Generation X: Arcade Games You Kicked Ass At

Gugny

Arcade games in the 80s/early 90s.  Not video games you played at home.

One of the threads here made me think of the game, "Joust."  That was a game that I was insanely good at.

Some others:

Track and Field (the one where you had to hit the two buttons really fast to run, etc.)

Galaga

Tron

I really liked Q-Bert, but that game just pissed me off because I couldn't get very far.

I'm on the opposite end of that time range, but I lost many quarters to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game.  I miss those days of crowding around a machine and waiting until someone drops out.

I also tended to flock to pinball machines for whatever reason.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I actually went to this really cool arcade in Austin. An entire section of classic arcade games. I was always good at Pole Position and Tapper, the heavily commercialized bartending game from Budweiser.

Forgot about Pole Position.  I was good at that, too.

Another game that used to piss me off to no end was Dig Dug.

Success for me was playing for a long time for a quarter, as opposed to being dispatched in less than 3 minutes like I know a lot of the games were designed for.  (I gave up playing Gauntlet for this reason, all it did was vacuum coins) 

Off the cuff, these are the arcade games I can remember playing for along time on a single quarter: 

Ikari Warriors

Elevator Action (as long as it was not internally set to Hard)

Crazy Climber

Double Dragon

Donkey Kong

Mr. Do

Dig Dug

Galaga (another game that varied greatly in difficulty based on settings, in particular shooting speed)

Bust-a-move

Out Run

Konami Super Basketball

Golden Axe

vs Tennis (Nintendo arcade game)

10 Yard Fight

I'm sure I'm missing a million others

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Arcade games in the 80s/early 90s.  Not video games you played at home.

One of the threads here made me think of the game, "Joust."  That was a game that I was insanely good at.

Some others:

Track and Field (the one where you had to hit the two buttons really fast to run, etc.)

Galaga

Tron

I really liked Q-Bert, but that game just pissed me off because I couldn't get very far.

hitting hyperburst in the 100m of Track & Field was the best when your competitor couldn't get there

RBI Baseball, except when the jerk you were playing leaned in on you as he moved the pitch on the screen

Pole Position, never got the machine that had Judas Priest inside

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Battlezone

Asteroids

Galaga

Galaxian

Space Invaders

Centipede

Used to really like Gravitar, but it was really tough.

You just reminded me of another one .... Sinistar.  Cool game.  "Run, coward ...."

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I can't answer this I'm a millennial

@ExiledInIllinois

I am glad you are finally 12 stepping it:

It's always that FIRST step that's the killler!

"My name is Boyst and I am a Millennial...."

Hello! BOYST!

Glad you are taking that FIRST step Boyst!

It's really easy!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Tetris and its variations, the strangest waste of time to stand there and play, much more enjoyable on the computer

Police Trainer, got on a roll some nights with a steady hand and it was pure bliss

Arkanoid

RBI Baseball against the computer where it would whip you with 10 runs if you got 9 in the top of the inning

I had an uncle who owned a Ms. Pac-man machine.  I was always horrible at Pac-man games, but there was nothing more satisfying than opening up the unlocked coin area and hitting the little lever that got you the next game.

42 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kid Chameleon.

Yes... That was an arcade box.  Little later but on a console

Oh... LoL... I just re-read OP title. Kid Chameleon kicked MY ASS. 

I still kicked those dragon's ***** in Adventure though, and still made that toady bat do what I wanted it to do!

?

EDIT:  How come the plural of: Ass is filtered.  That makes no sense.

Ass

???

220px-Coleco_Electronic_Quarterback.jpg

Picked up one of those retro versions at Kohl's a bunch of years ago.  It came all back like that!

I was knifing though the D on #2 like a hot Josh Allen through butter after the 12th game.

Then ran into this:

|

|

|

How the hell do you get around those Mutha-Ph***kers!

Like playing against the NFL referees and still trying to beat the Cheaters!

Nice!

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, shrader said:

I had an uncle who owned a Ms. Pac-man machine.  I was always horrible at Pac-man games, but there was nothing more satisfying than opening up the unlocked coin area and hitting the little lever that got you the next game.

My uncle (RIP) usually had 3-4 pinball machines in his basement, he would refurbish them and resell. It was cool like you said, opening up the door and hitting the coin lever. 

I was always really good at bubble hockey. Beat anybody who came my way. Till one day, Mr. Lindy Ruff happened to be at the same bar I was. It was in Cheektowaga i think. I was like 19, and shouldn't have even been in the bar. But I walked up to him and really politely asked him if he wouldn't mind playing against me. Kicked my ass like 5-0. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I actually went to this really cool arcade in Austin. An entire section of classic arcade games. I was always good at Pole Position and Tapper, the heavily commercialized bartending game from Budweiser.

Disney used to have an arcade named “Quest” that had every game you could think of. It was great. And then they got rid of it. ?

Mortal Kombat II. There was a period of time when I was the arcade attendant at the local bowling alley and had the keys to put free credits on the machines. 

Before that I used to play Pigskin quite a bit. I was never that great at it, but it was a fun game.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Kung Fu, Mortal Kombat, Spy Hunter, Rampage.

rampage was my jam.  also loved golden axe, the original star wars game, (the sit down one), tmnt, and the simpson arcade game.  as others have said i'm sure there's more, but those jump out at me. 

concerning rampage, i bought this little number for my home office.  worth every penny.

0a130918-474a-4dab-9520-ec54c4bc956a_9.4

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, teef said:

rampage was my jam.  also loved golden axe, the original star wars game, (the sit down one), tmnt, and the simpson arcade game.  as others have said i'm sure there's more, but those jump out at me. 

concerning rampage, i bought this little number for my home office.  worth every penny.

0a130918-474a-4dab-9520-ec54c4bc956a_9.4

That's epic.

If  i could find a missile command machine, I'd be all over that.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Anyone remember Dragon's Lair?  I used to be able to finish that game.  It was at a local supermarket, of all places.  That game and Donkey Kong Jr., which I loved.

I remember as a kid playing Ms. Pac Man at the local Pizza Hut. They had one of the two-seater table-style games.

Awesome.

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's epic.

If  i could find a missile command machine, I'd be all over that.

ad06a3a1-36b5-4250-8327-9023c25bf5b9_9.4

check it out!  second game down.  these mini arcades, (they're only 48 inches tall) have 4 games they come with.  it's amazing how will it plays and feels.  just like a shrunken old school arcade game.  $300 at walmart, gamestop, target, etc.

1 minute ago, teef said:

ad06a3a1-36b5-4250-8327-9023c25bf5b9_9.4

check it out!  second game down.  these mini arcades, (they're only 48 inches tall) have 4 games they come with.  it's amazing how will it plays and feels.  just like a shrunken old school arcade game.  $300 at walmart, gamestop, target, etc.

YES with the rollerball! Man I love those games.