play calling...Then you place him on an NFL team with a terrible Offensive line, poor skill position players, and a running game that can't keep any Defense honest...And the kid still showed progress...He got better...He became a leader...He won over his teammates and the locker room...And he seems to have the right mindset to make a big step in year 2...

So my opinion has definitely changed...I'm cautiously optimistic...Even excited about the future...?

He had the least amount of experience, period. I think he had something like 48% of the snaps that Mayfield had and they came into the league the same year. Then to think we took him, most likely knowing the disadvantage he already faced with so little experience and we doubled down on that by making him compete with the worst QB in NFL history and a 4 year backup to an average QB, taking away the valuable reps he needed.

At his current rate of progress it pains me to think what this year could've been if they just drafted him and named him the starter from day 1. Even more so what we could've seen by the end of the year if he hadn't missed the 5.5 games that he did.

• Like (+1) 1