Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Charles Clay - back in 2019?

Recommended Posts

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any “vet” who cannot practice the entire week doesn’t deserve the kind of cash he makes. He’s gone. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the natural progression of things. I can think of a handful of big drops from the guy right off the top of my head. 

 

I dunno. I don’t think he would be missed a whole bunch. Doesn’t hurt having a vet TE in their for the youngsters though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clay hasn't done sh^t since he signed that contract. Waste of cap space and time to find a real TE.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

Sure hope so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His contract was so front loaded that he isn't making much next year. And I believe the dead cap and cap hit are the same. So it makes sense to just keep him. I like Maxx Williams and Jack Doyle in free agency. Tyler Krof and Jesse James are interesting as well. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Clay's health issues really degrade his value to the team.  Logan Thomas and Jason Croom have been growing and improving as players..  I think they are still somwhat underutilized by the Bills, but I don't think the Bills have missed Clay all that much when he's been out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

I don’t think injuries are the problem. He a high paid tight end that doesn’t produce. He has what; 5 catches this season for 100 yards? And a turnover to boot. His best years were in Miami. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why? Let’s pay players who can play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think TE is a huge underrated need for next year. I wouldn't mind taking one in the top 2 rounds, admittedly I don't know what the prospects look like this year. I would go into next season with Croom, a rookie, and bring in competition for Logan Thomas.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's signed one more year right? So usually I'd say you hang on to whoever best at the position until you can replace them with someone better. So you'd probably hang on to him into next offseason and try to make a change at the position through FA or the draft. I mean if you're confident you can maintain or improve from him while getting something worthwhile go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think TE is a huge underrated need for next year. I wouldn't mind taking one in the top 2 rounds, admittedly I don't know what the prospects look like this year. I would go into next season with Croom, a rookie, and bring in competition for Logan Thomas.

 

Yeah I think the position needs to be completely rebuilt and I would not be surprised if none of this editors guys are back. Thomas has definitely improved and I like what I saw in the Jets game. Croom is interesting, but he cannot block. The fact that a former QB blocks better, speaks volumes in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about Clay and his alleged disappointing play is that Whaley gave huge dollars to a player already in decline. The blame should go completely on Whaley.

 

Clay had a big year in his 3rd year in the league in 2013 where he had over 100 targets. I believe he would occasionally line up as a FB and he got named to the NFL Network's Top 100 that year. In his 4th year his targets and catches declined - not a good sign for a 25 year old who should have been entering his prime. 

 

Whaley paid him huge dollars like he was an elite TE which he never was. His first three years with the Bills were almost exactly the same from a production standpoint and he toughed his way through a number of nagging injuries, but the Bills paid huge $$$ to a guy who has one season out of eight that was above league average production.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think TE is a huge underrated need for next year. I wouldn't mind taking one in the top 2 rounds, admittedly I don't know what the prospects look like this year. I would go into next season with Croom, a rookie, and bring in competition for Logan Thomas.

 

Croom will stick - he is under contract and has big upside.

Thomas takes a baby step each year but never looks like more than a depth guy. The true #1 TE is not on the team.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Croom is athletic but he can't catch, run routes or block and he has ball security issues. I would rather start fresh with a draft pick and FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His contract was so front loaded that he isn't making much next year. And I believe the dead cap and cap hit are the same. So it makes sense to just keep him. I like Maxx Williams and Jack Doyle in free agency. Tyler Krof and Jesse James are interesting as well. 

 

Cap hit of 9m and dead money of just 4.5 so there’s a solid cap savings to cutting him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

 

Cap hit of 9m and dead money of just 4.5 so there’s a solid cap savings to cutting him.

Spotrac has the Bills current cap room at $9.3M. Can they just cut him now? :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cutting o'leary was a big mistake, imo.  he was sure handed and reliable

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles Clay should send Whaley a Birthday card every year for the rest of his life for giving him $35 Million...

 

2019 is the first time they can walk away from the deal so I expect it to happen..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Croom is athletic but he can't catch, run routes or block and he has ball security issues. I would rather start fresh with a draft pick and FA. 

 

Croom isn't great by any means but he knows the system and we need 3 TEs next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

He should be gone (and that has nothing to do with him being a "whaley guy"). He has underperformed when he has been on the field. We need a more reliable and available TE as blocker/outlet for Allen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He should be gone (and that has nothing to do with him being a "whaley guy"). He has underperformed when he has been on the field. We need a more reliable and available TE as blocker/outlet for Allen. 

Not so much that Whaley signed him but that he’s part of the old regime, and may not necessarily fit this new scheme. He really was brought in for Roman’s offense. He’s more of an Hback/TE.  I think he and Rex wanted to use him like Delanie Walker. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Not so much that Whaley signed him but that he’s part of the old regime, and may not necessarily fit this new scheme. He really was brought in for Roman’s offense. He’s more of an Hback/TE. 

If he was deemed to not be a fit, he would be long gone. This regime doesnt keep players around even if there is no good replacement. The fact that he has been here for two years since McD got here is testament to that thought. He hasnt done much in any role, which is why he should be gone. Get a viable replacement for him, and make sure that the new guy can block. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×