Have you ever coached a sport?

Mr Wild

Hoops, boys and girls senior high school teams

the difference was striking,

when the boys were destroying a bad team the starters asked to come out, when I played  against a hopeless team I didn’t even want to be out there for more than 3 minutes

when the girls started one game up 20-0 they got upset that I called off the full court press, they would have gladly won 129-0 without a trace of shame or sportsmanship 

think Cheryl Miller crowing about scoring 100 on a totally hapless team; if a guy was going for 100 against me I would have made sure he left the game badly hurt from me undercutting him

Rec league hoops. Elementary school kids. They were young and before each 4 minute war you’d line up and tell each kid who they were to guard. One kid, our “big” guy, turned to me and said “no, he’s too big, I won’t do it”. I did what I could do, I put my son, our smallest kid, on the giant. He had an older brother and knew nothing of fear. 

My son went all Pitt bull on him as they tried to feed him down low. That led to turnovers and my kid had like 30 points. I didn’t realize the asst coach talked to the parents of the kid who refused to guard the big guy, but at the next practice I was handed a piece of notebook paper with a hand written note on it. I thought it was cool the parents at least made him apologize, until I realized it was from THE PARENTS! “Little jimmy is used to playing at the league at the YMCA where he always has the ball in his hands and gets to score all the points”. 

He was forever known as the Little Gunner Boy, and I’m not sure if he ever reached 5 feet tall. WAY too much wrapped up in the hoopster identity! Crazy azz parents need to get a grip. 

(My kids played mostly AAU, but in another rec league setting, I caught this dad cheating, playing his kid almost all the minutes. When confronted, he said “what am I supposed to do? the rest of those kids can’t play!” I responded “this is about teaching kids a game and character, NOT HOW TO CHEAT!”)

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I coached youth soccer when my son was in 4th and 5th grade.

Can’t really call it coaching.  More like babysitting a dozen kids on a field for an hour twice a week.

At that age, at least the kids are more likely to play position.  It's always fun to watch the wee ones playing hockey or soccer, where it's pretty much a dust ball of arms/legs as the kids chase the puck or ball.

I was the assistant coach for my son's house league team in baseball, ages 9-10.  The head coach looked after the more capable players, he being very successful as a player when he was young.  I was there as the liaison to players like myself at that age - "please, God, don't let them hit the ball to me!"

26 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At that age, at least the kids are more likely to play position.  It's always fun to watch the wee ones playing hockey or soccer, where it's pretty much a dust ball of arms/legs as the kids chase the puck or ball.

I was the assistant coach for my son's house league team in baseball, ages 9-10.  The head coach looked after the more capable players, he being very successful as a player when he was young.  I was there as the liaison to players like myself at that age - "please, God, don't let them hit the ball to me!"

I hung around and shagged balls, etc. for youth basketball and baseball for my son, and softball for my daughter. That was a blast.  No responsibilities, just laugh at the kids trying to play without a clue. 

• Like (+1) 1

I coached ice hockey at different levels for about 14 years, from 5 year old mites through 18 year olds on a travel team. The travel team made it to the NYS championship tournament one year in April, but our 3 best players couldn’t play because they had to show up for high school baseball and lacrosse practices or else they’d be kicked off their teams, and they were trying to get college scholarships.

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I coached youth soccer when my son was in 4th and 5th grade.

Can’t really call it coaching.  More like babysitting a dozen kids on a field for an hour twice a week.

Another Dad and I ‘coached’ our second grade girls soccer team this fall.  It was mostly about making sure everyone had fun, nursing boo-boos, and keeping the subs from running off to the playground.  It was a blast.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

Hoops, boys and girls senior high school teams

the difference was striking,

when the boys were destroying a bad team the starters asked to come out, when I played  against a hopeless team I didn’t even want to be out there for more than 3 minutes

when the girls started one game up 20-0 they got upset that I called off the full court press, they would have gladly won 129-0 without a trace of shame or sportsmanship 

think Cheryl Miller crowing about scoring 100 on a totally hapless team; if a guy was going for 100 against me I would have made sure he left the game badly hurt from me undercutting him

That's a very interesting comment.

So women have some type of competitive, go for the jugular thing inside them that men do not.

Hmmm.

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That's a very interesting comment.

So women have some type of competitive, go for the jugular thing inside them that men do not.

Hmmm.

Jugular is not really the thing here, some kind of uppper level of shame and embarrassment that leads to a serious fight was not in the girls mindset 

in football friends went out to deliberately hurt opponents and humiliate them, one sharpened the screws on his helmet and the opposing QB tore his hand for many stiches

the officials went over his helmet for ten minutes but couldn’t find anything, I never asked how he did it