Charles Clay - back in 2019?

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

What is it with the O'Leary fascination?

I think he got himself cut with that preseason reception where he turned upfield and started sprinting like he was stuck in the mud. Just a very meh player with zero speed.

Star power?  After all, he is Jack Nicholson's nephew!  ?  So what if he runs like Fred Flintstone?!

16 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Clay hasn't done sh^t since he signed that contract. Waste of cap space and time to find a real TE.

Was my least favorite Whaley contract at the time. Although I could see why he put a premium on TEs.. but never overpay that much for any reason

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Star power?  After all, he is Jack Nicholson's nephew!  ?  So what if he runs like Fred Flintstone?!

Did you mean Nicklaus or is he also related to Jack Nicholson? Talk about star power.

I feel like I've heard the announcers mention he was related to Nicklaus a few(thousand) times. For that reason alone, I don't miss him.

Probably nothing in a trade.

I would just keep him. He's been a major disappointment, but he's still better than anyone else we have. Not the time to be cutting weapons for next to nothing in terms of cap savings.

The Bills should really address the position in a serious way this offseason, but I'd rather keep him around than cut him.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Cap hit of 9m and dead money of just 4.5 so there’s a solid cap savings to cutting him.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

There's no financial difference between trading Clay and releasing him. Also, pre-6/1 and post-6/1 makes no difference either.

So right you guys.  What I would hope for is after the Bills take the 4.5 Dead Cap hit any team would only pay 4.5 for the season.

Maybe a trade could be made to a team that thinks he was under utilized on a bad offensive team.

I'm hoping Beane can get a 2020 5th for him.

Clay has a cap hit of 4.5 million if cut. So the question is, is Charles Clay worth 4.5 million? I think considering that Clay is still a decent player and the high cost to replace him even with an average player is far above 4.5 million its likely the team will keep Clay and draft a tight end behind him to groom to take over the position in 2020. Personally I could go either way on Clay, I think at 4.5 million he is serviceable but if they decide to move on I won't be too upset.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

So right you guys.  What I would hope for is after the Bills take the 4.5 Dead Cap hit any team would only pay 4.5 for the season.

Maybe a trade could be made to a team that thinks he was under utilized on a bad offensive team.

I'm hoping Beane can get a 2020 5th for him.

...he may better plan to BUY a "5th" at his favorite liquor store....think he's a definite release.........

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's gone. Eat whatever is left on his contract.  He's as fragile as Sammy. Move on and develop Croom plus draft a guy. 

Maybe, but he’s probably tradable at least if someone is looking for that sort of player. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Was?

I didn’t mean it in the Bill Clinton context. Could still be the case 

19 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Clay hasn't done sh^t since he signed that contract. Waste of cap space and time to find a real TE.

What a completely, lazy worthless post.  He was our leading receiver.  I guess Woods sucked too.  Or maybe the Bills have had crappy qbs who couldn’t get the ball to our receivers.

clay is a good and versatile TE who was handcuffed by crappy throwing qbs and injuries.  He is gone and will probably sign with a good Team and be a really solid TE #2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Did you mean Nicklaus or is he also related to Jack Nicholson? Talk about star power.

I knew he was Nicklaus' grandson, but noticed a contributor had thrown Nicholson into the mix, whether accidentally or intentionally.  I picked it up and continue to run with it since I don't know when 'enough' is 'too much'.

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...he may better plan to BUY a "5th" at his favorite liquor store....think he's a definite release.........

Make sure it's one of those fancy 'Jim Beam' collector decanters...

22 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

We overpaid and are paying the price. Send him packing. 

That's kind of like taking a pitcher out after he's given up 5 runs through 2 innings.

At this point, I'd prefer they ride it out. I think he's a little underrated around these parts because we gave up too much to get him.