Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

don't agree with that at all. right strategic decisions and clock management are the same all the time...punting last year in the snow game classic example. Yes it worked, but just an awful decision that could have cost the Bills a playoff spot

They aren't the same.  As a coach, you have to have the talent to back those aggressive decisions and we haven't been there over the last two years offensively.  When you struggle to put up points and your defense has made turnovers and big stops recently, you tend to rely on your defense more.  It's easy to look at teams like the Steelers and all of these other high powered offensive teams and say why don't we play that aggressive.  You have to have the talent to play that aggressive or you can just as easily be leaving points out on the field.  I believe his decision making will change as our offense continues to improve.  It's just not as black and white as being aggressive or conservative.  

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I liked Lynn. I thought he did well on an interim basis here. That being said, he landed in a good spot with the Chargers. They still have Phillip Rivers performing at a high level, Melvin Gordon, and a solid defense. I'm glad he got an opportunity and he has done well with it, but it doesn't make me regret us not hiring him as our HC. 

In fact, Rivers, as evidenced last night, is already performing at Phil Rivers Playoff Level.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:38 PM, CardinalScotts said:

Do you want Lynn running this rebuild?

Breaking in a new qb, building the defense getting the cap situation fixed?

I like Lynn and I think he's a good coach but I don't think he had a plan on t he future.

If we hired Reich  we would be accused of "try to turn the clock back" or "living in the past" or "trying to sell tickets" etc- that was a move that would not have won with fans

likewise what's he rookie qb plan>?

plug in Rivers plug in Luck your off to a good start

Short answer is yes. I'd rather have an offensive minded coach mentoring a QB. Right now we have a guy who is hailed as a defensive genius but with a mixed record. He also hired a WR coach to be the QB coach and an OC with a history of the worst offenses in 20yrs and no QB development. We could have Darby, Glenn, and Watkins as more pieces to build around too.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post. 

It was kinda. 

To simplify it Lynn has done a good job there.

When Rivers falls off though they’re probably not going to be a very good team which will probably cost Lynn his job. Unless they have a decent quarterback ready to take over. 

The new stadium opens 2020 and you gotta sell tickets which isn’t easy to do in LA, gotta have a winning team or it won’t sell. If the Rams continue to be a top team and the chargers fall off or Rivers hits the Father Time wall there will be a lot of pressure. 

2 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I'd rather have Reich than Lynn but that being said McDermott is the right guy at the right time for the Bills.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

How could you know that?

I don't know that.  It's my opinion.  You could post "How could you know that?" after 90% of the content on this board.

I honestly think Lynn is the weak link on that team. They should be better than they are. There is a ton of talent on that team and a better head coach would make them super bowl contenders. Lynn did a good job of hiring some good assistants in Ken Wise hunt and Gus Bradley. That defensive staff is really good and there is a lot of talent there. The offensive staff is ok but I do like Wisenhunt. 

On 11/18/2018 at 12:25 PM, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

Probably because he has a fairly star studded team with an elite QB.  They SHOULD be where they are record wise.  Yeah they have underachieved the previous years but that doesn't make it a great coaching job to get a team to play up to their talent level. I would argue that McDermott is doing a better coaching job again this year to have this team lacking talent on offense with 5 wins.

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I honestly think Lynn is the weak link on that team. They should be better than they are. There is a ton of talent on that team and a better head coach would make them super bowl contenders. Lynn did a good job of hiring some good assistants in Ken Wise hunt and Gus Bradley. That defensive staff is really good and there is a lot of talent there. The offensive staff is ok but I do like Wisenhunt. 

I mean they had virtually the same team and missed the playoffs while we made it...how good of a job is it?

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

It was kinda. 

To simplify it Lynn has done a good job there.

When Rivers falls off though they’re probably not going to be a very good team which will probably cost Lynn his job. Unless they have a decent quarterback ready to take over. 

The new stadium opens 2020 and you gotta sell tickets which isn’t easy to do in LA, gotta have a winning team or it won’t sell. If the Rams continue to be a top team and the chargers fall off or Rivers hits the Father Time wall there will be a lot of pressure. 

Nobody wants the Chargers in LA...they are OK with the Rams who play 16 road games every year still, but the Chargers? Forget it. The team they really wanted were the Raiders.

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Probably because he has a fairly star studded team with an elite QB.  They SHOULD be where they are record wise.  Yeah they have underachieved the previous years but that doesn't make it a great coaching job to get a team to play up to their talent level. I would argue that McDermott is doing a better coaching job again this year to have this team lacking talent on offense with 5 wins.

