President George HW Bush has died

Just Jack

Predictable, yet dismaying that political passions cannot be put aside to simply acknowledge the life of a decent, dignified human being. Plenty of other venues to voice dissent from contemporary leaders. As a conservative, I found plenty to disagree with Ted Kennedy. His character could certainly be put in question. When he died, I was sorry for his family and prayed God would care for his soul. There's a time and a place for polemic and political argument. This ain't one of them.

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why must it be all or nothing? "You're an American, so you WILL love our president and if you don't like him, then get out!!!"  That kind of sentiment is un-American, don't you 

No one said you must love the president.  That's the great thing about this country.  We get to vote on who we want in office.  To say you're not proud to be an American though is extreme.  No matter who our president is I will always be proud to be a citizen of the greatest nation on earth.  To me your reaction to our president is the same as a toddler throwing a temper tantrum because you didn't get your way.  Suck it up and quit whining about the fact. 

5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

No one said you must love the president.  That's the great thing about this country.  We get to vote on who we want in office.  To say you're not proud to be an American though is extreme.  No matter who our president is I will always be proud to be a citizen of the greatest nation on earth.  To me your reaction to our president is the same as a toddler throwing a temper tantrum because you didn't get your way.  Suck it up and quit whining about the fact. 

See, that's the thing ... I'm not whining.  I simply said I'm not currently proud to be an American.  There's no rant; no kicking; no screaming; and no whining.  Nor do I think it's extreme.  I'm not saying I hate our country.  I love our country.  I am proud of what our country has been, what its done and what its represented.  I just don't feel that way today.  And, as you stated, that's the beauty of our country.  I can feel this way, and I can express it without fear.  That's one reason I love our country.  Right now, however, I'm simply not proud at what our country currently represents.  No tantrum.  Just my individual feelings.  Where the tantrums come in is when I have people suggesting I leave the country because of how I feel.  That's ludicrous.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

See, that's the thing ... I'm not whining.  I simply said I'm not currently proud to be an American.  There's no rant; no kicking; no screaming; and no whining.  Nor do I think it's extreme.  I'm not saying I hate our country.  I love our country.  I am proud of what our country has been, what its done and what its represented.  I just don't feel that way today.  And, as you stated, that's the beauty of our country.  I can feel this way, and I can express it without fear.  That's one reason I love our country.  Right now, however, I'm simply not proud at what our country currently represents.  No tantrum.  Just my individual freedoms.  Where the tantrums come in is when I have people suggesting I leave the country because of how I feel.  That's ludicrous.

So this is the first time you have ever said this before?

18 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

So this is the first time you have ever said this before?

It is, indeed.  I've had my own differences with every president I can remember.  But I never, until now, had no respect for the President of the United States.  Never even came close to feeling the way I feel today. 

My feelings go far beyond political differences or how I feel about policies, etc. 

One thing that I've always firmly believed is that the person holding that office always wanted what was best for our country - even if I disagreed with how he was going about it.  I never once, in the past, thought that a President was making decisions for personal gain, or without considering how those decisions would affect the U.S., or even the world as a whole.

Today, that is exactly how I feel and yes - it's the first time, ever.

It was during President Reagan's second run that I actually began paying attention and discussing with family and friends.  I had the utmost respect for him, GHWB, Clinton, GWB and Obama.  So, clearly, this has nothing to do with the party; it has to do with the individual.  And to even mention this current winner in the same sentence as someone like GHWB is ridiculous to me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I didn't vote for Bush. Let me state that up front. But the clip you cited makes it seem that Bush personally ordered this entrapment arrest. That's far from the truth. It wouldn't have surprised me if he asked the DEA or staff members to get him an example of a drug arrest near the White House to highlight a point, and to extent a political point. The notion that he personally ordered this entrapment drug arrest is preposterous. The case as it is detailed is an example of an entrapment case by the police, not him. 

What you have done here is take an actual situation and stretch it out beyond the actual facts of the case to the point that it is a falsehood. 

Fair enough. If that was the case, He could have at least pardoned him.

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It is, indeed.  I've had my own differences with every president I can remember.  But I never, until now, had no respect for the President of the United States.  Never even came close to feeling the way I feel today. 

My feelings go far beyond political differences or how I feel about policies, etc. 

One thing that I've always firmly believed is that the person holding that office always wanted what was best for our country - even if I disagreed with how he was going about it.  I never once, in the past, thought that a President was making decisions for personal gain, or without considering how those decisions would affect the U.S., or even the world as a whole.

Today, that is exactly how I feel and yes - it's the first time, ever.

It was during President Reagan's second run that I actually began paying attention and discussing with family and friends.  I had the utmost respect for him, GHWB, Clinton, GWB and Obama.  So, clearly, this has nothing to do with the party; it has to do with the individual.  And to even mention this current winner in the same sentence as someone like GHWB is ridiculous to me.

Fair enough everybody is entitled to their own opinion that's what's great about this country.  Just saying you're not proud to be an American struck a nerve with me because being an American goes much further then just who our president is.  I would have never said anything if you said you were not proud of our president because that is your right as an American.  Not being proud to be an American is a completely different idea then not being proud of our president.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, Limeaid said:

I agreed with one news site said "You may not agree with the politics but you respected the man."

Goodbye WWII warrior and respectable man.

He was a good man.  He was also the youngest US pilot  in WWII  at 18.

He truly served his country in many ways RIP.