Bills fire OL Coach Juan Castillo

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Only 6 teams had a lower YPC than Buffalo's 4.2, and that's factoring in Allen's 631 yards on 89 carries (average of 7.1).

That's a pretty horrendous run game.

Yeh the lesson of 2013: #2 in rush yards, #1 in rush attempts, #14 in rush YPA...not good.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:44 PM, Scott7975 said:

Maybe it’s just me but it seemed like Groy did pretty well while Wood was injured that partial year. Perhaps they thought they were fine. 

Yes and many who claim to be OL couch experts stated he was better than Wood and most speculation was whether Groy would be on line as center or guard.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, Capco said:

Is it likely that a new OL coach is hired before any personnel decisions are made?

Possibly the recently fire OL coach was the first hire Coach McD made before even OC.  I am surprised he was fired and not "promoted" to offense assistant.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:57 PM, stevewin said:

Yeah - in the KB case I was mostly thinking of just friendly connections they might still have in the building not necessarily affiliated with the coaching staff or management - equipment guys, secretaries, ball boys etc etc - just people they might have known (friends essentially) who might have been observers on what was going on in the building in an unofficial sense.

Those type of friends when caught should be fired with cause.  The Bills were very leaky for a while with one employee giving media inside information, some of it was wrong so likely from garbage cans, but the Bills seemed to have sealed the leaks at the same time they fired some internal, non-coaching personnel.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Those type of friends when caught should be fired with cause.  The Bills were very leaky for a while with one employee giving media inside information, some of it was wrong so likely from garbage cans, but the Bills seemed to have sealed the leaks at the same time they fired some internal, non-coaching personnel.

I get what you are saying - but was really thinking of more informal conversational things between friends ("KB's still lazy") - not direct espionage (or even necessarily inquiries for that matter)

Edited by stevewin

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

man...

after reading the article I say hire the man back!

I felt the same.
Imagine how McD felt ?

But this is a good and wise business decision.
They are pros and know the game is about production. Sounds overstated, but true so much so in the NFL.
They need some one who can coordinate the run game. Not just develop players.

i thought gee whiz maybe they could offer him an assistant o line Coach position after he sees what his worth is on the market after reading the article and quotes
but thats just me being weak

Bring back the Deck Chair Tossing Guy !!

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I didn't like letting Kromer go and you could tell the line regressed even when Juan had the talent. Bye.

I am still pissed about letting Joe D'  go !

don't get me started about Aaron K.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Only 6 teams had a lower YPC than Buffalo's 4.2, and that's factoring in Allen's 631 yards on 89 carries (average of 7.1).

That's a pretty horrendous run game.

The Ravens, factoring in their QBs 700 yards rushing, are averaging only 4.5 yards a carry.  Anyone calling that rushing offense horrendous?   Nope, they are calling it the 2ndbest in the league

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Ravens, factoring in their QBs 700 yards rushing, are averaging only 4.5 yards a carry.  Anyone calling that rushing offense horrendous?   Nope, they are calling it the 2ndbest in the league

Then "they" aren't really evaluating it critically now, are they?

First, I'm not so sure it's a great idea career-wise to do what Juan Castillo did in that article.

Secondly, the run game coordinator for a running game as putrid as the 2018 Bills' takes zero blame and doesn't think it was fair that he was fired? Really?!

The guy has some legitimate complaints, but also seems to severely lack self awareness and accountability. 

Onward and upward.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Obviously that included assets.

As I said, those assets could've been FUTURE UNKNOWN draft picks rather than a ESTABLISHED, GOOD NFL Player in Glenn. He plays a pretty significant position in LT as well. 

Your kidding yourself or simply making excuses for the trade if you think trading up couldn't have happened without trading Glenn. 

Now the Bills are talking about moving Dawkins who struggled at the position. Guna be hard to find a bonafide LT in FA/the draft. 

While it's not a terrible thing, they seem to value their former players, draft picks and scouting way too much, IMO. 

Indeed! LTs don’t grow on trees and teams  rarely let go of them. 

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

What PFF had to say about Glenn this season... for what its worth... "Glenn had the lowest-graded season of his career at 60.9 overall, and he gave up a career-high 36 pressures."

Indeed. Glenn is not the Glenn who had a great start to his career. 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What was Dawkins ranked?

Honestly not sure.  I pulled that from an overall offensive line ranking not individual rankings.  I don't have a subscription so the best I could find for individual scores were for after week 5 where Dawkins was rated about 10 points higher than Glenn, but I don't feel its fair after only 5 weeks.  A lot of stuff happens over the coarse of a season.  If someone can find it, I would love to see an end of season individual scores.