Hey now, I can’t be held accountable to what I said over a month ago. This is the Internet. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lynn took over a well rounded team. 

McD started another rebuild.  

You can’t really compare the two because of the differences.  

Please stop with that nonsense.  The Chargers went 5-11 the year before Lynn arrived and for the last two seasons they’ve been playing in a HS football stadium with zero home-field advantage.  The  team McDermott took over was 7-9, with the last loss being a mini tank-job vs the Jets in EJ Manuel’s swan song.  And of course Lynn has demolished McDermott in their two head-to-head meetings.

It’s fine to prefer McDermott to Lynn, but don’t pretend that Lynn started with a big advantage.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lynn took over a well rounded team. 

McD started another rebuild.  

You can’t really compare the two because of the differences.  

You could compare Frank Reich and Lynn and make a fair assessment. 

Holy revisionist history Batman!!! SM took over a team that averaged 8 wins for 3 years, that he “had to” rebuild.  Lynn took over a Chargers team that won a total of 9 games in the previous 2 years and is 20-11!  

I think SM is a dime a dozen head coach but I also wasn’t begging for Lynn either.  But you are completely short changing the job he has done.  They were terrible before he became their coach.

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

Please stop with that nonsense.  The Chargers went 5-11 the year before Lynn arrived and for the last two seasons they’ve been playing in a HS football stadium with zero home-field advantage.  The  team McDermott took over was 7-9, with the last loss being a mini tank-job vs the Jets in EJ Manuel’s swan song.  And of course Lynn has demolished McDermott in their two head-to-head meetings.

It’s fine to prefer McDermott to Lynn, but don’t pretend that Lynn started with a big advantage.

Wow, I just basically typed the same thing haha.

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They won a total of 9 games in 2 years before him and he is now 20-11.  Clearly, he is holding back that team!

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Short answer is yes. I'd rather have an offensive minded coach mentoring a QB. Right now we have a guy who is hailed as a defensive genius but with a mixed record. He also hired a WR coach to be the QB coach and an OC with a history of the worst offenses in 20yrs and no QB development. We could have Darby, Glenn, and Watkins as more pieces to build around too.

This is a great post.  I think SM is an average at best head coach but he would probably thrived with an established franchise qb.  Goff and Mitchell, who were much more polished passers than Allen entering the nfl, took after they fired their defensive head coach and hired an offensive one.

there is some belief that Daboll, a guy who if nfl people were doing a poll would rank as bottom 5 OC, is all Allen needs.  This team has done a great job with the defensive side of the ball.  But man, I worry they are not going to get it right on offense.  We throw parties for scoring two touchdowns in a game.  It can be so much better.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well he did start with a borderline HOF QB.  I know a certain population here will never forgive McD for getting rid of Taylor, but that was a pretty big difference.

But Lynn has certainly done a good job.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Well he did start with a borderline HOF QB.  I know a certain population here will never forgive McD for getting rid of Taylor, but that was a pretty big difference.

But Lynn has certainly done a good job.

Tyrod had more wins in the previous 2 years than Rivers prior to Lynn and SM becoming head coaches.

Personally, I was happy to move on from Tyrod but people are delusional about how “bad” this situation was compared to the Chargers.  The HOF Qb led his team to 9 wins in two years prior to Lynn.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Tyrod had more wins in the previous 2 years than Rivers prior to Lynn and SM becoming head coaches.

Personally, I was happy to move on from Tyrod but people are delusional about how “bad” this situation was compared to the Chargers.  The HOF Qb led his team to 9 wins in two years prior to Lynn.

Yep.  Rivers has had a revival since Lynn arrived and I think Lynn probably deserves some credit for that.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

He didn't? He had Phillip Rivers a potential HOF QB and an overall much more talented roster.

Just because they had garbage coaches in prior years who did less with more doesnt mean Lynn should be given all this credit for merely getting them to play to their potential.

And that Bills prior record is laughable considering they started gutting the roster of high priced overpaid contracts as soon as they got here...

I mean you have such selective memories of what happened its nonsensical...the media and lots of posters said the Bills were tanking last year and would win 4 games...then they make the playoffs and all of a sudden its because they have all this talent? Give me a break dude...get a clue.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

He didn't? He had Phillip Rivers a potential HOF QB and an overall much more talented roster.

Just because they had garbage coaches in prior years who did less with more doesnt mean Lynn should be given all this credit for merely getting them to play to their potential.

Rivers’s career was in decline before Lynn got there—9 wins over the previous two seasons.