Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

On 12/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fan mail bag question to Chris Brown:

1 – From @StevenKubitza: Is Josh Allen running so much due to a lack of production from the backs, or just because it is part of his game?

CB: Most of Josh Allen’s runs are not by design. There are a few read option plays in the game plan each week, but by and large, and coach Daboll has confirmed this, most of his runs are off scramble plays that were pass play calls.

There are multiple reasons Allen is doing as much running as he is. First, at this point in Allen’s career he trusts what he can get with his legs more than he trusts what he’s seeing in coverage on a pass play.

Not all the time, but enough of the time.

So as he’s surveying the field, he’s looking to make a play with his arm, but if he’s not sure, in his head he knows he can get at least six to eight yards with his legs based on the space in front of him and he takes it. He’s also had to take off and run because of poor protection.

That’s not a terrible thing right now at this stage of his development. We do have to remember he has only started eight games.

In time however, he will need to read coverages better and have a plan with contingencies pre-snap, before the play unfolds, so he has multiple answers at his disposal as the play unfolds. This will make him a more effective player in the pocket.

Allen isn’t running because the backs aren’t having any success. He’s running because of where his development is in reading defenses and his ability to do so.

Good points except the last one which I think is wrong.  The lack of a running game combined with to many 1st down penalties means we're in 1st & 2nd and long way to much.  This put's pressure on Allen to try to get some of the yards back as a way to avoid 3rd & long. 

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Good points except the last one which I think is wrong.  The lack of a running game combined with to many 1st down penalties means we're in 1st & 2nd and long way to much.  This put's pressure on Allen to try to get some of the yards back as a way to avoid 3rd & long. 

It's exactly right. Allen has been having a great deal of success running in empty sets against man coverage with DBs having their backs turned to allow for huge chunks of yardage. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's exactly right. Allen has been having a great deal of success running in empty sets against man coverage with DBs having their backs turned to allow for huge chunks of yardage. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's not taking off from the pocket to pad our rushing stats.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I agree as to the why he's getting yards my only point was that he takes off and runs in part because on 2nd & 15 (no gain run followed by a false start) he's desperate to get it to 3rd & 5. 

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's not taking off from the pocket to pad our rushing stats.

Most of his rushing yards aren't coming from designed plays unlike those by Lamar Jackson. 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree as to the why he's getting yards my only point was that he takes off and runs in part because on 2nd & 15 (no gain run followed by a false start) he's desperate to get it to 3rd & 5. 

He'll take off when opportunities are presented to him as he should regardless of down and distance. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, The_Dude said:

How'd Josh do today? I didn't watch and box scores typically don't tell the tale with Josh. 

I think this was one of his best games. He had legitimately 100 yards dropped on one drive. We got a good one. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jones 1 reception on 6 targets.

Foster 4 on 5. 

Starting to think its going to be a new #1, new TE, with Foster & Jones maybe working out of the slot, although a shiftier athlete is better suited in that role, leaving Zay the odd man out. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree that today was probably his best game yet even though the stats won't show it. He stayed in the pocket for the most part and had some big time throws, like the TD to Foster and the pass to Croom on the last drive. But these drops.......arghhhh....not his fault, but he had a lot of drops in college as well. Just frustrating to see.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I second (third?) the comment that this was Josh's best passing game. If we had Golladay instead of Zay, I think we'd be talking about that elusive 300 yard game.  Well, maybe 270 ... lots of nice touch passes, a bunch of balls that were right there for the catching even if they ultimately weren't hauled in. Some really good progress today...

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

How'd Josh do today? I didn't watch and box scores typically don't tell the tale with Josh. 

It seems he was told to throw first and keep the running down.

He had a couple of balls he put some air under that were pretty.

Had those drops again but had some really nice mid ranged over the middle passes.

He took another step forward......so on to NE!

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I second (third?) the comment that this was Josh's best passing game. If we had Golladay instead of Zay, I think we'd be talking about that elusive 300 yard game.  Well, maybe 270 ... lots of nice touch passes, a bunch of balls that were right there for the catching even if they ultimately weren't hauled in. Some really good progress today...

I said the same thing about Golladay. That guy made Stafford look good today. I hope we can get Josh a big time WR and TE.

12 hours ago, DJB said:

Most of his throws could have been caught today. He had a couple throwaways but the majority of his passes were good. 

The almost INT was his worst pass of the day

The deep pass to DT could have been caught.  The pass OTM to Zay should have been along with one more at least that I would call a drop. 

14 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It seems he was told to throw first and keep the running down.

He had a couple of balls he put some air under that were pretty.

Had those drops again but had some really nice mid ranged over the middle passes.

He took another step forward......so on to NE!

I don’t think he was told to throw first and keep the running down - I believe that is what the Lions defense dictated.

The Lions were running their version of the NE/NYJ defense used against Tyrod - slow rush from the edges - pressure the middle - keep a LB/safety near the middle to spy.  It was designed to try and minimize escape lanes and prevent him from running and make him beat you from the pocket.

The difference is Allen did just that - he made the plays with his arm from the pocket to win.  A little help from his own receivers or a PI call for Zay when he tried coming back for the ball and his numbers look better and they force the defense to react - maybe opening those lanes back up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1