Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Certainly, just witness Josh  Gordon signing but replacing  a first round HOF  Tight End is not a trivial matter.  As an aside, Gronk headed for his worst season by far, he has averaged .75 td/game until this year, .14.

Gronk is on the downslope, not sure why he is in games that are already won or lost, but they didn't need him to win the SB two years ago

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I know Gronk has been hurt a lot, but he’s not even 30 years old yet.  Can’t see him retiring.

He has alluded too it frequently, he has had a long history of injuries, especially back dating to his College days, he is a free spirit and is probably tired of not being able to goof off and the rigors of Belichek.  Headed to the HOF, has superbowl rings,  can still walk and his concussion are adding up.  Gronk has limited IQ capacity to spare.   I see a lot more reason for him to retire than for him to continue on, makes total sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Right, his point was it now looks worse because he is doing it even when guys are open. He was speculating that Brady and his camp are so determined to keep him healthy that he is thinking more about his own health than making plays. 

And he's doing it WAAAAYYYY before a defender gets close to him.  He sees someone coming at him and goes "fetal" immediately rather than standing in there to the last moment hoping someone gets open.

18 hours ago, Commonsense said:

He was forced to let Jimmy G. go. He had it all set up. He also had a trade set so he could move on from Gronk. Bill the GM hasn’t been that impressive but it looks like he would have been right on both of those moves.

Are you buying into the narrative that Brady cried to Kraft and forced Jimmy G out...I am.

42 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He has alluded too it frequently, he has had a long history of injuries, especially back dating to his College days, he is a free spirit and is probably tired of not being able to goof off and the rigors of Belichek.  Headed to the HOF, has superbowl rings,  can still walk and his concussion are adding up.  Gronk has limited IQ capacity to spare.   I see a lot more reason for him to retire than for him to continue on, makes total sense to me.

IMO, Gronk is smarter than he puts out on the exterior.... at the least, he has received and acted on good council from his family and maybe agent.  

I wouldnt be shocked at all if he leaves with house money thinking about long-term health.  All those earnings saved, some rings, almost certainly the best ever at his position and a HOFer.  He could kick back, not worry about training camp, Belichick owning his soul, etc ever again.  Probably will have some sort of entertainment career.  DWTS would be a certainty.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think Daboll believes the passing game is very important, if you look at what he did with Alabama's QB in the second half of that NC game he took that offense from the dumpster to winning a national championship by throwing the ball downfield.   

He doesn't have the weapons  or the QB yet.  But you saw what he did with Barkley last week.   I think when Allen is ready that's what we will look like.   An offense that can push the ball downfield.  

Bama is not a QB school.

they just run roughshod over whatever the D throws at them

maybe they will be forced to think 2 games a season

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bama is not a QB school.

They would have lost that game had Tagaviloa not gone out and threw the ball all over the place.  

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bama is not a QB school.

you obviously know very little about alabama. although not all that have been under center went on to have a great nfl career but I know two off the top of my head that are enshrined in the nfl hof. 

they also have a kid here in 2018 that shows some real promise as well.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

That is the Belichick MO, but Brady was untouchable. Kraft will come to regret that, and hopefully soon. Belichick went one further and got rid of the next guy on the depth chart too, so I wonder if Kraft realizes what’s happened and things are tense already? I hope so!  

I hope so too!

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

I totally agree with you there. I think he is too prideful/arrogant to accept that he is less than the best and would hang them up at the realization of that. If they win it all this year, I could very well see him calling it a career.

Brady's ego is huge.  He surely would want to go out as all-time leader of TDs and Passing Yards.

The problem is Drew Brees.

Passing TDs is held by Peyton at 539, Brees has 509 and Brady has 505.

Brees has 21 TDs so far this year with 9 games played.  Brady has 17 with 10 games played.

Drew Brees and Brady could catch Peyton at the end of next year.

Brees has 73,046 yards to date, Brady has 68,907.

Brady would need at least a full year after Brees retires to catch him.  That is assuming no injuries with both.

If Brees plays next year it may cause Brady to think about retiring because he won't be able to catch him unless he plays 2 more years!

Either way I would bet the Kraft would back ANY decision Brady makes whether it's good or bad for the overall team.

• Like (+1) 1

When the Bills beat Brady in NE without any excuses (you know like "Gronk, Edleman are out, Half their o-line is hurt, it's week 17 and they're resting all their players" whatever excuse a Brady fan can have) then and only then will I believe he's hit the wall.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, no name said:

you obviously know very little about alabama. although not all that have been under center went on to have a great nfl career but I know two off the top of my head that are enshrined in the nfl hof. 

i've been watching almost all their games for 45 years now, tape them and delete when it's become garbagetime

they beat the living hell out of a totally outmatched cupcake 10-11 times a year and the announcers and fans dance  aroundand boast like this is an actual accomplishment

it's not really Bama's fault, they aren't forced to play a real team out of conference and eventually have to play real opponents

so yeah, i know a ton of a lot about Bama

GO AHEAD, NAME ME THE GREAT QBs FROM BAMA THAT HAD STELLAR NFL CAREERS....

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

i've been watching almost all their games for 45 years now, tape them and delete when it's become garbagetime

they beat the living hell out of a totally outmatched cupcake 10-11 times a year and the announcers and fans dance  aroundand boast like this is an actual accomplishment

it's not really Bama's fault, they aren't forced to play a real team out of conference and eventually have to play real opponents

so yeah, i know a ton of a lot about Bama

GO AHEAD, NAME ME THE GREAT QBs FROM BAMA THAT HAD STELLAR NFL CAREERS....

Starr, Namath, and Stabler.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

It wouldn't shock me, if the season turns mediocre to poor for them, that all three (Bill, Tom and Gronk) all call it quits before the 2019 season.  Outside of Brady, the team legitimately needs to restock in many areas. 

I could see Belichick simply becoming the full time GM.  Brady has nothing else to prove.  Gronkowski had to be coaxed to play yet another injury-filled season.  Doubt he'll do it again.

Greatness is always finite.  

I really don't see Gronk coming back next year no matter what.  I think Brady WANTS to come back, but it depends on how this year goes.  Best chance of him coming back next year is if he stays healthy, plays very well down the stretch, but the Pats lose in the playoffs.  He'll want to come back for another shot and he'll think he can carry the team to do that.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Bama is not a QB school.

More TBD college football experts!  Awesome.  You'll be surprised and delighted to hear that an Alabama QB is going to win the Heisman this year, and next year if he sticks around (he will). 

I propose a new TBD rule:  if you're going to talk about college football  in general, or alabama in particular, that you be required to watch a college game at least once a year

44 minutes ago, no name said:

This millenium? You do understand that he's referring the Saban era, right?

And yes, I like Tua. But he's the first legit QB prospect Saban's had.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I really don't see Gronk coming back next year no matter what.  I think Brady WANTS to come back, but it depends on how this year goes.  Best chance of him coming back next year is if he stays healthy, plays very well down the stretch, but the Pats lose in the playoffs.  He'll want to come back for another shot and he'll think he can carry the team to do that.

Total sidebar: I've long felt that Gronk will play his last season in the NFL for the Bills.  If NE thinks he's too banged up to come back and lets him go, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him come home.

...said everyone including me since he turned 36.

Somehow he always seems to find another gear/level late in the year to take it over the top--I really really hope it's true so that the curse can finally be lifted on the AFC East, but part of me also wants the Bills to beat him up good consistently while he's still on top of his game sort of, so that it means more--but the other part of me just wants him to be gone, no matter under what terms. The scourge of our franchise who's won more games on our home field that all of our QB's during the drought years, unreal.