When should the Bills look at drafting another QB?

When do we look at drafting another QB?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Above

• This year if we aren’t too confident in Allen
    • Next year potentially
    • Have to give Allen 3 years no matter what

Take a mid-to-late round guy as a developmental project and potentially as a future backup.  Kind of like what Peterman should have been if they didn't push him in far before he was ready and ruined him.  If he shows promise, keep him as a QB3 or practice squad.  If he doesn't, you move on.  They have way too much invested in Allen to spend an early round pick on a QB, plus the drama and controversy it would create around the team would be a major hindrance.

55 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

After next season if looks like a bum 

I’d agree, if he looks really horrible. Unfortunately, it’s rarely that clear and simple. The worst case is if he’s middling and flashes enough potential you hate to cut the cord....and it drags out for too long. THAT is my fear. 

• Like (+1) 1

he has to show some type of improvement over the course of the rest of this year, (if he plays) and especially next year.  i still don't expect a finish product next year, but we need to see better than what we've seen so far.

Drafting a QB in round one of the 2018 draft just isn't going to happen.  If they draft one at alol, it would be to have him on the PS for emergencies.  I think they will try to sign Barkley to a 2-4 year contract in the off season.  I think Derek Anderson will not be offered an extension.  A QB on the PS could be handy to have if there are injuries.  He will know the system and serve as a backup should Allen get injured and Barkley has to start, and he won't cost a roster spot if that does not happen.  Look for a fifth rounder or later.

Should Josh Allen not demonstrate sufficient improvement, I could see the Bills starting to think about a highly drafted QB in 2020.

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d agree, if he looks really horrible. Unfortunately, it’s rarely that clear and simple. The worst case is if he’s middling and flashes enough potential you hate to cut the cord....and it drags out for too long. THAT is my fear. 

Something like 20 TD's/10 picks 3500 yards is not too much to ask. It's not great, but it would be good enough that we'd have some confidence going forward.

Anything less than that and we've got to seriously think about his long term future.