President George HW Bush has died

Just Jack

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

There is medical proof that people can die from "broken hearts."  This is very common in older folks who lost their spouse after decades of marriage.  It causes chemical imbalances.  I knew he wasn't going to last much longer after Barbara passed.  Happened to my grandfather as well.

And my grandfather as well

My grandmother had a series of heart attacks around age 90 and my grandfather could not really care after her.  He was not in poor health but by age 90 most people have slowed down quite a bit.  So my Dad had them put into a nursing home after many arguments and alot of guilt.  It was one of those "senior centers" type places that wasn't a totally depressing nursing home but at it's core it is what it is.  They had suites available for married couples and my grandmother could get the medical supervision she needed.

Over the next two years or so my grandmother had a couple more heart attacks and eventually passed away

Maybe about a year after she had passed away my parents went for a visit.  We didn't just throw grandma and grandpa in a nursing home and forget about them.  My parents would visit them a couple times a week, and if my brother or I were home from college we would stop by for a visit.  When my parents visited they would always ask if anyone else in the family or any of his friends had stopped for a visit. 

My parents told me the last time they visited my grandfather, he mentioned that my grandmother stopped by and he was looking forward to seeing her again.  At the time they kinda brushed that off as him being lonely and trying to cope with the nearing anniversary of my grandmothers death

That night he passed away in his sleep

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

RIP to an honorable WW II veteran and a man who handled to office of President of the United States with dignity, grace and professionalism.

You sure about that?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c02c98be4b04fb211688aef

"...Bush, as you may not know, once used the Drug Enforcement Agency to lure a black high school student to Lafayette Park near the White House to make a drug buy that the president would use to illustrate a public health crisis on national TV. 

The student, 19-year-old Keith Jackson, received a 10-year prison sentence, as University of Baltimore assistant history professor Joshua Clark Davis detailed in a series of viral tweets

From his desk in Oval Office on Sept. 5, 1989, Bush held up a bag of the rocky white substance and declared: “This is crack cocaine, seized a few days ago in a park across the street from the White House.”

It could have “easily” been heroin or PCP, he said.

...As DEA agent William McMullan told the paper outright, “We had to manipulate him to get him down there. It wasn’t easy.” 

...He used you, in the sense of making a big drug speech,” Sporkin said, per The Washington Post. “But he’s a decent man, a man of great compassion. Maybe he can find a way to reduce at least some of that sentence.”

Jackson’s sentence was not commuted. He was released in 1998, according to the Washington City Paper."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You sure about that?

"...Bush, as you may not know, once used the Drug Enforcement Agency to lure a black high school student to Lafayette Park near the White House to make a drug buy that the president would use to illustrate a public health crisis on national TV. 

The student, 19-year-old Keith Jackson, received a 10-year prison sentence, as University of Baltimore assistant history professor Joshua Clark Davis detailed in a series of viral tweets

From his desk in Oval Office on Sept. 5, 1989, Bush held up a bag of the rocky white substance and declared: “This is crack cocaine, seized a few days ago in a park across the street from the White House.”

...As DEA agent William McMullan told the paper outright, “We had to manipulate him to get him down there. It wasn’t easy.” 

...He used you, in the sense of making a big drug speech,” Sporkin said, per The Washington Post. “But he’s a decent man, a man of great compassion. Maybe he can find a way to reduce at least some of that sentence.”

Jackson’s sentence was not commuted. He was released in 1998, according to the Washington City Paper."

I was unaware of this and don't even know if it's true.  What I do know is that I was never not proud to be an American while he was in office and I proudly joined the Navy while he was our President.  I wouldn't do that today and I certainly am not proud to be an American today.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You sure about that?

Yeah, I'm sure Bush gave a direct order to someone to "go trick a black kid into selling drugs across the street" .

I love when people are intentionally obtuse just to make a lame political comment.  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yeah, I'm sure Bush gave a direct order to someone to "go trick a black kid into selling drugs across the street" .

