John Wawrow: Bills & Kyle Williams Play Wait-and-See on Tackle’s Future; Sunday Will Be His Final Game as a Buffalo Bill

26CornerBlitz

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Kyle Williams is in no rush to determine his future.

And the Buffalo Bills aren’t going to push the defensive tackle into making a decision about returning for a 14th season any time soon in what’s become an annual game of wait and see when it comes to the team’s respected leader and longest-tenured active player.

“Do you want to read the transcript back from last year,” Williams said with a laugh on Wednesday.

He was referring to the noncommittal responses he provided to the same questions a year ago before signing a one-year contract in March. And Williams’ comments were hardly different after the 2016 season, when he briefly contemplated retirement before electing to return in February for what was the final season of his three-year contract.

The same applies this time, with Williams and the Bills (5-10) preparing to close out the season hosting Miami (7-8) on Sunday.

Sure, the 35-year-old said, the thought of his future has briefly crossed his mind. And no, Williams isn’t going to share even a hint as to which way he’s leaning because it would only be a distraction.

Otherwise, no timetable and no commitment.

“I think whenever the decision comes out will be the appropriate time,” Williams said, appreciating how little he was divulging.

It’s a stance the Bills fully respect, and a topic general manager Brandon Beane has no intention of broaching with the season coming to a close.

“I’m not going to grab him on Monday and say, ‘Hey, Kyle, do you want to play?’” Beane told The Associated Press. “I think you’ve got to let him get away, let the body calm down, the mind, and then decide.”

That said, Beane is more than open to having Williams return, and said the decision is essentially up to the player.

If he isn't in bad pain and doing serious damage to his body why the hell wouldn't he go out there again next year and take home a few more million. Seems like he enjoys playing and being on the team. The money is excellent and gone forever the moment he stops. I expect he'll be back (provided, again, his body isn't telling him to stop immediately). 

Edited by dayman
  • Like (+1) 1

5 sacks and 31 tackles with far fewer reps. We need an infusion of youth at the position and I'm not convinced Phillips can ball, but Kyle is still playing at a high level. I'd like to see him back not because he's a vet and a fan favorite, but because he's still a productive player.

Will be interesting to see what they do this offseason with Williams and Alexander. As much as the Bills need to add young talent in the front 7, both players are still producing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dayman said:

If he isn't in bad pain and doing serious damage why the hell wouldn't he go out there again next year and take home a few more million. Seems like he enjoys playing and being on the team. The money is excellent and gone forever the moment he stops. I expect he'll be back (provided, again, his body isn't telling him to stop immediately). 

His family might well be a big part of the consideration.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, dayman said:

If he isn't in bad pain and doing serious damage to his body why the hell wouldn't he go out there again next year and take home a few more million. Seems like he enjoys playing and being on the team. The money is excellent and gone forever the moment he stops. I expect he'll be back (provided, again, his body isn't telling him to stop immediately). 

He has enough money, but more is always better. While the almighty $$$ is certainly  a factor, I suspect the decision will weigh heavily on deciding between the locker room experience with the team and more time with his family.  Hoping he comes back, but also that he does what makes his heart feel warm. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If he believes 2019 is another rebuild year, I think he'll retire.

He is is smart enough to know  the team wasn’t that much removed from a better season. Look at Hou, mia, and jets loses along with a few of the games when Allen wasn’t playing. This team could have bern 8-6 or 9-5 going into last weeks games.

it could be a decision he waits till late March and what is done in free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
That said, Beane is more than open to having Williams return, and said the decision is essentially up to the player.

35 years old, 14 year NFL career with the same team and he still has an ample combination of skill and leadership to decide whether he wants to play next year. Not many lineman on either side of the ball get the opportunity to make that decision

3 hours ago, fansince88 said:

If he retires I agree with his decision.  If he plays I agree with his decision.  He is KW! KW does what KW wants and I like his plan!

?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

5 sacks and 31 tackles with far fewer reps. We need an infusion of youth at the position and I'm not convinced Phillips can ball, but Kyle is still playing at a high level. I'd like to see him back not because he's a vet and a fan favorite, but because he's still a productive player.

Will be interesting to see what they do this offseason with Williams and Alexander. As much as the Bills need to add young talent in the front 7, both players are still producing. 

I know his family is important to him and his health is always a concern. However, I do think he could still be productive next year and I would like to see him back as well.  This next year is a critical time for this FO and coaching staff: Their ability to add real impactful talent through free agency and the draft, the progression of present players (primarily Allen and Edmunds), and how it all comes together on the field in 2019. From outward appearances, Williams has been a big supporter of McDermott with a belief in what he is trying to do. IMO, he strikes me as a guy who, in his decision making process, would put considerable weight on wanting to see this "third year" through. I also think he would be an important piece of their success - if it happens. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I think he’ll ask Lorax to be signed as well, if that happens I think he’ll agree for 1 last year.

I could easily see Lorax staying around for another season, maybe 2.

Kyle is a 50-50 chance. He still plays at a high level and he continues to produce. Granted he's not an every down player, but so what?

I'm hoping he comes back. His leadership and being a veteran to help bring along the younger players is important to our defense.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

He has enough money, but more is always better. While the almighty $$$ is certainly  a factor, I suspect the decision will weigh heavily on deciding between the locker room experience with the team and more time with his family.  Hoping he comes back, but also that he does what makes his heart feel warm. 

His kids are still young enough that he could play another year or two and not miss too much. I bet he hangs it up after next year if the organization doesn't go anywhere.