Bills have released Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes

YoloinOhio

Just now, K-9 said:

Nothing against you or your post personally, but I’ve never liked the term “letting them walk” when it comes to UFAs. Once they played out their contracts, the players were in total control of their futures. We simply weren’t in a position to “let” them do anything. Or not.

Point granted, but will you grant the counter-point that if one values a player, a team re-negotiates before the player plays out his contract?

If he gets the point where he's played out his contract and reaches FA, the team has effectively "let him walk"

I do see your point though, that it's imprecise language

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I agree that letting woods walk was problematic. I also think Goodwin was underutilized and would have been nice to keep. 

Can't say I am with you on Watkins though. He really hasn't done anything to prove himself more than a highly paid, highly talented JAG. 

That's why my point on Watkins was: if the team wants to move on, why not trade him in FA or early in trading camp, and make a push to sign a quality WR?

Just now, wppete said:

I love the move. We have a lot of speed at WR right now. I like what we have at WR.

Speed kills, but only if they haul in the pigskin.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's why my point on Watkins was: if the team wants to move on, why not trade him in FA or early in trading camp, and make a push to sign a quality WR?

Great question. I think that was mismanaged. I mean... We did have Zay Jones and eventually Jordan Matthews... So... We're kinda a big deal. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Point granted, but will you grant the counter-point that if one values a player, a team re-negotiates before the player plays out his contract?

If he gets the point where he's played out his contract and reaches FA, the team has effectively "let him walk"

I do see your point though, that it's imprecise language

Fair enough.

I can see the conversation that lead to Andre Holmes release right now

McDermott addressing the team:  “Does anyone here believe Kelvin deserves to be on this team?”

<Holmes raises his hand to support his fellow receiver>

McDermott:  “OK, Benjamin and Holmes are both released. Does anyone else believe Benjamin deserves to be on this team?”

<crickets>

• Haha (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I can see the conversation that lead to Andre Holmes release right now

McDermott addressing the team:  “Does anyone here believe Kelvin deserves to be on this team?”

<Holmes raises his hand to support his fellow receiver>

McDermott:  “OK, Benjamin and Holmes are both released. Does anyone else believe Benjamin deserves to be on this team?”

<crickets>

Clay tried to raise his hands but couldn't remember how to use them... 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Great question. I think that was mismanaged. I mean... We did have Zay Jones and eventually Jordan Matthews... So... We're kinda a big deal. 

Zay seems to be coming along nicely.  And no one can complain about lack of hustle.  If only he doesn't strip off and break windows for Jesus in future offseasons.

The whole Jordan Matthews etc thing just has me jittery about our ability to scout offensive talent.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Zay seems to be coming along nicely.  And no one can complain about lack of hustle.  If only he doesn't strip off and break windows for Jesus in future offseasons.

The whole Jordan Matthews etc thing just has me jittery about our ability to scout offensive talent.

Matthews value was definitely overestimated. I feel like if he had been healthy he could have been a nice possession guy. 

16 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That would be the "They only have one WR on the practice squad" they didn't need to open a roster spot for because Bodine's on IR.  

well they brought Mike Love back up as well.

: )
 he made some plays rotating in when Murphy was ailing ?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Both points are valid.

i have concerns about scouting WRs and Offense in general at this point. Certainly not   a hater. just concerns.

Btw Jones is turning my opinion 180 degrees. all hustle and looking smarter on his routes.
I hope i was wrong again : )

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Matthews value was definitely overestimated. I feel like if he had been healthy he could have been a nice possession guy. 

we had 4 possession receivers at that point. 4 slot receivers if you will.
Beane and McD need to take some advice from Daboll moving forward. Dennison was a nut

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well OK then but who are we putting on the field?

I would rather they put anyone on the field.  Even a terrible athlete that tries hard is better than someone like Benjamin who collects a check and dogs it all game.