I love when people are intentionally obtuse just to make a lame political comment.  :rolleyes:

Harry (even with his own warts) H.W. was not:

1*VzeSntFmfqt6r2lOH8ar6g.jpeg

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

RIP. Thoughts and prayers to his family. 

I may not have always agreed with his politics or everything he did, but I respected him. 

We got one hell of a "baseline" in 2018.

I'd go back to the 1988 baseline in split second.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/1/2018 at 8:26 AM, sherpa said:

I guess with your experience of flying a torpedo bomber off of a light aircraft carrier during war, you are able to state that he "never worked a day in his life."

I am sure he has a lot of experience with bombs - bombing out!

22 hours ago, Mark80 said:

There is medical proof that people can die from "broken hearts."  This is very common in older folks who lost their spouse after decades of marriage.  It causes chemical imbalances.  I knew he wasn't going to last much longer after Barbara passed.  Happened to my grandfather as well.

I always like GW and felt he got a bad rap for the economy that wasn't his fault but more a result of Reagan's policies or the cyclical nature of the economy in general.  Should have never said "Read my lips" during the campaign.  That is what cost him the most. 

It happened to my aunt. She took care of my uncle at home rather than putting him in assisted living home and his health got worse and worse even with home care aid.  Shortly after he died she died and after being together 70+ years they are together again.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was unaware of this and don't even know if it's true.  What I do know is that I was never not proud to be an American while he was in office and I proudly joined the Navy while he was our President.  I wouldn't do that today and I certainly am not proud to be an American today.

Well that’s pretty damn sad. Whoever sits in the Oval Office should never make you not proud of this the greatest nation on earth. 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

If you're not proud to be an American then why not move?  So many people claim B.S. like this but will never actually do anything about it.  Bottom line is the U.S.A is still the greatest country on the planet and everyone that says things like this knows it.  If not people would actually be moving out of the country.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, Pete said:

he never worked a day in his life and was gifted a job as head of CIA.  He also issued executive order 12803 which pimped out our countries assets to highest bidder.  ***** him and his family.  This morning I am sipping Grand Marnier Cuvee du Cent Cinquantenaire - Cheers!

Classy post!  I will be raising a Labatt Blue with my fellow Bills fans today and remembering a genuinely good American that devoted his life to the country.  But enjoy your Grand Marnier du Spite Douchebagenaire.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, Pete said:

he never worked a day in his life and was gifted a job as head of CIA.  He also issued executive order 12803 which pimped out our countries assets to highest bidder.  ***** him and his family.  This morning I am sipping Grand Marnier Cuvee du Cent Cinquantenaire - Cheers!

That's cold. :lol:

May he RIP.

40 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

If you're not proud to be an American then why not move?  So many people claim B.S. like this but will never actually do anything about it.  Bottom line is the U.S.A is still the greatest country on the planet and everyone that says things like this knows it.  If not people would actually be moving out of the country.

Claim BS?  I said I'm not proud to be an American.  I'm not.  I agree that America always has been, and still is, the greatest nation on earth.  This is just another example of extremism.

Why must it be all or nothing? "You're an American, so you WILL love our president and if you don't like him, then get out!!!"  That kind of sentiment is un-American, don't you see?

I love my country.  I hate the president of my country.  I was a proud American until he took office and I'll be a proud American when his time is done; I just won't be proud as long as he is in office.

And there's not a damn thing wrong - or un-American - about that.

Peace, brother.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You sure about that?

I didn't vote for Bush. Let me state that up front. But the clip you cited makes it seem that Bush personally ordered this entrapment arrest. That's far from the truth. It wouldn't have surprised me if he asked the DEA or staff members to get him an example of a drug arrest near the White House to highlight a point, and to extent a political point. The notion that he personally ordered this entrapment drug arrest is preposterous. The case as it is detailed is an example of an entrapment case by the police, not him. 

What you have done here is take an actual situation and stretch it out beyond the actual facts of the case to the point that it is a falsehood. 

1 hour ago, Zebrastripes said:

After the last election I could have swore Alec Baldwin, Samuel L. Jackson and Cher among others said they were going to leave the country  or something to that effect if Trump won. As far as I know all of them are still here.