R. I. P. Mike Montler

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

He wasn't the starting center that year. It was originally Bruce Jarvis, but he tore up a knee and Montler stepped in and they didn't miss a beat. I believe Montler had played for the Patriots prior to the Bills and was brought in as a depth guy. 

Montler got the nod in 1973 when Bruce Jarvis was lost due to knee injury and started until 1977, think he was traded.

1 hour ago, GRHater69 said:

He wasn't the starting center that year. It was originally Bruce Jarvis, but he tore up a knee and Montler stepped in and they didn't miss a beat. I believe Montler had played for the Patriots prior to the Bills and was brought in as a depth guy. 

I had forgotten about Montler, RIP. That was a fun year to be a Bills fan, one that gave us hope. I do remember Jarvis, 6-7 285 and great potential. Unfortunately knee injuries cut it short. Here's an interesting article about him:

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Where-Are-They-Now-Bruce-Jarvis-1290493.php

Ten years after establishing the record, Jarvis received a bottle of Dom Perignon and a laudatory note from Simpson.

On the 20th anniversary, everyone was summoned to Buffalo, seated in owner Ralph Wilson's box and saluted at halftime of a Bills game. Jarvis remembers introducing his wife, Cindy, to Simpson, and his famous teammate oddly noting similarities between her and his former spouse. Six months later, Simpson was arrested for the murders of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman and later acquitted in a sensational trial.