Jags Fire Hackett and Have Benched Bortles for Kessler

26CornerBlitz

Smells of St Doug being told what moves to make with his staff, or desperate to save his job by throwing Hackett out there as sacrificial scapegoat in desperate move to save his job.  Neither a great look.

Hacket was so horrible when he was here.  At least with fournette, his 2 yds and a cloud of dust became >2 yds and a cloud of dust.  

• Like (+1) 2

Guess I'm in the minority (as usual) - I think he's a decent coach.  This move reflects a ton of pressure on Marrone - I suspect Coughlin grilled him last night about how he was going to fix the offense, and Marrone responded by saying he'd take the reigns himself, and Coughlin said, "In that case, what do we need Hackett for?"  Or something like that.  It's kind of an odd firing considering Hackett was running Marrone's offense to begin with - it would've been like Rex firing Thurman, what would be the point?  

This tells me Marrone is a goner if they don't have some sort of offensive explosion over the next few weeks, which I just don't see happening.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

lol I thought he called a pretty good game against us yesterday.  Just keep giving it to Fournette, why not?  Esp. with Bortles as your QB.

He did for the most part, but he went to the "well" too many times. Like that 3rd and 1 in the 3rd quarter. The Bills basically blitzed 11 guys up the middle haha as everyone in the stadium knew they were giving it to Fournette up the middle. 

In saying that, he shouldn't have been fired. Marrone did it to take pressure off himself and buy some more time.

Edited by billsfan11

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

He did for the most part, but he went to the "well" too many times. Like that 3rd and 1 in the 3rd quarter. The Bills basically blitzed 11 guys up the middle haha as everyone in the stadium knew they were giving it to Fournette up the middle. 

In saying that, he shouldn't have been fired. Marrone did it to take pressure off himself and buy some more time.

BF, the jags run-run-run on their final series against Pitt last week was stupefying given the importance of getting a first down in that situation.

Silly the way they call plays down there.

• Like (+1) 1

Breaking up is hard to do. Even when your worse half continually brings you down. First McD finally had to rid himself of his torrid Peterman love affair. Then Dorsey breaks Hue's heart and leaves him for a Baker,  now Marrone finally gives in and lets go of his boy toy Hackett.  If Rex could have cut out slob job Rob he may have still had a job. Who's next on Lover's Leap?  

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

BF, the jags run-run-run on their final series against Pitt last week was stupefying given the importance of getting a first down in that situation.

Silly the way they call plays down there.

Oh I agree. I don't think Hackett is a good coach. I just think there are way bigger problems on that team and he was a scapegoat.

For one: On offence they were down 2 lineman mostly the whole year, their top 2 tight ends, they got rid of their top 2 receivers in the off season, Fournette missing tons of time this year, and they have a QB who can barely complete a 3 yard pass.

On that last series against Pitts, I also wonder how much of a factor Marrone played in that conservative play calling.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

They have lost 7 games in a row and average 17.9 points per game.  He was getting fired no matter what.  And Daboll should be on the hot seat as well.  I get being patient but it is also stupid to stay with an OC who really doesn’t have a great track record.  Is there anything special Hackett does?

also, I’m in the Kliff Kingsbury for nfl OC camp.  I think he can be an awesome OC if he just focuses on that.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

They have lost 7 games in a row and average 17.9 points per game.  He was getting fired no matter what.  And Daboll should be on the hot seat as well.  I get being patient but it is also stupid to stay with an OC who really doesn’t have a great track record.  Is there anything special Hackett does?

also, I’m in the Kliff Kingsbury for nfl OC camp.  I think he can be an awesome OC if he just focuses on that.

Nope I don't think Hackett is a good coach. I posted above my opinion on Hackett/the dysfunction. That would kind of tie into what I would say to your post.

But no, nothing special at all.

FWIW, with the Bills beating J'ville, the Jags tumultuous tumble from last year and upcoming cap woes, has put the Bills situation in a better light....

.....Leonard Fournette helped a lot with that too.   

Edited by I am the egg man