How old were you when you realized the whole Santa thing is a hoax?

BuffaloBill

awful parenting moment # 2000

When my son was like 7, we put a bag of coal( maybe coal..where the hell do you get coal?) on the railing before you go downstairs addressed to him,  note from Santa, saying he was getting coal this year as he was not a good boy that year...

not a good idea! Poor kid burst into tears, traumatized, ran back to his room, crying his poor little eyes out...took us like 5 minutes to convince him it was a bad joke by the two awfullest parents in the world and cmon, look downstairs ..the real Santa left toys!

He never lets us forget that moment either!

• Haha (+1) 3

Don't really remember but probably by age 7.  I knew Christmas was a very big deal for my mother so I did not want to spoil it.   Why would you want to spoil it?  Waiting for the guy to say he was 1 or 2 as always when these conversations pop up.  I do remember kids in school saying that there was no Santa around when I was 5 or 6 but those households were entirely dysfunctional complete with no presents of any kind.  They were already on the road to a hard life and very few saw a detour to make things better.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

When my son was like 7, we put a bag of coal( maybe coal..where the hell do you get coal?) on the railing before you go downstairs addressed to him,  note from Santa, saying he was getting coal this year as he was not a good boy that year...

not a good idea! Poor kid burst into tears, traumatized, ran back to his room, crying his poor little eyes out...took us like 5 minutes to convince him it was a bad joke by the two awfullest parents in the world and cmon, look downstairs ..the real Santa left toys!

That’s actually really good parenting, IMO.  Teach your kid how to have a sense of humor!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Even worse... Some how my sister convinved Santa to physically do it!

My sister had Santa actually do that when my nephew was young.  About 20 years ago.  She was a single mom and my nephew was given her fits all year.

Flash to Christmas 1997:

Back then we would have Santa come in to my parent's house.  So, Santa whips out a hunk of bituminous coal and gives it to my nephew.  Then goes into a long list of my nephew's past transgressions!  My nephew just lost it... LOST it! Then my wife (granted his aunt, not our kid) lost it too!!! Total surprise.  Both were sobbing and shaking uncontrollably.  I think it traumatized my wife the most.  My wife was pregnant with our first child.  So she wasn't in the right emotional state to begin with.  Not in the mood for bad parenting. LoL

I mean my nephew absolutely lost IT... Again, my wife too.  The rest of my family was: "Like what?"  "What's the harm?"  "The kid had it coming."  LoL... I think Dr. Benjamin Spock died shortly after that Christmas.

Anyway... I was wondering, where the heck they got the hunk of coal.  Supposedly, my sister was visiting me in Chicago during the summer, I was giving them a tour at my work and she grabbed a hunk of coal off a barge as it was passing through.  She sent it to Santa.

Anyway... If I ever pulled a stunt like that with our kids, my wife would beat my azz... THEN leave me more broken with no money... LoL...

BTW... My nephew is 30 and can be still as wild as ever!! Lot's of other issues with his mother, my sister. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 12/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, plenzmd1 said:

His future therapist can thank you for the upgrade to his/her boat.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

I was four when I found out not that Santa Claus didn't exist, but that he was actually St. Nicholas, and died 1600 years ago.  Then told my entire kindergarten class that "Santa Claus doesn't exist, because he's dead."

I was a real special toddler.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I was four when I found out not that Santa Claus didn't exist, but that he was actually St. Nicholas, and died 1600 years ago.  Then told my entire kindergarten class that "Santa Claus doesn't exist, because he's dead."

I was a real special toddler.

when you were a kid i bet you got beat up alot

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember when. I was the 5th grade and all my friends still believed but some older friends of mine I grew up told me the truth. I had just got my license that summer and was driving my sister and I to school - it was show and tell day for her in the 2nd grade and my big science fair for all the elementary classes was coming up the next day so I'll never forget - but anyway, it was tough to tell her the truth. I was drinking my morning coffee before class contemplating life and relieved it was Thursday so I had two recesses to cope with this new realization.

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I remember when. I was the 5th grade and all my friends still believed but some older friends of mine I grew up told me the truth. I had just got my license that summer and was driving my sister and I to school - it was show and tell day for her in the 2nd grade and my big science fair for all the elementary classes was coming up the next day so I'll never forget - but anyway, it was tough to tell her the truth. I was drinking my morning coffee before class contemplating life and relieved it was Thursday so I had two recesses to cope with this new realization.

Did you drive the tractor to school ?